how short have you gone?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

how short have you gone?

Post by FLINT »

Has anyone shortened the magazine tube on a winchester 94 carbine (typical configuration, 20" barrel with full mag)? If so how short did you go? and how many rounds does it hold. I'm getting ideas for a new project. I'm definitely wanting to shorten the tube to improve handling characteristics, and also just to do something different. I'm thinking about having the tube stick out past the forend cap just about an inch. the forend on the carbine is pretty short, so that will make the tube pretty short - probably in the 9"-10" range. the older 1894 rifles that would sometimes have half length magazines had longer forends than the later carbines. I don't really care so much about capacity though as I never need more than a couple extra rounds anyways. should be a fairly simple job. cut tube. shorten spring. drill new shallow hole in bottom of barrel for mag screw/end pin. won't need the barrel band.

post any pictures you have of shortened magazine tubes on carbines if you have any. thanks!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: how short have you gone?

Post by Hawkeye2 »

My factory SRC has a 9.5" button end magazine (3 round) and a 9" forearm. How do you figure you can get along without a barrel band to hold the forearm after you shorten the magazine or are you referring to the front band only? You have a carbine with a forearm cap?
Last edited by Hawkeye2 on Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

And here I thought it was a thread about getting shorter as I get older ... :oops:
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Hawkeye2 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:00 pm My factory SRC has a 9.5" button end magazine (3 round) and a 9" forearm. How do you figure you can get along without a barrel band to hold the forearm after you shorten the magazine or are you referring to the front band only? You have a carbine with a forearm cap?
Yes, I have a carbine with a forearm cap, and yes, I was only suggesting to eliminate the front band (since that is the only band this rifle has). Its a Sears model 54. I'm glad that you confirmed that a 9.5" magazine will hold 3 rounds, as that is exactly the length I was thinking of going with.
Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:02 pm And here I thought it was a thread about getting shorter as I get older ... :oops:
hahaha, oh man, yeah, I already know all about that......
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

'

You will still need to retain the forend wood, and after the magazine tube's shortened, a good rule of thumb for cutting the spring to length is to make it's frre length 1-1/2 times the length of the shortened magazine tube.

Here's the thread about what's involved:

viewtopic.php?t=68578

The thread's about a Winchester 92, but the identical principals apply to Winchester 1894/94"s.

Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Sears model 54, that explains a lot. I had forgotten they even existed, good gun to customize. Is the left side drilled & tapped for a Sears scope mount? If so here's a sight to cover them up with:

http://www.peabodyrifle.com/sights.html
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:02 pm And here I thought it was a thread about getting shorter as I get older ... :oops:
I was having that problem, but getting on the testosterone replacement made things better.... :o
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Won't the forend wood be loose if it only is held on by being wrapped around the magazine...?

I'd think it really has to have some barrel band or cap to hold it right... :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My really old SRC has it's magazine shortened to 4 round length. Was that way when I got it about 60 years ago. It's a 25-35 but that doesn't matter just the fact that it shoots much better groups this way.
For several years I put the full length magazine on it but got much larger groups with it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:59 pm Won't the forend wood be loose if it only is held on by being wrapped around the magazine...?

I'd think it really has to have some barrel band or cap to hold it right... :?
yes, so the underside of the barrel has this little guy.

There is a screw that goes through the forend cap and through this little dude and holds the forend on very securely.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

M. M. Wright wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:52 pm My really old SRC has it's magazine shortened to 4 round length. Was that way when I got it about 60 years ago. It's a 25-35 but that doesn't matter just the fact that it shoots much better groups this way.
For several years I put the full length magazine on it but got much larger groups with it.
I really like the look of that rifle! and in 25-35 no less. very cool.

I was thinking that accuracy may improve without the magazine tube anchored to the end of the barrel.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Carbines with shorter than standard magazines, regardless of length, have a domed magazine cap with a small tenon at the top. It fits in a small emission slot cut into the bottom of the barrel to aid in retaining it and the tube.
A button magazine on a 94 will hold 3 in the tube. A 2/3 will hold 4. There is a very scarce 3/4, that I assume holds 5, but I've never owned one.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Old Win I can remember seeing those different length magazines in the hands of the elders in town when I was in grade school but I haven't seen one in over 50 years. I do know my half magazine carbine is the handiest rifle I have ever taken into the woods. Shot my first deer with it when I was 14, still have it.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm at work now, but can post pics when I get home. I have several short magazine carbines. They are fairly common here.
The lightest 94 I've ever handled is a half mag 38-55 SRC with gumwood stock that I have.
The short magazine examples, in my experience, are always more accurate, also.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Well, I cut the magazine tube down tonight and I'm pretty pleased with the way it looks and handles.

I cut the tube to 9 1/2" and it ended up being about 9 7/16" after filing, etc. Extends past the forend cap about 1 1/2" and it holds 3 rounds just fine which is plenty for my uses.

I haven't drilled the hole in the barrel yet for the magazine end pin screw, though I'm not sure I need it as the forend cap really clamps down on the tube. I'll still do it though as otherwise I'll always worry about it flying out.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Winchester didn't make any Trapper carbines for a long time, then 35 or so years ago they came out with them again but they were very pricey. At the time I knew I could buy a beat up '94 in just about any pawn shop in town for $125 or so. It would take another $300 on top of that for one of the new Trappers. I decided I could make one myself so I cut the barrel down to 16.25" and shortened the Mag tube about 1/2" shorter than that. I cut the Mag spring on a trial and error basis to get the right spring tension and it would hold 2 rounds in the tube with one up the spout.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

FLINT wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:54 pm Well, I cut the magazine tube down tonight and I'm pretty pleased with the way it looks and handles.

I cut the tube to 9 1/2" and it ended up being about 9 7/16" after filing, etc. Extends past the forend cap about 1 1/2" and it holds 3 rounds just fine which is plenty for my uses.

I haven't drilled the hole in the barrel yet for the magazine end pin screw, though I'm not sure I need it as the forend cap really clamps down on the tube. I'll still do it though as otherwise I'll always worry about it flying out.

Now THAT'"S how a rifle should look. Put a receiver sight on it. Or better yet a tang sight to give it a longer sight radius then give us range report. I think you're gonna like the grou[s it'll shoot.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

M. M. Wright wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:54 pm
Now THAT'"S how a rifle should look. Put a receiver sight on it. Or better yet a tang sight to give it a longer sight radius then give us range report. I think you're gonna like the grou[s it'll shoot.
Thanks! Will do!