I've got one of those opinion polls that kind of boils down to how many angels can dance on the head of a pin sort of

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

I've got one of those opinion polls that kind of boils down to how many angels can dance on the head of a pin sort of

Post by wm »

I've got one of those opinion polls that kind of boils down to how many angels can dance on the head of a pin sort of debates ……… but since things seem slow I'll throw it out there just to elicit some opinions and maybe some stories and gain some wisdom.

Which do you recommend for stuck in the house due to winter storm sort of firearms practice?

A) Paraffin wax bullets with primers

B) Rubber X Ring bullets (https://www.meisterbullets.com/AWSCateg ... er-Bullets)

C) Speer Plastic bullets and cases ( https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bul ... llet-cases)

I like the Speer …… because the cases can't get mixed up with live ammo & the projectiles are reusable & less messy then wax. For a couple years I used wax, taught to me by some old hands at the club who were dedicated Bullseye shooters. It is a great way to practice but …… there is no way to make working with hot wax easy and worry free, the wax is not easily reloadable because it picks up everything from carpet fibers, paper, dog hair, etc.

I've seen the rubber bullets, I have a friend who likes to use them and they work fine but I still prefer the Speer system. His father was a big fan of the fast draw shooting sporting back in the day and he still uses his paraffin cartridges now and again. My buddy, his dad, & I got together Wednesday and horsed around in the barn. We accomplished very little, drank a lot of coffee, and had a great time.

I can definitely see the utility of paraffin in 'odd ball' cartridges like 11mm French or 30 Carbine or 476 Enfield (his Dad was loving on some on some of his OLD revolvers)

Any opinions to share?

Wm

P.S. Anyone ever experiment with the Speers with rifle primers? Out of a carbine? Any issues with pistol barrels longer then 6"? 6" is the longest I have messed with so far.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I've got one of those opinion polls that kind of boils down to how many angels can dance on the head of a pin sort o

Post by Pete44ru »

IME, 1,275,187 angels can dance on the head of a pin.....

Regarding practice ammo, I've always used the EASY button, choosing the plastic/re-usable boolits & cases in my revolvers.

A cardboard box filled with newsprint & laid on it's side with a paper target hung across the opening worked good - I used my basement as a range, and my wife said she thought my shooting was me nailing something with a hammer.

I've always practiced outdoors with my 1911's, like the postman (in wind, rain or snow) - using milsurp ammo.

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I've got one of those opinion polls that kind of boils down to how many angels can dance on the head of a pin sort o

Post by Ray »

When I was just a wee lad santa brought George C. Nonte's "Handloading for Handgunners"...... the next summer we found a discarded model 10 in the vacant woodlot at the corner of oakdale and 41st. street. Being a gun enthusiast I was given custody. A can of rosenal for cleaning and a bottle of mineral oil loosened it up.....

Hunting uncle over on Charles Ave. and later 42nd. Street gave me a box of spent federal .38 specials......

Mom canned in those days so paraffin slabs were available but seldom actually used for their intended purpose.....

The local otasco had small pistol primers......

It wasn't rocket science but as major nonte advised the flash holes had to be opened with a 3/32" bit to prevent primer setback......

I learned the hard way that primer ash is high in lead content.....

Capt. Forsyth up on 41st and skyline dr. kept hearing the "pops" and ultimately confiscated our toy.....

fast forward 20 to 45 years....

x-ring brand hollow bullets last between a dozen and a score of shots......

the more solid speer brand will raise quite a welt and cause voluble swearing.....

the speer bullets with the same brand rubber cases are the easiest form of reloading.....
m.A.g.a. !
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

While we rarely have snow rain does drive us indoors. So...
Good old BB's
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It doesn't involve firing projectiles, so is different, but is still valuable practice....

a) a laser-sensitive target and either laser-emitting cartridges (more expensive, but good for common cartridges since you can use in many guns) or a universal slip-in-the-muzzle laser-emitting unit. Both rely on hammer-fall to work, so you have to re-cock 1911's. Glocks you have to rack the slide, and AR-s are.......really a PITA.

or

b) a recently acquired MantisX unit. You have to really watch the video to see why it is so fun....AND I think actually useful (the Indiana State Police are using it, which is somewhat of an endorsement)... - https://youtu.be/ZKZz0iJAhkg
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "