Winchester Model 12 Super-X

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester Model 12 Super-X

Post by 6pt-sika »

I just purchased a circa 1954 Winchester Model 12 Super-X 12 gauge 3” field grade that’s had a Simmons ventilated rib attached . Gun has 30” barrel , I know most of these were 30 or 32 inch . Did they make any with factory original 28” or possibly 34” . I can just imagine how long a Model 12 with a 34” barrel would seem !!! I suppose I need to find a copy of Dave Riffle’s Model 12 book :roll:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester Model 12 Super-X

Post by wm »

I'm no expert on these things but I have seen some local waterfowlers still using model 12s with heavy waterfowling barrels that were long …… maybe 32" or 34". They like them for the speed of making follow up shots.

I suppose old Gun Digest books would hold the answer for you.

Wm
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

wm wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:08 pm I'm no expert on these things but I have seen some local waterfowlers still using model 12s with heavy waterfowling barrels that were long …… maybe 32" or 34". They like them for the speed of making follow up shots.

I suppose old Gun Digest books would hold the answer for you.

Wm
There were plenty of them made with 32” barrels , a Model 12 collector on another forum told me he’d never seen or heard of a factory original 34” in any model 12 .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ll get my gunsmith buddy use his Amazon account to order me a copy of Dave Riffle’s Model 12 book and quite possibly the older George Madis book .
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The model 12 is a grand old shotgun! Buddy of mine has the same as you do, 30 in full and it throws OO like nothing I've ever seen! Easily keeps an 8 pellet load in the vitals at 50, he has killed deer at 70 with it.
Another buddy has left his to me, sure hope I dont get it for many more years!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've got a Super X Trap grade factory engraved, but on the 1400 action that I bought in the 70's. They were designed to feel like the Model 12, but be semiauto. It's a tack driver, and the most accurate shotgun I've ever owned. Also have an original Field Grade 1400 I bought later on for hunting. I bought the then optional Winchoke barrel, and 4 different chokes. Nowhere near the quality of the Super X, but darn if it doesn't shoot very close to the Super X.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:13 pm I've got a Super X Trap grade factory engraved, but on the 1400 action that I bought in the 70's. They were designed to feel like the Model 12, but be semiauto. It's a tack driver, and the most accurate shotgun I've ever owned. Also have an original Field Grade 1400 I bought later on for hunting. I bought the then optional Winchoke barrel, and 4 different chokes. Nowhere near the quality of the Super X, but darn if it doesn't shoot very close to the Super X.
Actually the Super X1 semi autos were to well made seems to me I read somewhere the manufacturing process for these was to expensive and that’s why they didn’t sell the greatest . We had a pair in the shop 3 or 4 years ago with exceptional wood . One was skeet the other trap and they WERE LNIB sold them for $1250 or $1500 each can’t remmember which price .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:25 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:13 pm I've got a Super X Trap grade factory engraved, but on the 1400 action that I bought in the 70's. They were designed to feel like the Model 12, but be semiauto. It's a tack driver, and the most accurate shotgun I've ever owned. Also have an original Field Grade 1400 I bought later on for hunting. I bought the then optional Winchoke barrel, and 4 different chokes. Nowhere near the quality of the Super X, but darn if it doesn't shoot very close to the Super X.
Actually the Super X1 semi autos were to well made seems to me I read somewhere the manufacturing process for these was to expensive and that’s why they didn’t sell the greatest . We had a pair in the shop 3 or 4 years ago with exceptional wood . One was skeet the other trap and they WERE LNIB sold them for $1250 or $1500 each can’t remmember which price .
Very true. Especially when you examine the Super X next to a regular 1400. The materials used to make the steel receiver vs. the 1400's aluminum receiver, plus the general fit and finish both internally and externally. But the real killer was the cost to put out this quality firearm. The average shooter wasn't going to pay 2x-3x the 1400 price to own a Super X. Took a very particular person to buy the Super X. I think I paid right at $200 for my 1400, even with the optional Winchoke barrel and 4 chokes.
I actually put mine up for sale not long ago for $950 and it's minty. But I got absolutely no lookers at our monthly gun show. People around here are not shotgun guys. A shotgun is a very tough sell around this area, regardless of what it is.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

This one is supposed to be delivered this coming Tuesday December 3rd !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The Model 12 Heavy Duck arrived today . In a lot of ways it looked better than I anticipated . The rib just might be what’s considered factory . When I got home I took it out and shot one round each of factory 3” buckshot #1 , 00 and 000 at 25 yards . Amazingly they all shot nicely in the full choke barrel .
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I was guesstimating when I said 32 or 34. I knew they were a good bit longer then run of the mill 28 inch barrel.

Sounds like you got yourself a good waterfowler there. Or turkey. Or maybe even coyote if you are into that.

Good for you, I hope it serves you well for years to come.

Wm