The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Old Savage »

Six, I don't really look for things - just buy what comes along.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think the only thing that cat has honed is the sound of the can opener! 28 lbs- ol Fabio needs a gastric pouch :lol:
Seriously tho I am NOT a cat person. Yeah sure they hunt but I'd put any Jack Russell terrier against any cat and then we will do a body count per which killed more!!

I told the owner of the hood ornament I might bolt it onto my 07 Ram ! Just gotta figure out how to get it to exhale diesel exhaust and tiny little red eyes!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, I won an S&W M63, who has one? ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ain't dat somethin'? Never knew the ram was a dodge thing for so many years.

Fred's on a roll....FRED, I AWARD YOU FABIO! but.....you will have to pay the astronomical price for shipping. A 63? Nada..never had one....the money is in the big frames.

Jay....I ain't picking you up in my Jeep...that dang coat is big enough to lose my Jeep in.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK...I've decided to be hoggish with bandwidth....it's the price Leverguns pays for entertainment from a pro (me :D ) which continues to draw in capital from advertisers.

Here's the story.....we have a cast bullet match this weekend....the last one was dismal with the 175 Saeco's....so I loaded up some 215 Lyman's and seated them out so far they are only an inch from the muzzle. :D I go to my new Sixgun's Shooting Shack with the mighty BAR.......Load and shoot...KEYHOLE!....load and shoot 3 more...KEYHOLES......Cannot figure this out as the BAR has a 1-10 twist so I walk down to the 50 yard target and see why.......I WAS SHOOTING LOW AND THE BULLETS WERE HITTING THE DIRT AND SKIPPING INTO THE TARGET.

So......I go back and give the scope one full turn.....shoot...3" low.....adjust and shoot again.....2" high and one inch to the left. Give the scope one minute right windage and bingo! Shoot 3 more and put 4 shots into 3/8" of an inch.....I'm ready baby!

The set up with the giant silencer.

Four keyholes!

The problem.

Final target...one shot low but in the paper...next shot 1" to the left...make adjustment and put the last four rounds into 3/8" with perfect windage....should be "on" at 100 meters. Ahhhhhh 8 and 1/2 pound trigger.----6....0

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

3/8@50=3/4@100=1&1/2@200 and you are still minute of steel critters!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Gunny,,,,maybe...at the longer ranges wind plays a huge factor on slow moving bullets with pizz poor ballistic coefficient. Our cast bullet matches are a "paper thingy" closest shots in the center of the CBA targets is the winner. I'm not too good in this game, refusing to buy a 4K set up...but....I have a great time bs 'en with the boys, farting on each other, wheeling and dealing guns..things of that nature.

Two hours after shooting down two branches today I decided to work on one of the stumps out front....here I am with an axe chopping roots and a state cop pulls in the driveway......he says, "we got a call about someone shooting and I'd knew right where to go...been shooting?" Me...."yea, had a few branches that needed to,come down..used a shotgun and knew where the shot was going." He must have laughed for 10 minutes saying, "you shoot down branches with a shotgun?"...me..."sure, I ain't climbing up twenty feet and taking 3 hours to do a job that can be done in 30 seconds."

I know the caller was not calling about the BAR because those loads were real quiet , being subsonic and through the silencer. The shotgun was loud.

The cop laughed another 5 minutes telling me I was not doing nothing illegal and he just had to come out on the call. He wished me well and down the road he went. Before leaving he told me he liked my Trump barriers at the end of the driveway.--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ha! Good for ya Six- nice to know some troopers still have a sense of humor. AND he is not a libatard!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Gunny,

In Keith's "Hell I Was There" he talks about putting three or four .45 slugs through a suspicious looking gunny sack, "Just to sorta loosen up whatever was inside." I love cats, but if you get a 30 pound box from Six the .41 should work. I'm thinking that whatever's in the box might not be in too good a mood and you don't wanna take too many chances in life, now do you.

Even though it's only a .41 (and not a .45) it still should loosen things up a bit. :)

Six,

Just a thought but you might want to be a bit careful with that silencer. Looks a bit flammable and every time a guy shoots through it there's probably some unburned powder left behind. Just FYI.

Cat
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Any Freedom Arms or black powder fans?

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Black powder? Not me...only have three b.p.guns....1862 Colt Police, Civil War Rodgers & Spencer (unfired) and some type of a muzzleloader rifle TC renegade 54 cal.

I hear ya Cat.....that is a big issue...this gun range in Downington had these tunnels you could shoot through and my buddy, who,owns Targetmaster told him it's a potential hazard....one day....whoooooof! No one got hurt but the place closed down.

You guys are hurting my feelings on Fabio.....I'm gonna cry.....Fabio is my orange pal...just for that I'm gonna make a roast out of him and eat him!

1862 Colt..shoots great!

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

We're hurting your feelings? It's not Gunny who's stuffing the little guy into a Flat Rate Box . . . he'll just, uh, help him by unpackaging him. Yea, that's it. Unpackage. :)

Cat
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wait just a minute, I won Fabio but he is a SoCal outdoor cat, allergic here. I have 5 BPs so a winner there. And an old favorite returning here.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I had enough! Got mad so I threw Fabio in the wood stove...you guys coming over for cat burgers?

Laying down and trying to watch Fox News....Twinks climbs on my chest and starts staring in my face.

That's a dog (Miss Apple) to the left of my leg. These guys put me to sleep every night.

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Critters are pretty wonderful companions, ain't they?

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

4am and I wake up to 3 dogs licking their hind ends! WHY cant you sleep until 5!!?? Yeah I know 4 is really 5, the girls dont understand day light savings. Sure wish President Trump would just put an end to it all!!

I'm allergic to cats too- unless they are in chinese food !! :lol:

Ok I wont shoot the FedEx box, I'll reship it up to Jay. :D
Hmm, I have 5 black powder guns, .32 TC , .50 TC, .50 Pennsylvania long rifle, .54 Lyman, .32 door jamb gun. The door jamb gun I use as a mouse trap. Got it as a Christmas gift, that night i rigged it up in the garage around about 10pm BOOM! Go look for the victim but could not see a mouse. That spring while cleaning the garage i find a mouse cut in half under my toolbox! 10 gr of FFFF and paper towel wad is a little overkill for mice!

Here, I mounted the Ram on my Ram
20191119_153314-600x800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Where is everyone this fine morning!? Oh yeah , Six is still sleeping, probably all the rest of you!
Well while you guys are counting sheep I've been hard at 'work'!

Here is the latest silverware divider, this one is black walnut and it's for my kitchen.
20191120_105110-600x800.jpg
20191120_105125-800x600.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I'm here Gunny...got up a bit late....11 today.....hit the sack at 1:15.....took a poop and pee at 6, then got out of bed. :D

That ram looks good on your truck...a couple of 6" 1/4" x 20's with some lock washers and double nutted will hold it on tight. I would not waste the time on drilling the hood...just hold the muzzle of a .22 tight against the metal and you'll get a nice 1/4" hole

You and I have to catch up this fall/winter.....I'll give you what walnut I can get in the Jeep for smallish projects like your dividers.

Keep thinking about these moulds Cat wants....I wish he would just get on a plane with a suitcase full of cash....or at least a brief case FULL..... :D ---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That sure is quality work on the dividers....perfectly square ...no gaps in the joints....you write "2's" just like me.....

The round sander...is that just for curved surfaces or do you make a jig and run through straight boards?--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That is an oscillating spindle sander, up & down as it spins- mostly for stuff ya cant get with a random orbit sander. Goes from 1/2" to 3" diameters.
I should hope we write numbers the same, we learnt English just the same and numbers is numbers... :D

Just glued up the outside section, tomorrow morning I'll glue up the internal parts.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK...I picked up English here and there.....I do know all of my four letter words pretty good.

My 65 year old bones are tired....I got out a mega stump today....three of the roots were 8-10" in diameter. Many were 3-6"...I hand axed out a few and then a light bulb came on in my head. CHAIN SAW.....I just took an old chain and cut right through the roots.......by the time I got through it the blade was spitting out saw dust.....back to the garage and a quick sharpening with the Sears chain saw sharpener....(it's just a big heavy duty Dremel tool with a flex shaft) back out and take out a couple more roots...back to the garage .....3 more times and I had most of the big roots cut.........wrapped a chain around it, hooked up the mighty Kubota and yanked it out.

There was still a "mound" with big roots under the dirt so I pulled them out one by one....THEN.....STOPPAGE....the mighty Kubota would not pull it out....so.......got the Jeep Rubicon, put it in 4 wheel drive, low range, and turned on BOTH axle locks....that got it out.

Put everything in the trailer and out to the swamp out back....got the tractor stuck in the two feet of mud......put on the rear locker and still stuck....then another light bulb...used the loader....turned the loader down, stuck it in the mud then moved the bucket out so that pushed me backwards about a foot....got it out with 400 pounds of mud on the wheels THEN.....

Drove the tractor through the pasture ....past the house and onto the road......put the tractor in high range.....drove fast down the road and all of the mud flew off onto the road. Funny....watched the liberals who use our back road for a cut through zig zag
around the mud piles. :D I was LMAO watching this mud fly all over.

This was taken right after the tornado...its the tree to the left that looks like 4 trees together...

This is the stump I got out today...MEGA stump.....look at the green line I used for editing...at the end of the line was where that stump used to be.....all smoothed out....there's two smaller stumps after it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:02 amHere is the latest silverware divider, this one is black walnut and it's for my kitchen.20191120_105110-600x800.jpg20191120_105125-800x600.jpg
I'll say the same thing the gynecologist told one of his patients....."Nice box...!"
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:34 pm...look at the green line I used for editing...at the end of the line was where that stump used to be.....all smoothed out....there's two smaller stumps after it.
A couple of years ago the pipeline people came around and pulled a 450-yard section of 16" pipeline underneath a hole they bored under the nearby river. Anyhow, they had all sorts of huge equipment, including this chipper/shredder that looked like a railroad car on treads, and a huge three-fingered claw on a giant tracked vehicle that they pretty much just ripped out 100 foot tall trees with by pulling them over. They would then just drop the whole tree in the shredder, rood-ball and all. The bigger ones like you show they might have a guy with a giant backhoe smack a time or two to split before shredding.

Scary-powerful machines....I told my wife I'll bet the mafia owns lots of 'tree trimming' businesses - you could sure dispose of enemies with stuff like that.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I hear ya Doc......back in the day they used horses and hand axes...then they used dynamite when you could still buy it in hardware stores...(my dad remembered that).......I did it in a day......a man with a heavy back hoe could have popped out that stump in two minutes.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks Doc!

Six you need yourself a big spool of primacord! Just put a wrap around the roots & hit the GO button! I knew a guy in CO that did that to clear his lot for a cabin.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 pm Thanks Doc!

Six you need yourself a big spool of primacord! Just put a wrap around the roots & hit the GO button! I knew a guy in CO that did that to clear his lot for a cabin.

Got any? I still have 5 more stumps to get rid of. I'll trade ya Jays Flattop for 30' of it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, looks like it is a good thing I left my trailer there. ;-)

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred...your log!!! It's in the picture....still has a few roots hanging from it...I can trim them.....

Ya know..what's the difference between my working days and retirement? Not much, except I used to get paid for my work. Average price for stump removal is $500 around here. I worked all day...hard.....and only thing I got was stuck in the mud, fell in the mud....tractor is filthy.......and......we had leftovers for dinner.......

"The Gunny" called me last night and wants me to accompany him to his cabin for deer season. Thinking....thinking....last time I was there I ran my leg over with the Jeep......not thinking..--6
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Six,

Oh man. Me flying down with cash would be the best solution for the moulds, you're spot on with that. Too bad I can't. I could pick & choose and rough date the rest. That'd be a blast.

'Course you could stuff 'em all into a flat rate and I could do the same thing here . . . :) Too bad we don't know each other better/longer.

That's a good way to tackle work like that stump in my opinion. Attach one then wait a while and hit another. That all of 'em all at once and darn the torpedos is for young bucks.

Cat
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:10 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 pm Thanks Doc!

Got any? I still have 5 more stumps to get rid of. I'll trade ya Jays Flattop for 30' of it.
Hey, hey......woah there! :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Man! I been MIA for just a little bit and look what I miss.

Gunny and Six at huntin' camp? :shock:
That's a picture......

And Cat......
Oh no! I don't want you pawing around in my...er...Six's gun room. Nothin' to see there! No sir.....nothin'. You just forget all about that.
Besides, it's all old stuff piled everywhere. You wouldn't care for that. I saw a big spider when I was there, but I'm from Maine so there's usually a few in my bed. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sadly no I don't have any primacord. Just drill some holes into the stumps, pour in a bunch of black, set a fuse and watch the show, hey what about tannerite?! Bet the state troopers show up again! :D

Not me Jay- I don't have a huntin camp- Six is talking about the 'other' Gunny. You should go Jack even just to sit and relax!

Well I'm taking today for a shooting day, gonna go blast some clay birds, do a little coaching, joke around with the guys.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh yes! That's right.
Sorry buddy. I'm coming off a "no sleep day".
Now I gotta saddle up and hit the woods. Wish my old man would smack a big ole "stava".
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:00 pm I hear ya Doc......back in the day they used horses and hand axes...then they used dynamite when you could still buy it in hardware stores...(my dad remembered that).......I did it in a day......a man with a heavy back hoe could have popped out that stump in two minutes.
One of the general surgeons where I trained had a large farm in the family, and his hobby was blowing up stumps/trees with dynamite - he'd see if he could lift the entire tree 10-20 feet by digging auger holes down under the center of the roots and putting dynamite there.

I said "What about being a surgeon - your hands, and so on...? " He just said "With dynamite you don't really worry about blowing a finger or hand off - if you screw up, your widow gets a check..." :|

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya know Six if ya sell a bunch of molds to Cat, a couple more Marlins to Tom, a few Colts to Jay you could have enough cash to go buy a hoe attachment for the Mighty Kubota! Then you could dig out the stumps!! Can I borrow it?

SUBJECT CHANGE-
Anyone powder coat cast bullets? Looking for opinions on coating/ traditional lube...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Doc!
That's the sign of a first class man, if you ask me.
There is nothing better than blowing stuff up. You'd have to be dead not to think it's the best kinda fun.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes sir, goes along with 'here hold my beer'
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Yea...must be something with "blowing things up". As a kid we used to take shotgun shells apart, get the powder, put the powder in a rifle case,,drill a hole and put in a cannon fuse...we though we were being cool.

To this day I LOVE watching the military History channel watching stuff get blown up...I've even told the wife...when it gets late, "I have to see some stuff getting blown up before I go to bed." and turn on the happenings of WW2 and St. Adolf.--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

We had a guy in deer camp in Maine one year that snored- LOUD! finally after 2 nights of the other 6 of us not sleeping one guy, an electrician "wired" this guys bunk. Told him if he snored again we were going to electrocute him. Just romex that he wrapped around the legs of the cot, tossed the rest of the wire underneath. Well this guy didn't sleep a wink the rest of the week but we sure did!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Well Six, I guess it's set in stone now: OldWin says I can't come, I can't! Thoughtful of him to point out that there's nothing but a bunch of old stuff in yer gun room and I wouldn't enjoy it. I appreciate someone looking out for me like that.

So, I suppose you're just gonna hafta mail all them moulds off to me after all! Oh well. I promise to send some back! (12 gauge shotgun slug, .33 caliber round ball, you know, the good stuff).

:)

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I got it Cat! He can send the box to me, I'll take what I want then send I'll send them to Jay and he can send the to you :lol:
Or we can do it to you first, you probably NEED em more than I do!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Just trying to be a good friend, Cat. You sure are lucky to have me lookin out for you.
Your old pal,
Buffalo Jay
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

IN PERSON! Autographed!

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Thanks Jay. You sure look like a friendly fellow in Six's pic, although that's a funny looking levergun.

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Irish fog here this morning! Just a bit more PROOF than I needed last night! Fog was thick enough that I spilled my coffee!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Irish fog? I thought it was London fog. Maybe Irish fog has potato whiskey in it. :D

Ahhh...what do we do today? Mmmmmm.....got to head to the tire shop and wheel and deal a set of tires and mags for my daughters Jeep....she's not good at these things...she just pays what they tell her.....---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Pouring here today. I ain't hunting in this weather.
Ran to the range real quick and zeroed a red dot on my 10.5" 5.56 pistol upper. That little thing shoots great. Better have ear plugs though.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Little rain here too, helped out one of the neighbors this morning, put up his deer fence, as we were pounding posts a dozen doe's & fawns ran through the yard.
Then I ran for dawg food, bank & hung out at the fly shop for a couple hours. Maybe I'll go load some of those cast 41's...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, is the PM working on your current account?

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage...yep....got a pm from Jay yesterday......

Geeze..go to the tire shop and the guy said some things that would take me too long to explain...come home and tell my daughter who's here on a visit....she says...(highly educated now)....".F them, he don't know what they are talking about, I'll go somewhere else." Whew, her and her mom are tough minded people...and everyone tells me my daughter takes after me...dunno....

Stop at the WaWa to get 15 gallons of diesel for the tractor....young guy (30) comes up to me and asks me if anyone ever gives me any S about my hat (red MAGA)......I tell him, "young man, I'm 65 and the worst thing (for them) anyone could do to me is to F with my family, my Jeep, my guns, or my hat." He laughed, agreed with me 100% on Trump and has continual arguments with guys at work over Trump.

Well....ain't much of a day left....think I'll head out to the shootin shack and put up some tarps...maybe fanny burp a few times while in there. ---6