The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by OldWin »

Hey Six! JUNKER!!?? Are you doing the old "Buffalo Coat Bait and Switch" on your old pal Jay? :D
Just bustin' your nads, buddy. :D

Griff,
Your killing me man! I thought you and OS liked ole Buffalo Jay? Now you're just ripping my guts out! :D
If your wife didn't care for 7.5, I would have no problem making it what she would have wanted. Even if it hurts "value", it doesn't matter. Like the truck, you'll never sell it.
The thing with AR's.......there just isn't that much that can be wrong. Glad you got her runnin!

Gunny,
You and Cat are the last ones not beating on old Jay. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Griff......ahhhhhh......don't worry about the value unless you need that extra $200 to eat with.....it's yours.....do what you want.......your not destroying history ........it's not an el primo first gen......another thought......as easy as barrel swaps are on a single action Colt, just go buy another........you'll pay that much for the sight swap, unless you can do the job yourself.

Gunny......the early bird gets the worm but I no longer give a F. Since I was 6 years old until 62 I had other people dictate when I was to get out of bed....no mo jo. F dat! It be noe my time. Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeettt m.f........

Jay......here's my Flattops....the three on the left are 44's....the three on the right are .357's except the middle one which is an early Colt in 38-40.....(you missed that one).....the one on the bottom right is a 4 and 5/8" and has hard rubbers.....it's earlier than the other.....one.....you....may...be ...having....the 10" and the 7 and 1/2" 44's are big loot....it would take a grand (maybe) to get my 4 and 5/8" and I have 1200 rounds out of it.---6. Good guns are better than money in the bank...probably why I have little in the bank. :D ---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, I see I might have one representative newer model and Six has half a dozen originals. Probably true across the board.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Old Win won this page! His prize? 2 pheasant carcasses that Parker flushed this morning!

Just got a 2 sad text messages, friend lost their dog yesterday, vet thinks a tumor burst..
Second text from a shooting buddy and one of our old friends passed last night.

Jay I've no reason to bust yer nuggets, I dont have that you WANT that will fit in yer pockets! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

There! Just got my deer meat back from the butcher.
There were a TON of deer hanging in there. Lot of big ones getting taken this year.
When I went out back to get the head, mine was still the biggest on the pile.
I've seen so.e real smashers that have been shot on FB, though.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Are you going to wait 60 days and have it measured?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay won two pheasants? Gunny...how do you dress pheasants...pluck em or skin em?

Remember back in the sixties-seventies when pheasants were all over the place...I almost always limited out.....can't remember the last time I saw one. No one hunts small game anymore.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

How do I dress a pheasant? Well a tuxedo with tails of course! :lol:
Normally I just breast these birds, they run on the small side as they are young but if it's a big bird ill take the thighs and drum sticks too. One of the guys smokes whole birds, pretty hard to get lit and they are hard drawing!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:07 pm How do I dress a pheasant? Well a tuxedo with tails of course! :lol:
Normally I just breast these birds....(You,mean you squeeze the soft stuff like Old Savage?) drum sticks too......you mean they play the drums? One of the guys smokes whole birds, pretty hard to get lit and they are hard drawing! He must have a big bowl on that pipe!

:D --
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:20 pm Are you going to wait 60 days and have it measured?
Measured?
You mean score the rack? Naw. It isn't good enough to bother I don't think. That is a relatively new concept up here. It still pretty much goes by weight.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh man! That was funny Jay......."relatively new concept"......

i have a book that was printed sometime in the sixties and it shows the heaviest whitetail on record....300 and some pounds...shot in Maine with a .33 Winchester in the fifties.....Even then, there were no scales in Maine and had to have one brought in from Vermont to weigh it.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

No...you don't have double vision....your looking at two like new 99% Ruger Flatgate .22's. See the skinny 1/8" loading gate?...These are the best shooting Ruger ever made as the bore diameters are .223 as opposed to .224 of later ones to accommodate the .22 Magnum ctg.

One made in 1955 and the other 1957....dododododododododod do we hear $600....ddood. ...$650...dodomtodo....do we hear $700?........SOLD! ---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Whoa, what happened here, who bought them. Can I have them ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

They aren't consecutive numbers they ain't worth it :lol: !
Those are very nice!! I'll have one, Fred can have the other!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey Gunny....what are you doing up this late? Did the "pheasant under glass" keep you awake.
V
Fred...you can have anything I have.....it's all only stuff.----.22. You too Gunny...take your pick.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Six sure has a nice pair!..........of Rugers!

Yes, that deer was shot just up the road from me. It wasn't a scale they had to have brought in.......it was someone to READ it. :D
Badum badum ching!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, ... oh to decide ;-)

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OldWin wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:37 pm
It wasn't a scale they had to have brought in.......it was someone to READ it. :D
That's all I can take. This guy is good...lmao! (We are still laughing at the tv car commercials in Maine....used cars on people's front yards! Any on cinder blocks? :D

I'm hitting the sack....up early tomorrow, hopefully by 9
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, I'll just leave you with this. This is a lawn ornament in Maine. Yup, a cow made from a 55gal drum.
I just realized, I have a "front lawn used car dealer" nor 300 yards from my house. I will have to snap a pic!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Back from the range sighting in a couple of rifles... and plinking with the Browning 1885 in 45 Colt... and my son found the ONLY round w/o powder in a 45ACP Ammo can full... And, wouldn't you know, I left the brass rod on the living room floor...
Anyway, 1903-A3:
That's 2 clicks down, then 2 clicks left... about as tight I can hold. (Shot on the upper edge... ? I don't know, only fired 4 rounds). Maybe from the 45 Colt?

20" barreled parts gun, .223 Wylde:
That's 1st ten shots from a brand new barrel... spraying them around until I retighten the scope base!!! Buddies' wife called and we packed it in, didn't get a picture of the good group... or even measure it... but it was about the size of the 4 shot group just up & right of the center... Maybe I'll go out to the pasture tomorrow afternoon and see if I can replicate the group.

Beautiful day here today... made even better with a visit to a real range, with real benches... choice of steel benches or concrete... I'm down to #17 on the list to join. If not next year, then maybe the next. Glad deer season is already here, no overcrowding, all afternoon I saw maybe 6 other guys, spread out over 6 or 7 different range bays.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OldWin wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:06 pmWell, I'll just leave you with this. This is a lawn ornament in Maine. Yup, a cow made from a 55gal drum.
I just realized, I have a "front lawn used car dealer" nor 300 yards from my house. I will have to snap a pic!
As Jeff Foxworthy said, "...if half the cars you own are on blocks in the front yard, you might be a redneck!"

It seems rednecks ain't limited to the deep south!!! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh, they ain't Griff. We had a good ole boy here at work from Mississippi. He told me one day he was over west of me and stopped at a gas station so his boy could take a leak. He said he was kind of afraid. Said it was the most redneck place he'd ever seen. :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good shootin Griff. I'm starting to have a tough time with irons. Well, with bead front sights the most. I don't wear glasses or anything but probably should get to the eye doc.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Them parts gun ARs can be exiting. I put together a pistol in 5.56, took it out to sight it in and see how it shot. Target at 50. First round on paper! Adjusted the sight and the second round was closer in. With the next pull of the trigger seven rounds went down range before I could get off it. Nine holes in the target with three pulls of the trigger. Bad. Very bad. So I sent the hammer/sear back to the supplier and they sent me a new set that behaved much more better.

Them's some pretty sixguns, Sixgun. I wish Ruger had made the flattops in .45. I'm really a sucker for a .45, always have been.

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's a good question! What was I doing up at 930? Waiting for my phone to charge that's what!

Oh heck, it's almost the holidays, I'm in a giving mood- let Fred have both of those Rugers!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

...on to "built" AR's.......they were great when the average good AR was a grand or more.....heck, you can buy Colts for $600 nowadays. What twist Griff? With a good rest, good scope, good 77-85 gr. bullet seated correctly, an AR will punch the lights out of a clay bird at 500 meters.....

Cat...I do have a Ruger 45 that's rarer than any Flattop.....an old model 45....only 23K made....(I think)....near NIB with extra cylinder for acp.

Jay...looks like a propane tank for a head on dat cow......I also noticed the long ramp the guy has...for a wheelchair or skateboarding maybe? Rednecks are everywhere.....I've said before, Pa. has Philly on the east, Pittsburg on the left, and Alabama in between. (I'm in between). I'll take a redneck anyday over a liberal, city dweller, or a self proclaimed "elitist"....

Well..well....what do I get myself into today? Think I'll put the finishing touches on Sixguns Shooting Shack.--6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, question here. I have a three screw Ruger .45 and a .41 twin. Now are they Old Model? The 45 appeared to be unfired. The 41 was used very little both would look as new.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:37 pmSix, question here. I have a three screw Ruger .45 and a .41 twin. Now are they Old Model? The 45 appeared to be unfired. The 41 was used very little both would look as new.
Whatever you do, DO NOT send that 3 screw .45 Colt to Ruger for any reason whatsoever. If it breaks, or you just wanna get rid of it... I'll buy it. Name a price...
Uh, did i just move this thread to the classifieds? :roll:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred....The box is an old model box and the 45 serial number is for an old model...VERY desirable especially with the box, paper AND MOST IMPORTANT, the 4 and 5/8" barrel. Yours did not come with the extra cylinder. It was made in '71 maybe early '72. The The 45 O.M. Has the lowest production numbers of all standard calibers. Yours is worth some semi serious bucks....not sure...got to check Gunbroker....guessing over a grand....

I'd ask for it for I know what the answer is gonna be.....ahh......what the hell, can I have it?

Can't see the 41....if it has three screws it's an old model.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well time to take Claro to the vet...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! Good stuff OS.
I must not live right. All these cool guns and I'm left with a pile of old junkers. Well, at least Six is holding that flat top for me. He must be taking pity on an old hick. :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, when I got it s couple collectors on the Ruger forum begged me not to fire it. Alas it has had a cylinder full through it, very accurate. So the value I suppose is gone ;-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here you go Griff. This is offhand, only rds through it.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nothing wrong with that group! Hope you gave it a good cleaning and put it back into safe keeping!? On the other hand go shoot it, enjoy it and have fun with it!!

Well vet couldn't find anything definitive but prescribed 2 different NSAIDs, 10 days of rest ( shh dont tell her she cant hunt this weekend!!) and if not better then maybe do an xray...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! I'd have to shoot more than a cylinder full OS! :D

Gunny,
Hope the pup is better soon.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You and me both Jay! She is too young to retire and WAY TOO much drive to quit now!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny..I think it would pay you to go to school and learn being a veterinarian. Have an office in a room in the house....sure would save you some serious bucks.

Jay..not so sure I want to sell the Flattop.......I'm afraid that steel cow would be a bad influence on it."....or you might shoot it and the cops would get the gun.

Anybody want a 28 pound cat that lives next to the wood stove and drops cigar sized turds? We probably spend as much on cat litter as we did on horse feed.---6

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

. . . and the horse pelosi smells much better!

Cat
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

.41 made in 66, twin to the 45.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice .41 OS. I have one, but it's a New Model. I worked with a guy that one just like yours. Tried to get it, but no deal.

Six,
Don't say that! I won't shoot that cow. It's way too classy to do something like that. :D
Didn't get a chance to get a Front Lawn Car Dealer pic. Had to have my truck lined up. These great roads up here......
There are plenty around though. I will get one.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Looks great Os.....you old bugger you!!!! You have been holding out on us...what else you have lurking around? Whatever you do, if Jay comes over make sure he leaves the buffalo coat out in the truck.

Speaking of Jay, I've been cleaning up and polishing the Flattop he is getting. Here is a picture of the finished product. Tomorrow I'm going to blue it just the way Ruger did them.---6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

OW, New Model you say. Stainless?

Six, seems we have similar OMs. What do you figure their worth would be.

What is lurking ... well, a Marlin 410 maybe 1932,

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. I can old Six is gonna gonna ride me somethin' fierce with this Flat top. :D
He knows he's got me and there ain't nothin' I can do. :D
My buddy........ :D

OS,
No, mine is blued. It's a 6.5 and has a SB gripframe fitted to it. It's actually my dad's. He has had it for years.
He had a 4.625 stainless in .357 but sold it cause it was too heavy. There is a nice 3 screw SB over there too.
I should go visit, where's my Buffalo Coat? :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, three screw SBH you say, this one from 67.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. Looks just like that one. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Thanks but NO- I don't need a feline turd maker- 3 Labradors is enough!

Boy all these single actions is making me want to go shoot mine.

As for going to vet school, naw then I'd have to work on cats and I am NOT a cat person!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh boy! Jay!....you and I need to have a visit with Old Savage.....I'll distract him and you parade around with the coat on. Leave it open so it flops around.....it's harder to tell what's in the pockets that way..

Fred...I've been "out of the loop" on super blackhawks for the last couple of years. Flattops, flatgate, and anything low serial numbered I stay up on.....regular old models don't bite me the way they used to...i pretty much feel the same way about old Winchesters made after WW1......I've always figured that a visit to Gunbroker is the best way to price these guns........and see what they are going for and then take off 10-15 %.....more percentage on well used guns, less on pristine examples.......CONDITION SELLS......

Just got back from the chiropractor......feel good....think I'll go outside and throw some 100 pound logs around....that will cure that good feeling.---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny....I just Fed Ex 'ed Fabio the big cat to you. Be on the look out for a 28 pound package....this cat is a gentle giant....very nice...if you don't have a bed for him, tell Claro to find another place to sleep.... :D ---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok I'll do penetration testing with bullets from Catshooters mould he sent me on any & all FedEx packages :D

Just finished up another hood ornament base, owner says it's from a '25-30 Dodge.
20191119_135335-800x600.jpg
Base is mahogany.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey Six, you read my mind! Come pick me up with your Jeep, I will get my coat! :D
Apparently, OS has been holding out on us. :D

Thats a cool hood ornament, Gunny. Having had a bunch of old Dodge trucks.
Shoot Six's cat! Come on man! :shock:
My wife's aunt had a visceral dislike of cats. She was afraid of them and wouldn't stay in the house with them here.
I've always had em. I like them because they are hunters and keep a lot of vermin cleaned up around the yard.
Now Six's fine specimen looks like a first rate performer. He is honed to a fine edge. :D