Winchester 94 carrier/lifter/elevator

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Leadhound
Levergunner

Winchester 94 carrier/lifter/elevator

Post by Leadhound »

Seems to have different names. The story goes I bought a 94 at an auction, just received, lifter is not functioning with lever, have verified that it is not stuck. Have dealt with many Marlins, but never any Winchesters, haven't even begun to tear down. Figured I would check with you guys of a possible culprit/solution before I go poking around inside. It is a 30/30 dated 1956 with minimal wear, if perhaps that will help any.

Thank you, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Winchester 94 carrier/lifter/elevator

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire Leadhound, I'm sure help will be along shortly... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

First thing I would do is take it apart and CLEAN it! Could be as simple as it is gunked up ( WD40) and then reassemble and function test. Then if the problem is still there you know something else is going on and diagnose the culprit.
I have a very strong dislike for WD40!
Oh and welcome!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

There is a spring involved IIRC.
Tear it down. They are easy to work on.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Cleaning is good of course, but first do this:

First: forget anything you know about Marlins, they are different and operate in reverse,

Second: Open the action and listen for the metallic clink the lifter makes when it pops up.

Third: Lightly hold the lever in the open position and gently push down on the lifter. You should feel resistance as the carrier spring holds it in the up position.
(The lever only moves the bolt to the rear which pivots the carrier past the spring detent, it does not hold or actuate it.)

Fourth: When gently pressing the carrier down, once past the spring detent it should snap down under spring pressure and sit all the way down.

If it does not do this the spring is loose, broken or worn or the spring detent on the carrier is worn.

Note: The carrier screws have a tendency to be badly worn on well used Pre-64s. Their pivot points are rarely oiled.

Joe
win94action2.jpg
win94action1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the fire, Leadhound - We hope you'll stack around and chew the fat with us.. :)

Leadhound
Levergunner

Post by Leadhound »

Thanks for the info and the greetings.
I'm guessing it is an issue with spring or such, something broke, worn, or just missing, as it's not moving at all just lays there when levered.

Dont care for WD-40 on guns either always heard of too many problems. Does work good at cleaning a few things, I know at least one guy who uses it for catfish bait, and I had a girl follow me around wanting to know what "cologne" I was wearing. It has some uses.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Leadhound wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 am Thanks for the info and the greetings.
I'm guessing it is an issue with spring or such, something broke, worn, or just missing, as it's not moving at all just lays there when levered.

Dont care for WD-40 on guns either always heard of too many problems. Does work good at cleaning a few things, I know at least one guy who uses it for catfish bait, and I had a girl follow me around wanting to know what "cologne" I was wearing. It has some uses.
:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Leadhound wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 am Thanks for the info and the greetings.

Even if the carrier spring is broken, when the bolt is fully to the rear it will contact the top rear of the carrier and pivot it up.
If it doesn't somethings probably broken.

I wish I could see the rifle, never had one do this.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leadhound
Levergunner

Post by Leadhound »

Thanks to all whom had a suggestion, this one was my own ignorance. Did learn how to disassemble and reassemble. Not sure how properly, but I didnt booger anything.

Like I said my own ignorance, wasnt operating fully forward, takes a little oomph on that last bit of travel to trigger the carrier. Is that normal?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Leadhound wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:37 pm Thanks to all whom had a suggestion, this one was my own ignorance. Did learn how to disassemble and reassemble. Not sure how properly, but I didnt booger anything.

Like I said my own ignorance, wasnt operating fully forward, takes a little oomph on that last bit of travel to trigger the carrier. Is that normal?
On a little used or new Pre-64 it can sometimes take a bit of oomph a you said. However the proper way to operate a lever gun is one deliberate (not brutal) stroke of the lever down down to when it stops, then one deliberate stroke back to closed position.
Also remember that Winchesters and Marlins lift the carriers at the opposite stroke of the lever, and by different mechanics. So they feel different.

Joe