Does anyone have a Fitz Special?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Does anyone have a Fitz Special?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm sure Sixgun does. Probably a score of them.

I'm just collecting thoughts here. I inherited a little Taurus double-action .38 Special years ago, and it has just sat there. I have nicer double-actions to shoot (Smith & Wessons and Rugers). Then it dawned on me, maybe I'd make this into a "Fitz Special". It certainly can't hurt the value. :wink:

What say ye? Opinions?
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Does anyone have a Fitz Special?

Post by Ray »

I close my eyes and see one of those spoofs of soap opera operating room scenes where the patient is a revolver and the surgeon is Y.K. and the attending nurse is kate upton with scrubs that have shrunk in the wash or perhaps she has outgrown...... :oops:

surgeon : "hacksaw" holding out hand for the implement of destruction.....

nurse : "hackaw" nurse parrots as she hands it to surgeon......

surgeon "dremel mototool with 220 grit sanding drum"

you imagine the rest !
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had to look that one up....Given the hard trigger pull on my 8-shot 22 WMR Taurus, I don't think it even needs a trigger guard...! Now my 357 Mag Tracker is smooth and easy...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ray wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 pm I close my eyes and see one of those spoofs of soap opera operating room scenes where the patient is a revolver and the surgeon is Y.K. and the attending nurse is kate upton with scrubs that have shrunk in the wash or perhaps she has outgrown...... :oops:

surgeon : "hacksaw" holding out hand for the implement of destruction.....

nurse : "hackaw" nurse parrots as she hands it to surgeon......

surgeon "dremel mototool with 220 grit sanding drum"

you imagine the rest !
Hey, any time I can be in a dream with Kate Upton, I'm ALL FOR IT! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

They are fairly easy to do ...
Neat looking ...
Totally impractical for regular use. All it takes is a hard bump to bend what's left of the trigger guard so that the gun cannot be fired.
Not what you want in a self-defense gun.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I've shot them, & they did not impress me. The theory is the are quicker to bring to action but the alteration did nothing for me in that regard and frankly I would be nervous to carry them day in and day out. I have super thick hands but average or even short fingers so the front of the trigger guard has never been a impediment for me. Just my experience and perhaps people with different hand geometry have a more up beat view of them.

There is a S&W victory model on GunBroker right now that someone Fitzed and I was wondering if there was a economical way to restore a trigger guard to it but I think its over all selling price is going to be so close to a normal model 10 that it would not make sense for me to buy it. Its worth checking out just to see what other modifications goes with trimming the trigger guard.

But maybe that would be an opportunity for you …… buy the S&W, sell the Taurus? Just a thought, you do the numbers.

Wm

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842499649
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

True Fitz Specials are interesting weapons, and it would be fun to have one, maybe for the novelty of it. But I never could see the value of removing the front half of the trigger guard, unless one maybe had very big and meaty hands and fingers, possibly with a little arthritis to boot, which might make it difficult to and slower to get one's finger inside the trigger guard for the fastest of fast draws. But for most people, I see little merit. Of course the short stubby barrel and large caliber of the true 45 cal Fitz did have some merit, no doubt in the right kind of holster.

Sikes and Fairborn liked them, or so it was written for undercover work.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I just had Mr. Horvath thin the trigger guard on mine instead of cutting it.
imagejpeg_0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

JimT wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 pm They are fairly easy to do ...
Neat looking ...
Totally impractical for regular use. All it takes is a hard bump to bend what's left of the trigger guard so that the gun cannot be fired.
Not what you want in a self-defense gun.
I agree. Terrible idea and I can't see real practical advantage.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have never carried a revolver concealed, so I don't understand why cutting the trigger guard would be of any use. I never understood wiring the trigger back on an old revolver to slip hammer it either.

Your gun, have fun fixing it up to suit yourself. My opinion is worth what you paid for it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The idea doesn't appeal to me, especially the bobbed hammer. However It sounds like a very easy project and a spare handgun might come in useful in some exceptional circumstances ???
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Closest thing I have to a Fitz. I have an IWB and a shoulder rig for it so it does get used once in a while. 200 grain XTP at about 1000 fps. Should get the job done even with the trigger guard intact.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ray wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 pm I close my eyes and see one of those spoofs of soap opera operating room scenes where the patient is a revolver and the surgeon is Y.K. and the attending nurse is kate upton with scrubs that have shrunk in the wash or perhaps she has outgrown......
Yeah, that will straighten out Jay's, um... back -- yes, his back -- yeah, that's it, his back -- right away.

I'll bet he'll feel NO PAIN in that scenario. :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

There a lot of people that going back to revolvers. I follow a Facebook group and a web page called "I'm with Roscoe." There are a lot of guys there that think a Fitz is the bees knees. In his book NO SECOND PLACE WINNER Bill Jordan did suggest one modification that I might be more inclined to go along with. That was cutting away half of the width of the trigger guard. for a right handed shooter one would cut away the right side of the trigger guard.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Jordan's idea works great for a man with large hands, if you can lay your finger on the front of the guard. Remember the whole Fitz thing was before quality rigs for CC carry and they where just plain pocket carrying, maybe some times in lined pockets.
As a young'un I train with Mr. Bryce and Col. Askins . Mr. Bryce had no use fir them but the Colonel liked them. They are a hoot to play with, but aren't any quicker than newer concealed guns, about the only mod I would make on a pocket revolver now a days would to be BOB the hammer a tad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:54 pm
Ray wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 pm I close my eyes and see one of those spoofs of soap opera operating room scenes where the patient is a revolver and the surgeon is Y.K. and the attending nurse is kate upton with scrubs that have shrunk in the wash or perhaps she has outgrown......
Yeah, that will straighten out Jay's, um... back -- yes, his back -- yeah, that's it, his back -- right away.

I'll bet he'll feel NO PAIN in that scenario. :wink:

Old No7
You'd win that bet for sure! :wink:
PriseDeFer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PriseDeFer »

Lone Wolf Gonzaullas, Texas Ranger liked them...

https://aoghs.org/oil-almanac/lone-wolf ... as-ranger/

Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Mr. Horvath cuts Chevron patterned grooves on the bobbed hammer top so they can still be cocked for single action, you just have to pull the trigger enough to get a grip on the top of the hammer. Jordan's idea on the trigger guard is why mine are thinned, one right an the other left for when wearing gloves.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

The ultimate Fitz special.
75450040_1163033063886269_6406056503530225664_n.jpg
75310394_1163033087219600_6947935776894091264_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.