Nice time in the bullet shop

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Nice time in the bullet shop

Post by earlmck »

Went shooting with some friends on Thursday. From the session a couple of bullets are looking promising so I thought I'd produce a batch of them today. The SAECO pot was full of Lyman #2 and I had one left-over ingot, so I got going with two moulds and poured bullets until she ran dry. Once the moulds have come up to temp (takes me a few pours to get there) it goes pretty quick -- let one cool while pouring and dropping from the second mould, then second cools while I go back to the first. This seems to keep moulds nicely hot without getting to the frosty-bullets/brittle-sprue stage. Took a bit over an hour to make 11 pounds of 38/55 and 357 bullets. And that hour was about 15 minutes longer than the old back was happy about, but I wanted to empty the pot for use with another alloy next session.

A three cavity Accurate mould makes the 245 grain 38-55 bullet.
Accurate38.jpg
And this 5-cavity Arsenal produces a cute little 135 grain 357 bullet.
Arsenal357.jpg
And here they are with a few the lubed bullets and the loaded rounds that result.
Acc3855.jpg
Ars357loads.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Nice time in the bullet shop

Post by AJMD429 »

I miss bullet casting....haven't done it for 40 years... :(

Maybe again sometime...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice looking bullets Earl!!

How ya liking the 38-55 in that cowboy ?

ollogger
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

they look great. what's the weight of the 357 ?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

ollogger wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:27 pm Nice looking bullets Earl!!

How ya liking the 38-55 in that cowboy ?
ollogger
I'm liking it real well Brad. I don't know why I didn't have one of these back when they first came out with 'em. I put a Williams FP on the back and a Lyman 17A on the front and am figuring on whumping some silhouettes when us boys start the shoots again next April.
Grizz wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:49 pm they look great. what's the weight of the 357 ?
It's just a little 135 grainer but out of my Rossi it seemed to be hitting the 200 yard gong pretty nicely the other day.
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Handsome boolits, Earl. Just have to love a .38-55.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

How do the sizes compare on those multi gang bullet molds Earl? Especially the 5 gang? I've found some variances between bullets closer to the handles and those at the opposite end. Not enough to be an issue for my pistols, but for my accurate rifles I abandoned multi gang molds.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:05 am How do the sizes compare on those multi gang bullet molds Earl? Especially the 5 gang? I've found some variances between bullets closer to the handles and those at the opposite end. Not enough to be an issue for my pistols, but for my accurate rifles I abandoned multi gang molds.
The more cricky my back gets the less picky I get -- I really feel abused if I have to cast with anything less than 3-cavities anymore. But both these moulds throw virtually identical bullets from all cavities, near as I can tell. I weighed 15 of the 38/55s after checking, sizing, lubing and they ranged from 248.4 to 249.2 grains. I'd be real happy with that variance out of a single-cavity. I weighed 25 from the 5-cavity .357 mould and they went from 134.2 to 135.2 grains. I might be able to beat that with a single-cavity, but I might not, too.

For anybody inclined to weight bullets (I'm not -- this was just out of curiosity because of Val's question) those electronic scales are really nice!
The greatest patriot...
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Those are plenty good weight variances. My concern has always been weight, but with multi gang molds I am more concerned with them being concentric. I've found the bullets out towards the end weren't as round as those closer to the handle. But sounds like yours are doing well.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/