The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jay Bird

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Jay Bird »

OK.....it's now.pushing 11 pm...at 10:30 the wife notices a car sitting out on the road by the fire, There is nothing more than a pile of coals about 6' round........at 10:40 the fire department shows up...I walk out there and the fireman says to me, "I'm not busting your balls, but we got a call......it's raining outside, your fire is well away from anything, ...you picked a perfect day to burn......but...we had to come out....some a.h. called, must be a city slicker." I laugh, tell him to call the liberal back up and tell them Trump is gonna win big next year. He laughed......but by law he had to inform me that burning can only be done during the day...."BUT....I SEE YOU PUT THE FIRE OUT AMD THERE WAS A SLIGHT FLARE UP so there's nothing we can do. Next thing ya know I was buddies with the guys uncle in high school......we both laughed, wishing for the old days.... which will never come back.

He tells me to have a good night and don't worry about nuttin'.........yea, still,have a "good ole boy network" around here.

Liberals really need to go.-----6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I WON PAGE 21!!!! This post is moving twice as fast as the old Garand Post......highly popular.

Mmmmm..what do I win? I know! A free pass to burn a fire!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six, to answer your question, it's maple. Cat requested maple to match his cabinets.
Cat, yes the mould shipped perfectly, not a dent or ding on the box. I figured it was WW2 vintage, I like it and have added it to my cartridge collection.
Six, not only did you win the page but you were also #1000 ! That is a double win... Your prize is ... Oh I got it! Jay's stump- Sorry no deliveries you must be present to claim ownership!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny...your wrong. Cat won post number 1,000. And to that I award him a custom maple drawer from the north country of New Jersey!

Headed to a gun auction later this afternoon....gonna meet up with some buds for laughs and giggles.----6

https://briggsauction.com/november-8-es ... -military/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, you win. What prize, what prize??? Hmmm
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six- I'll take #7,model 12 trap gun& #18, Remington 3200 please!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

6, B looking 2, C those auction goodies. ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well after too many miles of running around trying to find a box I finally tracked one down. Probably wasted 10 bucks in gas for a $2.50 box but now I can ship Cat's drawers- er I mean drawer divider! :D got 2 coats of lacquer applied, a 3rd tomorrow AFTER I'm done bird hunting!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Sweet! My anticipations are all a-tingle!

Cat
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Can only hang for a minute...got to get to the gunshop.....

First...JAY GOT A MONSTER DEER! FIrst thing out of mom was "Jay got a big deer..it's on Facebook" . I saw the pic...here, I'll post it before Jay does :D

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK..got excited and hit th submit button....

Just got back from the auction..the auction of a lifetime. Seems like anybody with money stayed home. I bought a Winchester low wall half round/oct with a Lyman tang sight in 32-20. Bought a 1899 early Savage in 303...short rifle!....bought a Ruger FT 357....bought a Ruger Single Six FLATGATE ......AND. AND. AND......THE "GUN OF THE AUCTION"...A LIKE NEW MERWIN AND HULBERT 44 nickel plated revolver...my new Holy Grail....these guns are impossible to find and this one is like NEW with elephant ivories.....

More later..got to get to the gunshop.

OH GUNNY.....THE 3200 went for $700. Two Belgium Browning superpowers went for 600 each.. yea...later.Im excited..more tomorrow---8
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Nice, very nice Six. Auctions like that don't happen every day!

Cat
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Major luck out....some of these old Merlin and Hulberts are not marked as to caliber. Mine is not and I assumed it was chambered for the 44 M&H cartridge which is near impossible to make, even for me. So......I go down in the dungeon, dig into my bullet collection and guessy what?...it's chambered for the 44-40! Folding hammer, elephant ivories, ribbed barrel, double/single action

Very strange mechanism...push a latch and twist the barrel/cyl 90 degrees and pull out...then pull another latch and the whole thing comes apart....this thing is put together like a Swiss watch.

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Very cool. And in a great caliber, too.

Cat
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now there is something I have never seen. :)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I had a guy bring me a Merwin Hubert years ago. It had timing problems/ worn parts. I was able to find a few parts and got it back to reliable . He said he was using it for cowboy action, told him to find a Colt or Ruger if he wanted to be serious about it. Although his was a top break.

Not surprised at the dollar amounts those shotguns went for, not the type of critter that is popular anymore. Post pics of the others when ya get a chance please.

I think Jay hung his buffalo coat in a tree and that buck walked up and started to say hello when Jay shot him! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Beat me to it Six! Haha yeah he is a good one. I was blown away when he hit the scale. I figured maybe 180. I sent a pic to a buddy and he said it was 200 easy.
This is my second "patch".
If you shoot a buck over 200, you get in the "Biggest Bucks in Maine" club. Then send a patch and list your name on a roster. Beat my last entry by one pound, back in 2003. Still ain't beat my old man. His was 235 back in 1983.

Good scores buddy! I LOVE the Merwin and Hulbert! :mrgreen:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Buying guns is EASY.........bagging a 200+ buck is NOT.....well done MR. Old Win.---6

Yea Gunny....people don't want the old school shotguns anymore even if they have removable chokes in em. My bud bought around 40 guns, some for $5. In his conglomerate of stuff he got 6 shotgun inserts for Brownings.....in a nice case...for a little over $200. Looked like they were new.

I could only take home the antique M&H last night as the other guns are "modern" and still on the books. All my stuff is on his FFL and I didn't feel like fooling with the paperwork last night, plus, he was busy.

Well. Got to go plug away out front. ---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well the Brown Wonder was the happiest dog on the planet this morning! As soon as I put her bell on she knew it was time to go hunting. She did her usual stellar job, she had 6 flushes, we got 4. Now not to toot my own horn but I got 2 with 2 shells, she had a runner and tried to bring it back but it flew the wrong way, heard it but didn't see it. Gerry missed 1 , got #5 with his 2nd shot and bird #6 Claro grabbed.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well done for the brown wonder and Claro! Give them a pet for me!

BTW, it's OK to toot your horn....as long as it's YOUR horn your toooting.---6

Gotta get out there and get this job done---23307
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

He who toots not his own horn, for him shall no horn be tooted. Maxim in promotion!

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Sometimes if you don't toot your own horn, nobody else even takes it out of the case!

Cat
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice Gunny!
Nothing better than hunting birds over a dog.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Six- the Brown Wonder IS Claro.
Thanks guys, yes I do really enjoy taking the dogs out and watching them hunt. Tomorrow I'll bring both Claro and Parker. Parker has a lot to learn yet!
Catshooters drawer is all boxed up and ready to ship, get it out Monday.
Think tomorrow afternoon I'll fire up the lead pot and pour some 41s!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK Gunny....I'm confused...if the brown wonder is Claro, then why do you capitalize "brown wonder"? Proper English means "brown wonder" is an adjective and not a proper name so therefore, it should not be capitalized. :D

It don't matter...your little buddies are wonders....naturally.

He guys..did you see the look on Jay's face on his post with the deer? He looks dazed and confused, like a UFO is coming straight at him.

Whew! Got about 95% of the clean up done in the front yard. Still have to cut up the logs and remove the stumps. Kubota won't do it...need real deal heavy equipment.....my buds son has a buddy with one of those 10,000 lb Bob cats on tracks. I'll pay him a hundred bucks for a half hours work.

Earlier today this big truck was backing into my neighbors driveway for doing some logging work....long story but it's a tricky back up and cars coming down the road would not stop, going around him making it impossible for him to back in. I saw what was going on and drove the Kubota on the road sideways blocking traffic.....yea, that's how ignorant these liberals are.

I'll leave ya with a happy pic..with the right arm "power salute"

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Iconic!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ya like that Fred? W.P. salute! :D BTW, those things on my head are ear muffs....the Kubota is just off to the side out of the pic.

That fire has been burning for three days solid 24/7. The remains of 8 large trees went up in that pile...except for the main part of the locust trees and part of the maple...the entire 3 white pine trees have been burnt. The pile was huge..then burnt down and built back up probably a dozen times. It was all green, wet, and heavy.....had fun getting that started.....but when the bed of coals gets about a foot thick, anything will burn easily.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Six,

That's a great pic, I like it. You should have your BAR in your hand. :)

Gunny,

Sounds great. I'll keep you posted, thanks.

Cat
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Since I'm not an English major ( like you :D ), just a lowly carpainter/ gummsmiff I'll use capital letters how I see fit :lol: . Since Brown or Brown Wonder are her nicknames and names are capitalized there ya go.
Boy I bet you have every tree hugging econazi in that area up in arms with that fire. It's a shame you couldn't get your hands on dem effigys of shiff, piglosi aoc and the rest ( no caps but I have no respect for them!)

Now for the problem!! Last night Claro started whining and that turned into CRYING whenever she moved. This morning the crying was practically a SCREAM! As we did our morning walk she seemed to loosen up. She ate & drank . No hunting for her today! Gotta call the vet in the morning.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sorry Gunny. Nothing worse than a hurting pet. They want you to help but can't tell you what is wrong.

That pic of Six with the fire looks a 80s horror movie. :D
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:37 pm He who toots not his own horn, for him shall no horn be tooted. Maxim in promotion!
This is called an "Old Savage-ism".
I think this should be a regular thing. Bits of wisdom given on a variety of topics. Whadayasay? :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That pic of Six with the fire looks a 80s horror movie. :D
[/quote]

Jay you are right! Guess we have to chip in and get him a hockey mask! :D

Yeah last night I gave her a half of a pain pill , didnt seem to help. This morning I tried a different one and seems to be giving her some relief as she gingerly got up on the couch with just a slight whimper.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hope she gets some relief soon, buddy.
Zoey has terrible hips. She is a very happy dog and we felt awful. We got her doing much better now. Instead of standing beside the bed and whining in the morning, she jumps in and stops her 80lb carcass all over us. :D
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Six,

Nice find on the Merwin and Hulbert. My grandad's friend had a Pocket Army when I was a kid and it was so finely fitted that when you pulled it apart to drop the empties you feel a slight suction trying to draw it back together. Have you shot it yet?

Eric
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

yooper2 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:58 am Six,
Nice find on the Merwin and Hulbert. My grandad's friend had a Pocket Army when I was a kid and it was so finely fitted that when you pulled it apart to drop the empties you feel a slight suction trying to draw it back together. Have you shot it yet?
Eric
Thanks Eric.....yep...creates a vacuum....I thought there was a spring in there! Looked around, found no spring..WTF?....after all, there's not a lot of info out there on these guns to learn on.....the numbers made were very small and like most guns from the 1870-1890 period, about 10-20% are left...the rest being burned up, sent overseas, lost ....thrown out....

Nope....ain't shot it....100% mechanics...near perfect bore....428 groove diameter but a disappointing .425 cylinder throats..beside, there is an issue with it.....firing pin broke off the face of the hammer....looks like a "twist and pull" operation to keep it from working.....maybe that's why the condition is so high. Gonna get her fixed.---6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK...OK....YOU guys fell into it!!!!!!........YOU HAVE BEEN SET UP.....except for my dear friend Old Savage........

I actually put up a good clean picture of me in front of the fire and something told me to "back it up".

Well, here's my back up to your responses....-----6 :D (never made it to the gunshop to pick up my other goodies....yea, I'm slipping....)

I know, I know,.....I'm not as dumb as I look.........here, chew on this!

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Fire
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well Parker had a good morning, the guys on the other hand not so much! We had 4 birds escape to self stock. One of which was chased by a hawk but the hawk didn't connect! Couple of the guys missed 4 birds! Guys I had with me went 1 each. I didn't fire a shot as we were low on birds. Parker very closely, when she finds scent she puts the brakes on so hard her butt comes off the ground!

Claro seems to feel better but I'm not pushing her to do anything until I talk to the vet . Might have her X rayed to see what might be going on.

Ok time for some grub then I'm going to fire up the lead pot and try this Lyman 41 mould!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You fellows covered a lot of ground since I nodded off at 7 PM last night.

Six, few are they who can appreciate some of your finds. Top of the pyramid like the reference in The Right Stuff to Edwards AFB where the first astronauts trained.

OW, credit on that goes to Dr. Brian Porteus injecting some humor into a long relicensing seminar.

Gmack, hope all works out better.

Here is a bit of fall desert, way different than Maine and other parts east.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gunny, I once had a patient named Ceasar. He was a 140 lb. Great Pyrenees show dog. He hurt his neck playing tug of war with his sister. This injury also affected his hip so he had trouble walking. We x-rayed and adjusted him under anesthesia at a vets office. The adjustment was to the atlas vertebra at the base of the skull. Ceasar made a fine recovery. His owner bought this drop headpiece with inscription in thanks. It is like the one I borrowed to make the adjustment.

I have had some similar success in a couple other cases by playing with a smaller dog by lowering the snout and alternately shaking it and letting them shake it back and forth like a game breaking a fixation between the skull and first vertebra, the atlas. This is where the brain stem becomes the spinal cord. Here in animals and humans the nerves can become impinged to cause tight muscles in the back and pelvis leading to back and hip pain.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Mr Fred....NEVER did that enter into my mind...on chiropracting dogs.......sure....they wrestle and jump around with no thought as to what they are doing to their bodies. I like that Fred..the owner of Ceasar showed his gratitude...a trait rarely seen today. Good guy I'm sure.

Never saw a desert like that Fred....been pretty much home bound since the fifties.

GUNNY.......YOU GET CLARO OUT TO FRED! For real, no bs....

Hey Jay...you like to laugh at me do you????...on the pic looking like an 80's horror 🎥 (movie).....well, that far off look of you in your picture looks like your looking at a UFO coming right at ya! :D

You gotta admit, we have LOTS of fun here...good clean fun with a touch of education. ----1885
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Seeing pics of Maine takes me back 30 years, 10 years, for Penn., 24 for home in NJ.

Here is a view over my patio.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I dont know if it's the pharmaceuticals or what but Claro is on & off the bed, couch outside running around !! Pinch a nerve? Pull a muscle? Local vet has an animal chiropractor that comes in and treats pets. I'm going to rest her a couple days then work her and see if she has pain again... I dont need a broken Brown Wonder!

Well I fired up the lead pot, warmed the Catshooter mould on the woodstove and dumped 100 or so nice looking bullets!
20191110_125448-600x800.jpg
My back got to hurting , I have to get a lower stool or raise the pot!
Out of the mould they are 211+/- and .413.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Six, Ceasar's owner is a woman, high up in the aircraft industry in her specialty. She has been a patient for many years and also lent me most of the money to buy the jeep before we settled from the accident.

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks for the desert pic OS. I really want to get out to see the desert.
It's just so different than here. Read a lot of Louis Lamour over the years and have always been intrigued.

Nice lookin' slug Gunny!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Driving to the golf course today you could see 50 miles in any direction.

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Good lookin bullet Gunny, that size and weight good for you?

I know what you mean about the back hurting while casting. For me, I realized that I was holding the mould up just an inch or two when filling the cavities, and that is what was hurting. For crying out loud. I put a short piece of 2x6 under the spout and let the mould rest: fixed.

Cat
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Your bullets look good Gunny...you know what your doing.......Right...the trick to long casting sessions is to have either the stool or the furnace at a height that keeps your back from bending....if that don't work, take a stool sample and put it on your neighbors windshield....... Cast for an hour...take a 10 minute break......do you have a thumb?...I only see four fingers. A man's hands tell a lot of what he does ......mine have calluses a half inch thick.....yours look like your an expert at knitting doilies. :D

Sorry for the b.busting......I'm miserable ...9 straight days throwing logs around...jumping on and off the tractor a thousand times hooking up the chain....piling branches on the fire.....DEALING WITH THE LIBERALS.......got one big locust stump out today, yanking with the chain and Kubota, swinging an axe, slamming roots with the mattock......the loader barely lifted it up a foot or so and it's rated for a thousand pounds. The only pleasure I'm getting is coming on here for 20 minutes.

Wish I was rich like Old Savage...golf course every other day...sunshine...warm weather....girls running around near naked.....go to the office for a couple of hours and squeeze a few young 26 year old vixons, pretending to put their bones back in place....collect big checks and off to the golf course. .....with more soft stuff and swimming pools with drinks at the concert....

I'm sick of it...wood, logs, leaves, diesel fuel, dirt, smoke, nosey people, liberals, rubber neckers, chainsaws, mixing fuel, sharpening axes, bending over and picking up 14 million branches..filthy dirty, destroying clothes, and then at the end of the day I'm told, "you don't spend no time with me"...---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah yes, the concert. Let's revisit the concert. ;-)

And the little dog seems quite happy.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Man, I feel like such a slacker, 1st time in more'n 15 days I've been here. Back home after dealing with Oregon beaurocrats and family. Six, 1st let me say this... if you give me till the 1st of next week, have 20" Stihl will travel. (Gettin' work done on pickup, new Ked's and lowered suspension. Do you need 1-ton or will 1/2-ton do?) Let me run to dump to get the farm trailer cleaned off from my cleanup earlier this year, I'll be there in a couple days.

I'm truly tired of playing lawyer with officious beaurocrats... "no, that form isn't filled out right... you now need this one... yes , we understand your mother just died, but the forms HAVE to be done "properly"..." Just one long drawn out Naval Expletive would have made me feel so much better.

The Rose is in the shop again, after getting some work done, and had a suddenly developed vibration after shop "fixed" it! Trailer is in shop getting new roof where stupid forklift operator put forklift thru it! Some incompetent UAW dweep, "oh, did I do that"?

Sides, I wanna bring my new auto loader and have you help sort out cycling problem...

Jay, color me green... :mrgreen:

Gunny, those look SO much better'n the plastic drawer thingies in my kitchen... hint, hint!

Tom, I'm jealous of you gettin' to deer hunt also! :mrgreen:

Cat shooter, Welcome.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!