Advice - mini 30, AK or sks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Advice - mini 30, AK or sks

Post by ollogger »

At the tender age of 64+ I bought my first center fire semi auto, its a mini 14, I like it well enough that I was thinking
about a mini 30, being I know pretty much nothing about them or pros & con on the ak -sks or the mini I thought id bring this
up for a hashing out, but these are the only 3 guns am interested in. Sixgun on another thread said its hard to believe that the sks or ak is more reliable than the ar guns? it got my attention when he said that, but no way do I want a ar gun in any shape way or form, so if you read this Jack id like to know more on the reason why you feel this way
And of course every one else that has experience with these 3 types of guns

ollogger
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Advice - mini 30, AK or sks

Post by GunnyMack »

WHAT purpose are you proposing? Home defense? Plinking fun or a truck/ farm gun?
Sure a good AK or SKS are proven in battle, they most always work! The Mini is a modified M1 Carbine ( for argument sake) are reliable to a T - provided you have good ammo!
The mini is probably going to edge the others for accuracy.

Home defense I lean more toward a shotgun for obvious reasons.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have had several Mini-14s and really like them. Their biggest issue is accuracy when they warm up but the newer ones are much better as I understand it.
In the past, the Mini-30 has suffered from accuracy issues due to groove diameter issues. They bored them to .308 while the 7.62x39 is actually. 311. If this is still the case, I would look at the 300BO version. There is a better bullet selection for it. However it won't be as cheap to shoot as 7.62x39.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Thanks Gunny, some plinking with the gun would be normal, but mostly a just in case you have to run gun, I do hand load so would have a good supply of ammo, home defense gun not likely, have others that are set up for that

ollogger
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

If I was goona get a 7.62x39mm. The ak47 made by Palmetto State Armory would be the one I'd get.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Someone once compared the AK to the AR saying that the AR is a rifleman's rifle. Meaning a rifleman that will take care of his rifle and keep it clean and well oiled. The AK/ SKS rifles will not generally be as accurate but the will still run even if neglected.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Mini-30 is bore diameter .308, but it has a long throat that swedges down the bullet from .311 to .308. Handloads with .308 diameter bullets are about 2 inches at 100 yards. Cheap Russian brass coated soft steel bullets are about 5 inches at 100 yards. As the barrel heats up it gets quite a bit bigger. Mine is the 196 series in stainless. Unlike PillHer's SKS, my Mini-30 has never jammed. That SKS now just sits in the Gun Cabinet as it jams every 10 rounds or so, and that is with any magazine you can get.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well.....I typed up a nice answer, and.....lost it..... :roll:

Short version:

I'd consider a Ruger in 300 Blackout, because it is easily suppressible, and your reloading could take advantage of the supersonic 110-125 grain bullets around 2,200-2,400 fps as well as the 220-240 grain bullets around 1,000 fps, but you can also get bulk 'grab-and-go' ammo. The sighting options for the Rugers are great, as are aftermarket stocks.

The Ruger in 7.62x39 is good too though, and the ammo bulk-available, as well as if you can get brass cases you can reload for it. I believe the bore is .308" on them [edit - early production guns only - later .311" - see post further down). Also easily suppressed.
Both Rugers have tons of aftermarket stocks, sights, gas blocks, and so on so are easily moulded to just what you want.

The AK is a great way to irritate Snowflakes, and is an iconic gun, but is not as 'low-profile' if you wanted to be less notices in a bug-out situation....of course sometimes the intimidating profile of an 'AK' might be an advantage as well. Great durable high-capacity magazines too. Aftermarket sights exist, but not as many options as the Ruger. AK's with the factory folding stocks sure 'look cool' if nothing else... :D

The SKS is a durable military-grade action and offers most of what the AK offers, but I think might be more accurate, or at least more easily equipped with stocks and sights to facilitate accuracy. I think the Rugers would beat both, but haven't verified that with my own guns (I have a semiauto AK, an AKA, and a Ruger in 300 Blk). Tapco makes some good aftermarket stocks and such that make the gun more ergonomic and appealing.

All of them are great guns though. I tend to think that with the same amount of ammo ready to grab I'd go for the Ruger, but it doesn't have the 'history' the battle-proven ones do, even though the Mini-14 is a scaled-down semiauto version of an M-14, and the Mini-30 is chambered in one of the most enduring battle-cartridges ever....
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Ak's out there these days are all parts kits thrown together by one importer or another. I've had several and none of them would group under 3" at 50 yds. The last one was a complete waste of time, wouldn't feed more than 2-3 rounds at a time and my 1960s Chinese beat to snot surplus SKS shot circles around it.
I have an AR that I put together with a Stoner upper and Stag lower with a Hyperfire trigger. Quite accurate if I do my part and stick to ACS magazines.

My favorite is my Mini Thirty though. Scout mount and stabilizer came from Accuracy Systems Inc. It didn't really need the adjustable gas block / stabilizer but it did shrink the groups down a bit. Just looks cool though! :D
This picture was from sighting in the new Leopold. If I do my part, it will shoot 1 1/2- 2" at 100 yds. I had a Mini 30 years ago but at the time, the accuracy wasn't so great and the magazines were an issue. Anything other than the factory 5 round mag was junk.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Howdy Brad!.......the boys above all said it really well and I can't add much....if you want a scope the Ruger is the way to go. All of them are so so in the accuracy dept with the Ruger in the lead.....they will all do 3" at 100. Like Jay says, Rugers start to spray when they heat up but there's an aftermarket cure for that. The Ruger wins hands down in the long range department and in your neck of the woods, a 100 yards ain't nuttin so that's something to think about especially if you want a dual purpose gun like prairie dog gun'.

Forget the Ruger in the 7.62 x 39 dept......it's a loser as an SKS can be bought for half the price and you can beat them up, drag em behind the truck, leave em in the rain and they will work. .223 or nuttin.

If you just want a kick around gun for blasting cans when your having a few cold ones, the SKS is hard to beat. Cheap to buy and cheap to feed...shoot 10,000 rounds out of it and throw it in the trash. Aftermarket mags for 30 rounds are available...kind of a PITA to change fast but they work great.

Your call bro!---6
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:19 pm
piller wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:26 pm The Mini-30 is bore diameter .308, but it has a long throat that swedges down the bullet from .311 to .308.
This is simply not true. Ruger has repeatedly tried to debunk this myth but it still remains. The proper bullet to use handloading for a Mini-30 is a .311/.312 bullet. Many owners of Mini-30s who load using good quality bullets report sub MOA accuracy. While I have a 583 Series Mini-14 that produces 1.25 MOA groups with Hornady 62grn fmjs, I've personally shot 1 of Sandog's 3 different Mini-30s (Sandog is on Ruger forums and others) which with good quality .311 bullets produces sub MOA groups as well.
Interesting - I looked at one when they first came out and the gunsmith said they were .308"....that guy has passed away since then (not from shooting 0.312" bullets in his Mini-30 though :wink: ). However COSteve knows stuff, so I found out BOTH are right 8) , at least according to Brownells:

"This rifle is chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm cartridge. This cartridge, traditionally, uses a projectile with a nominal diameter of .311 to .312 inch.

At the time the Mini-30 was introduced very few bullet makers where producing .311/.312 inch bullets for reloading in the light 125-130 grain weight required. Ruger initiated the use of barrels with a groove dimension of .308 inch and a long tapered throat. The throat allowed the use of ammunition with .311/.312 projectiles by gradually squeezing them to the .308 diameter. In addition, ammunition loaded with more commonly available .308 diameter bullets could also be used.

Commencing in 1992 Ruger initiated a change to using .311/.312 nominal groove diameter, 1-10 inch right hand twist barrels in all Mini-30's. It was likely well into 1993 before all rifles coming of the production line incorporated the .311/.312 barrels.
"
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:53 pm
COSteve wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:19 pm
piller wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:26 pm The Mini-30 is bore diameter .308, but it has a long throat that swedges down the bullet from .311 to .308.
This is simply not true. Ruger has repeatedly tried to debunk this myth but it still remains. The proper bullet to use handloading for a Mini-30 is a .311/.312 bullet. Many owners of Mini-30s who load using good quality bullets report sub MOA accuracy. While I have a 583 Series Mini-14 that produces 1.25 MOA groups with Hornady 62grn fmjs, I've personally shot 1 of Sandog's 3 different Mini-30s (Sandog is on Ruger forums and others) which with good quality .311 bullets produces sub MOA groups as well.
Interesting - I looked at one when they first came out and the gunsmith said they were .308"....that guy has passed away since then (not from shooting 0.312" bullets in his Mini-30 though :wink: ). However COSteve knows stuff, so I found out BOTH are right 8) , at least according to Brownells:

"This rifle is chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm cartridge. This cartridge, traditionally, uses a projectile with a nominal diameter of .311 to .312 inch.

At the time the Mini-30 was introduced very few bullet makers where producing .311/.312 inch bullets for reloading in the light 125-130 grain weight required. Ruger initiated the use of barrels with a groove dimension of .308 inch and a long tapered throat. The throat allowed the use of ammunition with .311/.312 projectiles by gradually squeezing them to the .308 diameter. In addition, ammunition loaded with more commonly available .308 diameter bullets could also be used.

Commencing in 1992 Ruger initiated a change to using .311/.312 nominal groove diameter, 1-10 inch right hand twist barrels in all Mini-30's. It was likely well into 1993 before all rifles coming of the production line incorporated the .311/.312 barrels.
"
+1 what COSteve said regarding bore diameter for the 7.62x39 on the Mini 30. My 583 series Mini 30 is .311 bore and shoots quite well with 125 grain up to 150 grain bullets. But my Ruger M77 chambered in the x39 has the .308 bore and shoots way better than my Mini 30. I did once have a CZ 527 but the bore on that was .313 and didn't shoot good at all so I got rid of it. One thing for sure that CZ was the best handling carbine I've ever owned!

Mainehunter.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

So far I like the idea of the mini 30 & so do the guys that own them on here, did not know the mini came in 300 BO
that would be close to the 7.62X39 with a lot more load data going for the BO & heavy bullets, as far as a nail driver shooter
I don't care, if it shoots like my mini 14 off hand a 100 yd on rapid fire & I can keep it in 10 in group with the factory sights
that's all I care about, its a bug out gun & it has to work if called on to save my hide if need be, or to feed me or other folks
I have plenty of guns that would work but no semi autos other than a mini 14 but would trust the mini 30 more on the taking
of large game up to the size of elk or moose, price of my choice of gun does not matter, but then maybe a pair of sks guns
wouldn't be a bad idea?

thanks for the responses so far
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Another consideration (good and bad) with the 300 Blackout Mini-14 is that the cartridge uses the same magazines......

.....good in terms of inventory......bad in terms of you do NOT want to have a magazine full of 300 Blackout cartridges get put in a 223/5.56 chambered gun.....supposedly the bullet will get jammed back into the case upon 'chambering', and if it chambers enough to allow firing, the .308" bullet will not 'swage' down to .223" caliber, so [very] bad things can happen. :?

I have both, but keep my magazines clearly marked and separate, and would not take both to the range at the same time unless I was being very, very meticulous.

I would expect (and believe I have read that) the less tapered 300 Blackout to feed and function better in the Mini-14 than the 7.62x39, since it was designed around the 223 case, but never having owned a Mini-30 myself, I would defer to those who know rather than speculate.

If you really wanted to take an elk or moose in 'survival/emergency mode' with any of the guns mentioned, you might be needing really good shot placement (favors the Rugers) and multiple hits (the SKS needs modified if you want more than 10 rounds).

If you have the time and inclination to find folks with the different guns in question you could handle or shoot, or the money to buy all of them and sell all but the 'winner' (I've done that a few times... :oops:...it's just so hard to part with the runner-ups... :cry: ), you might just want to handle and shoot them all and see what one really 'feels right' - there is something to be said for that fit or chemistry or whatever you call it. Especially with handguns, but I think for any potentially defensive arm - it just needs to 'seem right'. I'm betting that if you could go to an outdoor range and had all of your options laid out to handle and fire, you'd wind up with a clear winner in just a few minutes...!

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Funny how C.E. "Ed" Harris who was head of production for Ruger at one time claims that yes they did use .308 barrels when it first came out. He said that they used the barrels that were on the upper end of the limits for the .308 and that the Lapua test ammunition was .310. The forcing cone was lengthened to accept this mismatch and that the pressure rise was never more than 5,000 psi above SAAMI limits, which was well within the strength of the steel to withstand for long term. I called Ruger. My Mini-30 has a nominal .3095 bore diameter. It slugs to .310.

According th Ed Harris, the myth of .308 barrels is a fact and not a myth for production during the first 2 years. Ruger may be trying to get rid of this knowledge, but if Ed Harris said it, it is most likely factual.
D. Brian Casady
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Your statement that the .308 bore is a myth is also incorrect. We were both only partially correct.
D. Brian Casady
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

AJMD 429

from what you have said about the 300 BO its starting to make me lean that way, I have a lot of mini 14 mags, I like
all the reloading data for it, have shot a few sks & ak guns but for me the mini 14 with the synthetic stock just fits me
the best, ive killed moose & elk with bigger guns but also realize they are not bullet proof, many have been taken with 30-30
or lesser guns, a few in the heart lung area would be more than enough

Thanks for all the info to all

ollogger
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I think SKS rifles are as or maybe more expensive then AKs these days. THe days of the $69 gunshow ChiCom SKS are long gone.

Of the three I would go with the AK. It gives you a little wider experience, & there is a lot of after market stuff so you can tailor it to your particular likes. Also I think the AK is easier to maintain and repair.

But I have nothing bad to say about the Ruger rifles.

Wm
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

wm wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:13 pm I think SKS rifles are as or maybe more expensive then AKs these days. THe days of the $69 gunshow ChiCom SKS are long gone.

Of the three I would go with the AK. It gives you a little wider experience, & there is a lot of after market stuff so you can tailor it to your particular likes. Also I think the AK is easier to maintain and repair.

But I have nothing bad to say about the Ruger rifles.

Wm
The only complaint I have they are pretty pricy! :| I confess, I've been having this urge as of late for a 350L conversion on a Mini 14. I had a receiver/bolt stashed away for awhile so I recently sent it away for the conversion.

Mainehunter
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I'll throw my 2 1/2 cents in.

Three friends/co-workers have brought or sent home with me Mini 30s they wanted help getting zeroed. All were pre-580. Two had scopes, one Bushnell and one Leopold. With them came an assortment of Com Bloc FMJ and soft point, but the Leopold guy also brought Winchester soft points. Accuracy, rested shooting at 100 yards, was dismal in all of them 3 1/2 to 5 MOA, with a slight edge to the Winchester. Perhaps the 580s are more accurate. They are also known to misfire with steel-case ammo. In view of all that, I have zero interest in owning one.

I do like the Mini 14. I owned a 1976 Mini that produced regular three shot, 1 1/2 to 2 inch 100 yard groups with Federal 55 grain SP. Had another post 580 Mini that loved the Sierra 65 grain SP and H4895; three shot groups in 3/4 inch. I'd take a good Mini over an AR-15 any day, In fact the only 223/556 rifle I like better is the Sig 556 Classic.

The 7.62×39mm is a great all around cartridge and we've used it for decades here, Even with imported soft points, a fully capable deer gun to 200 yards or a shade further. My wife swatted the doe at about 220 yards with her CZ-527 using Barnaul Golden Bear SP. It went right down and only kicked itself 10 feet before expiring, The buck I took with a WASR 10, running hard broadside at maybe 60; he went down so hard he slid and never moved from where he stopped.

I've had three Romanian AK clones; a SAR-1, a WASR 10-63 and the one mentioned above. Probably had a dozen Nork SKSs, back when they were cheap, and ( currently have a sporterized Yugo. There are three primary obstacles to getting decent accuracy from any of them. The biggest one is the crown. Clean that up nicely for a major improvement in mechanical accuracy. The triggers need work and the sights are challenging, to put it mildly. Both are easily addressed. The AK shown with the buck has Tech Sights and a Power 'Red Star' adjustable trigger set for a two-stage, four pound crisp break. I've got a 200 yard range right out the back door, so it's easy to tell what works and what doesn't.

Don't buy the line that imported steel case ammo is inaccurate. The CZ-527 will keep five Tula FMJ in three inches at 200 yards. The shortened/recrowned Yugo will give the CZ a run for its money. My WASRs would routinely group 5-6 inches for five shots at that distance, shooting twice as well as the Mini 30s I mentioned earlier. But I'm not a "magazine dump" kind of guy so none of these have been run hot. I also care for barrels like I mean for them to shoot well,

These are simply my experiences, to be taken or left at your discretion.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I had an AK, several years ago, Norinco with a chrome lined barrel and a sporter style stock. It was very reliable and plenty accurate enough with the iron sights. I wished I had kept it. I have owned several SKS's, older ones with chrome lined barrels. Both types of rifles were very reliable, but I think the Ak was more accurate for me. On the SKS's, I don't like the large mag conversion, so popular these days, but much prefer the original 10 round mag and stripper clips.

The Mini-14 might be OK, but mags are more expensive and harder to find. And I have never known anyone bragging about the accuracy of them.

I currently own several AR-15's in .556/.223 and also 300 BK, and one in 7.62 x 39. My favorite is the 300 BK, although I have not given the 7.62 x 39 a good workout.
The .223's are fine, but I usually grab my 300 BK which shoots very good, although I do have another 300 BK pistol with 7" barrel that key holes the target at 50yds but would still be deadly at that range.

My favorite .223 is a Daniel Defense AR-15 and Another is a Colt Pencil barrel. Both are fine shooters. I think I prefer the AR-15 platform and I personally know how to take it apart and work on them, clean them, etc. I also prefer the old GI 20 round mags for the Ar's better then most other mags. But the AK47, if it has a chrome lined barrel, is probably the most reliable, for someone in the bush, who doesn't maintain their rifle, beyond a shot of oil every once in a while.
NRA Life Member, Patron
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Thanks to all for totally confusing me :D every one has good to say on there guns that they use & hunt with
have learned a lot so far on the guns that are greek to me, a few years ago I had a couple sks bought them & sold them
with out a ounce of curiosity in keeping them, funny how things change for a person, now I know also that certain sks model
guns use ak mags, that's a plus for me, thanks for the help & your experience!!

ollogger
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

There's a good thread regarding variations including some adapted for AK mags.

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=440.0

Like others here, I get along fine with the OEM 10 round, on-board box. But lot of them have been tacti-fooled and the OEM mag is long gone. Used OEM mag are $75 and up, making Tapco SKS mags a lot easier to stomach. The SKS bolt carrier has a lugs along its lower surface that interfere with the ejection and replacement of aftermarket mags unless the bolt is held open- a huge PITA. Fortunately there is an easy fix that allows aftermarket mag changes with the bolt closed or locked open and it does not negatively affect use of the OEM onboard 10 round box. It is summarized here:

https://youtu.be/MV1QR6bRdUc

My Yugo got the bolt mod and it works great. I understand Yugos were produced in two barrel lengths and mine was the longer version; 22" not counting the launcher, which essentially made it as long as my old Browning A5 with the hunting barrel on it. Way too long, heavy and cumbersome for behind the pickup seat. Mine had been Bubba'ed already so it was a no-brainer.

If you're a collector or dealer, you'll prefer them in the original format. I am a shooter and I view it as a Mini 30 replacement, without all the Mini 30's problems. So far I haven't been disappointed.

I had a left-over Romanian AK sight which I had modified by adding a slightly larger U notch. Snapped right onto the Yugo SKS and works great with the original front sight at a finished barrel length of 19". A light, reliable accurate and handy little 30 caliber semi-auto,

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Simple, short answer. SKS. Educate yourself on the variations. Try to find in local shops, Price might be better. I've had great service with Norinco. The Russians are way over priced. Romanian versions are really nice. Lots of info on the web detailing light primer strikes with the Mini30using mil surp and commercial import ammo. U.S. made seems to run okay.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

ollogger wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:32 pm AJMD 429

from what you have said about the 300 BO its starting to make me lean that way, I have a lot of mini 14 mags, I like
all the reloading data for it, have shot a few sks & ak guns but for me the mini 14 with the synthetic stock just fits me
the best, ive killed moose & elk with bigger guns but also realize they are not bullet proof, many have been taken with 30-30
or lesser guns, a few in the heart lung area would be more than enough

Thanks for all the info to all

ollogger
Looking for brass in that knee-high scrub :shock: :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Blaine

half ways retired so gives me more time to look for the brass :lol:

with the mini & blasting through a 20 round mag I can find most of them if I fire where I have mowed

Brad
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Olloger, want some more confusing info? :P you could get a cheap lower from Palmetto then get the 300BO, and/or the 350 Legend upper. Was thinking a 180gr RNFP .35 cal bullet at 14-1800fps would cover anything short if grizzlies and 300lb rabid pigs... todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ollogger wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:47 pm. . . with the mini & blasting through a 20 round mag I can find most of them if I fire where I have mowed. . .
We used to just lay a large tarp down behind and to the right, or wherever the brass seemed to go.

ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

AJMD429 That mini I have whips the brass in any direction but over to the left id need a 50 foot tarp to catch them all :lol:

don't mind losing a few but new 300 BL if I go that route might warrant the tarp treatment

Brad
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I'm happy with my Chinese SKS. 1.5" - 2" groups at 50 yards with the stock sights.

It digests anything, and is as reliable as a rock.

-Tom
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Interesting on the design and manufacture of the Mini-14 - https://youtu.be/RxLrz1vTloI

...and a video review right on the original topic - https://youtu.be/kAiyyZVdwEI