HOUSE GUN REVISITED

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

HOUSE GUN REVISITED

Post by Grizz »

this topic is pretty common. I didn't feel like I adequately expressed my view last time, so this a codicil of sorts. feel free to pick this apart with better proposals if you have them.

the 12 ga is the one I carry thru Canada by boat and vehicle. notice that it does not get any handier with a birdshead grip, because the trigger to muzzle length stays the same. I lined up the triggers to make this point. Besides, the birdshead is the most painful way to shoot a 12ga that I've found. It assaults all the joints in my hand and wrist.

the AR cannot go thru canada, but it is my main choice in the house because of the common home invasion scenario faced by people in the region I live in. it has more firepower, more controllability, and less danger of overpenetration than either of the other two. when I get the green laser mounted on to the gas block, it will be totally accurate without necessity of any special sighting procedures, will be as accurate from the hip as from any other hold. I might install a shorer buffer tube, although this one is perfect for a cheek weld if I'm using the sights.

the little rascal is always on me, but it will run dry as fast as the shotgun does.

I haven't found any real problems with the AR scenario, but maybe you have some I should think about... Adios Shooters
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Bird

Re: HOUSE GUN REVISITED

Post by Jay Bird »

Grizz....there's one thing I can talk about with a lifetime of constant experience to back it up (no brag, fact) and that's experienceing and shooting tens of thousands of rounds out out most every conceivable small arms made from the 1870's to now.

We are talking home defense in any scenario.

Forget the manaually operated guns...too slow and not enough capacity.

Today's AR's are a world of difference from old school Sporter 1 AR's....Today's AR's are very reliable ..our military operations prove that.

There are TWO guns with high capacity that are more (hard to believe) reliable than the best of AR's.

AK-47's and SKS's.......in my experience AR's can be a bummer with a stuck cartridge in the chamber. Most always it can be attributed to a faulty cartridge or a piece of debris in the action. To clear a stuck round you have to bang the butt stock HARD on the ground to get the faulty cartridge out.

Cannot remember getting any kind of a malfunction from an AK or an SKS except testing out gun show bought magazines and those instances can be counted on the total number of thumbs I have.-----6

Next to the bed. Russian SKS and a Colt Lightning in 32-20.....depending on what needs to be made into Swiss cheese.

Next to the bed. S & W 59, extra mag and a 900 Lumen Sure Fire light.....blind em and then shoot em.

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I agree with your choice.
Each home is different and each room where you might have to begin defense is different. Whether or not you have loved ones you need to move towards also adds complexity. Your choice of arms might well be different on each of the above. One item that I don’t think varies is the choice must be able to be used one handed. Whether you have a child in one hand or an injury, etc. The choice should also be useful on your back, side or stomach. The possibility of multiple targets is increasingly probable so being able to add multiple rounds at once is something to consider.
The ar would be an acceptable choice in many places.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I agree.
I have a Glock 21SF with a TLR-1 that sits on the nightstand.
In the closet, I have a 10.5" AR pistol with an SB3 brace, a surefire G2LED, and an Aimpoint T1 chambered in 300BO..
As stated above, the AR of today is not the AR of 25 years ago. I was an AR hater back in the day, but things change. As much as I revere the AK, it is not as user friendly or open to as good of sighting options.
As far as reliability, the average AK available to us in the US today is NOT as reliable as a well built AR. Because of the import laws of the last 25 years, most are built from parts kits of questionable quality to questionable standards. A good quality AK is hard to find and very expensive nowadays.
I also feel there is a much better bullet choice for the 300BO in terms of defense when compared to 7.62x39.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

See now I'm on the other side of the fence, Browning BPS 10 ga with buckshot( only because there isn't room for it in the safe) or my 870. There's been enough movies that portray the sound of a shufflegun that everybody KNOWS bad juju is about to happen!
To opt for single handed use then it's by all means my Benelli M1 Super 90 stoked with either #2 steel shot or 4 buck. Steel probably wont go through 2 layers of sheetrock.
I used to have a recurring dream, guy got into the house , took a load of buckshot and with his dying breath he says ' all I wanted was a glass of water'
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks Guys, good responses. I'll hunt up an SKS too. I have a 300BO pistol as well, but I like the 556 for my current situation. It's the one on top.

thanks again.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

One thing about firing a weapon in the house, especially short ones is their loud. My 10.5 AR pistol wears a suppressor that makes it still about three inches shorter than a 16" AR.

I'm a really big fan of silencers.

Cat
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GunnyMack wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:33 pm See now I'm on the other side of the fence, Browning BPS 10 ga with buckshot( only because there isn't room for it in the safe) or my 870.
:lol:
At one time THIS was the one that stayed out to play, because it was too darned FAT to fit in the gun safe.... :D

The Striker is as heavy as a Garand, so not much recoil, and holds twelve rounds; the gaping 12-gauge hole in the muzzle would probably make most intruders slip on their own feces in their rush to leave the area... :lol: I actually had a pair of them (one folder, one straight) and regret that my wife and I didn't put our hibilly-teeth in and get a photo brandishing them together.... :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I know you guys who talk of scaring intruders with sounds or large barrels are just joking but keep in mind there may be people who take you seriously. The last thing one should do is give felonious intruders posing an immediate threat of grave bodily harm or death any opportunity to shoot you or move to cover so they can kill you. In that situation surely the surprise of a well placed round could be an ally.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

to Tycer's point, I can and do flank my front door, so if unknown persons show up at it, meaning they have failed the iff, I have them on their flank with a safe free fire zone behind them. Just in Case . . . the Unthinkable . . .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My house guns have always been handguns, and reliable handguns. If I decide to use a gun as a home defense gun it has to have a long history of shooting with no feed or cycling issues. Once I've had it long enough to be comfortable it gets elevated to home defense, or carry gun.
But I don't rely on just one gun for home defense. It's too easy to be surprised when you're not near that one gun, and I don't carry a gun inside the house unless I just got in the door. I keep numerous handguns in hidden storage so that almost anywhere I might need I have one within seconds.
Last thing I want to do is be surprised, and then get past some bad guy to try to get to that one gun I need.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Tycer wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 am I know you guys who talk of scaring intruders with sounds or large barrels are just joking but keep in mind there may be people who take you seriously. The last thing one should do is give felonious intruders posing an immediate threat of grave bodily harm or death any opportunity to shoot you or move to cover so they can kill you. In that situation surely the surprise of a well placed round could be an ally.
I think most intruders are more surprised when they're suddenly shot.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have several 850 lumen or more flashlights around the house. A .357 revolver or a 9mm semiauto and a flashlight that is painful to look directly into are readily available when I am home. The light cannon should give me the time to decide if I need to stop a threat or if the situation can be handled with lesser methods. Some of the flashlights are over 2,000 lumens. I can close my eyes and turn those lights on and see some large or dark objects in the dark using those lights. Not well of course, but they are so bright that even through your closed eyes a lot of light is seen. I am willing to defend myself and my family without hesitation, BUT I would like to make sure that I am not about to put bullets into someone who I shouldn't do it to.

Tractor Supply and other farm supply stores often carry flashlights that are 1,000 lumens or more for $30 or less. Even shining these on the wall 10 feet away to check function can make you see after image spots for a few minutes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Catshooter touched on the matter of noise if you actually need to shoot in the house.. One thing you might want to seriously consider is a pair of Electronic ear muffs stored with any home defense weapon/flashlight combo. Much cheaper than a suppressor and gives the added benefit of amplifying sound.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I mentioned that on another thread. I do keep electronic muffs around. A good idea is to get a battery tester and replace the batteries when they fall below about 1.1 volts, more or less, due to the lowered effectiveness at that point. I used Kirkland batteries from Costco for a while. They were more trouble than the initial lower cost was worth. Kirkland batteries would fail unexpextedly, or leak and corrode whatever I had them in. I tried them for about a year due to the appearance of a great value. When I had to replace a few items because of battery leakage and subsequent corrosion, I was able to convince PillHer that I could buy Energizer or RayOvac or Duracell and save money in the long run. Those 3 brands have not failed me. Since switching to the better quality batteries, my battery operated electronics have worked better and none have suffered catastrophic damage caused by battery leakage.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:46 pmI think most intruders are more surprised when they're suddenly shot.
That's the way I'd surprise them, myself...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Stay away from Duracell in the black packaging- just bought a pack, opened it and half were corroded!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

For years when kids where home I kept, a Second Chance fag bag with the pull out ballistic apron hanging on the bed post, had an old mag light and a set of ears attached to it, pistol was an old S&W 44 triple lock loaded with what where though to be great man stoppers " hard cast wadcutters, full flat "

now a days its just the "not a shotgun" with brace in 20ga first round out will be heavy duck load, every thong else is buck
the ole girl has her Mossberg 420 HD in 410, and its loaded with the Winchester defense load, she loves the darn thing
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:20 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:46 pmI think most intruders are more surprised when they're suddenly shot.
Doc, you live outside of the city. Most likely, anyone in your house at night would be there for nefarious purposes. Shooting them without giving them a chance to attack would seem logical under your circumstances.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I am willing to defend myself and my family without hesitation, BUT I would like to make sure that I am not about to put bullets into someone who I shouldn't do it to.
This is why family and friends are instructed to call before getting to my front door, which is the fence door on the street. That way they are not subject to seeing me running outside with light and gun in hand, scantilly clad, to see what all the commotion is about..... something that cannot be unseen... :lol:

The people allowed in without challenge are the same people whose phone numbers are in my phone, and whose call I will answer. Calls from numbers I don't know are blocked.

It's not that I am creepy mean, it is that the society I live in is creepy mean, and I have enacted policies and procedures to protect the ones I love. IFF

There is another procedure for any unknown knocking on the gate
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

As for the batteries, I like the lithiums. They have a very long shelf life and I haven't had any leak or corrode yet.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

piller wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:18 am
AJMD429 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:20 pm
Doc, you live outside of the city. Most likely, anyone in your house at night would be there for nefarious purposes. Shooting them without giving them a chance to attack would seem logical under your circumstances.
I can’t see how it matters where one lives. If someone is in your home and you have a reasonable fear of immediate grave bodily harm or death from them and you know your target and what’s beyond you’re not going to be harming the innocent. Blindly shooting an unknown shadow, IMO, is dangerous, immoral and has a great probability of landing you in prison.
The surprise is still preferable IMO.
Kind regards,
Tycer
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Tycer wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 amI can’t see how it matters where one lives. If someone is in your home and you have a reasonable fear of immediate grave bodily harm or death from them and you know your target and what’s beyond you’re not going to be harming the innocent. Blindly shooting an unknown shadow, IMO, is dangerous, immoral and has a great probability of landing you in prison.
The surprise is still preferable IMO.
I couldn't agree more. I know anyone who comes into my house at wee hours is not friend or family. Even my kids knock when they get to the door. I'm not going to give any intruder a warning, and a chance for them to fire first. I doubt if they see me they're going to give me a warning.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I hope some of you have time to slip on your ear protection...
Standard pressure .45acp 230s are pretty quiet compared to some of those rounds you guys are talking about, and very effective.
Some will argue that one's hearing is secondary to safety, but IMO, you can have both. Any braggart can shoot 10s of thousands of rounds of everything, but it's going to be just that one shot and the mindset behind it that saves your life. Paper and steel don't tremble or shoot back. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My son lives at home and works nights. Sometimes he gets called in for O.T. and I don't know it until I hear him come home at 2 or 3 AM. I don't always hear his car in the drive.
D. Brian Casady