Old Dominion ML opener today !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Old Dominion ML opener today !

Post by 6pt-sika »

I was able to get out this morning before light for the ML opener in Virginia . Had the relatively new Remington 700 Ultimate ML with me shooting the Hornady rubber tipped 250 grain .452” bullet in a Harvester sabot pushed by 64.5 grains of H4198 . Along about 08:30 I saw a yearling doe headed towards me , so when she stopped she was 17 yards away and I let fly needless to say she was DRT ! I then noticed another one about forty yards away so as I reloaded I watched her and then let fly again . This time it was more of a boom tip tip tip flop . Both were cut up and in the freezer by 11 AM .
346478FD-DF3D-422B-AEBC-6476F8DF0E60.jpeg
8A4884EA-9DD5-463F-A9A7-1653EF6CBE77.jpeg
104EA438-D6C5-4CD8-BC0D-C474B934DDA1.jpeg
. Believe it or not I shot this target Monday with the same load I used today , that target was at 100 yards with three shots passing thru that hole .
A3A63A38-CAD8-4EF2-B712-74EE83D29C07.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Old Dominion ML opener today !

Post by GunnyMack »

That sure help fill the freezer! I've shot a couple doubles, normally at the farthest point from my truck and no quad in sight!
That Remington shoots very well!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I actually believe it does a bit better then the Savage Model 10-MLII I used to have .
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Nice shooting! What kind of velocity you get with that load 6pt?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

octagon wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:15 pm Nice shooting! What kind of velocity you get with that load 6pt?
64.5 grains of H4198 and the Hornady 250 in a Harvester sabot was right at 2150 FPS . The Savage 10ML-II I used to have would do about the same with 42 grains of VV N-110 and the black Hornady sabot with the same bullet .
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Way to go, I have to wait another year or so, before hitting the woods again, heart issues, but have am discussing a 58cal buffalo for use :)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Dave James wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:21 pm Way to go, I have to wait another year or so, before hitting the woods again, heart issues, but have am discussing a 58cal buffalo for use :)
My Parkinson’s/dementia bound father is making it difficult for me to get out this year ! So far twice with the x bow and once with the ML . I plan to go tommorrow if my helper shows up .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I screwed up today ! Shot a mature doe and like to never got her up in the front rack . I don’t like to gut them in the woods adds to the problem . Plunked her at 07:35 at a lasered distance of 38 yards from one of my TreeLounge climbers at a height of about 27 feet . First pic is of the deer on the ground taken from my stand .
34128AF9-98C2-4591-BD09-F1E7CAAB7D08.jpeg
4D3E3EA4-884D-4A53-96FF-5B81C76B9EF8.jpeg
7E8A7633-FBB6-43F1-867E-7E318A940C94.jpeg
4E9F0C71-4421-491A-9949-49A78B1059BE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

So now I’m in Ruckersville at the Kyoto resteraunt for celebratory sashimi , chicken habachi and Tsingtao 8)
6149ED2E-102A-44CD-8CE9-E9E368ED961C.jpeg
0EAD21D5-4FD3-4E24-8934-EDF37D9B1660.jpeg
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

6pt I have found that a 2 foot rope used to tie a deers 4 knees together tightly takes most the flop out of them. Then I can grab the tail and scruff of the neck or antler and toss them in the truck by myself. That little rope is handy, youd be surprised how well it works.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

With the state flipping to total Dem control, I won't be surprised if ML season gets banned for some sorry-rump lame excuse...
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

octagon wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:40 pm 6pt I have found that a 2 foot rope used to tie a deers 4 knees together tightly takes most the flop out of them. Then I can grab the tail and scruff of the neck or antler and toss them in the truck by myself. That little rope is handy, youd be surprised how well it works.
Thanks !

I think the biggest reason I have difficulty now is two fold ! One being increased age and the second being loss of strength in my hands .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Well done friend.
Bon appetit 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

6pt you are welcome. My own increasing age led to the use of the short rope. :D I think another rope to cinch the head tightly towards the knees would work even better, there is a lot of flop in the neck/head.
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Well done 6pt!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I suspect Saturday morning I’ll sit the TreeLounge stand off the power line . Hopefully some rutters will cruise by ! Haven’t seen. Racked buck on my property yet this season :o
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

octagon wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:05 am 6pt you are welcome. My own increasing age led to the use of the short rope. :D I think another rope to cinch the head tightly towards the knees would work even better, there is a lot of flop in the neck/head.
The strength in my hands is down quite a bit to say the least . My inner elbows are also sore/painful seems the layman’s term for that is golf elbow vs tennis elbow for the outter elbow . I think years of factory work have finally taken their toll :roll:
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

6pt I hear ya! I once winched a big muley up a tree and tied his rack to the tree, backed the jeep under him and cut the horn rope, Presto! If you had a small winch on the back of the 4 wheeler, you could pull the front basket under a stout limb, throw the winch line up and over the limb, to the deer in front of the wheeler, and winch him into the basket, Im sure that'd do it. Us old guys have to adapt, and well I know it 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

octagon wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:00 pm 6pt I hear ya! I once winched a big muley up a tree and tied his rack to the tree, backed the jeep under him and cut the horn rope, Presto! If you had a small winch on the back of the 4 wheeler, you could pull the front basket under a stout limb, throw the winch line up and over the limb, to the deer in front of the wheeler, and winch him into the basket, Im sure that'd do it. Us old guys have to adapt, and well I know it 8)
I could do that I suppose I’ve got a winch on the front of the Kawasaki . I’ve come out of the woods a few times with two deer on the front rack another on the rear rack and dragging two more . But that’s either damage control time or some other folks are with me .
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Always wanted one of the TreeLounge set ups, but they where built for little people for years, just my luck last time I spoke with them they were gearing up for us ole boys over 300lbs, then they went out of business

Used to carry 200 feet of rope split in 100 ft sections and had a small capstand winch anchor it to a tree and pull it out was the only way I retrieved some of the deer from the swamp down here in Tidewater
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Dave James wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:13 pm Always wanted one of the TreeLounge set ups, but they where built for little people for years, just my luck last time I spoke with them they were gearing up for us ole boys over 300lbs, then they went out of business

Used to carry 200 feet of rope split in 100 ft sections and had a small capstand winch anchor it to a tree and pull it out was the only way I retrieved some of the deer from the swamp down here in Tidewater
My first stand was a TreeLounge the original square material type . I was up to 250 at one point but now I fluctuate between 185-190 . The stand in the picture is one of four TreeLounge I have . Got that one-off Ebay used, the other three I got from friends as they no longer wanted them . I take them out hang them in an stea and they stay put usually until end of season . Plus I have a pair of Trophy Whitetail climbing stands I like even more than the TreeLounge .