M1A.....love it or hate it.....!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

M1A.....love it or hate it.....!

Post by AJMD429 »

Pew-pew doesn't seem to like them, versus the AR-10.

Best viewer comment..."...look it's a sexy gun no matter how it shoots; some chicks are just sexy, even if they can't cook...."... :lol:

I like the M1A over the AR-10, but the AR-15 over the Mini-14....I guess because the smaller frame version isn't as messed up by the bulkier pistol grip and magazine well. AR-10's just seem too big and ungainly, versus the M1A is big, but carries more like a rifle should (to me).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: M1A.....love it or hate it.....!

Post by OldWin »

I just watched that today. Weird.
Don't know if the new ones are like that, but both of mine shoot better than that.
My full size is a standard from about 1994 (full of usgi parts). I've got better groups than that at 200yds.
I also have an early Scout Squad from 2001 that is a great shooter. I love the M14/M1A. I don't think it gets a fair shake.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

OldWin wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:25 pmI just watched that today. Weird.
Don't know if the new ones are like that, but both of mine shoot better than that.
My full size is a standard from about 1994 (full of usgi parts). I've got better groups than that at 200yds.
I also have an early Scout Squad from 2001 that is a great shooter. I love the M14/M1A. I don't think it gets a fair shake.
That's funny - I think my Scout Squad is from around 1994, and my Full Size 'Loaded' one is from 2001....but likewise, both shoot plenty well enough for me. If my life depended on 'one shot' from a 308, I'd have my Savage heavy-barrel bolt action in its Choate stock, but if I had to face human aggressors I'd not hesitate to grab either of the M1A's.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Never had a problem with the accuracy from my M1As. The heavy barreled National Match I had before these two never had any issues hitting the 600 yd. targets at Camp Perry.

I like my ARs but for me the AR-10s don't fit as well. Plus growing up shooting M1s and M1 Carbines may have been a bit of an influence.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Never shot an M1, but I have a Mini 30. OK, the Mini 30 is a lot less accurate than the M1 but it still feels like a rifle. From a cold barrel and open sights, my Mini 30 can group within 3 inches at 100 yards. The best groups come with handloads of 123-125 grain bullets at .308 diameter. The .311 diameter work fine in my Mini 30, but they are not quite as accurate. I cannot tell the difference between 123 and 125 grain bullets in it. With JSP bullets I do not feel undergunned for deer or medium sized wild pigs. Maybe a Har-Bar or some such device would improve the accuracy. Maybe it would not be worth the cost.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Qualified expert in the Army with both the M16 and M14 but never cared for either one or derivatives for my own use.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My go to for a semi auto rifle is a Scout Squad. Socom's have too short a barrel, and even though I liked it the M-14 always felt "long" to me.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I trained with the M1, got switched over to the M14 and then to the M1 carbine, (actually I was issued an M2) but as a civilian I discovered the FAL. I still have an M1 Garand and a couple of ARs but when the feces hits the wind machine I'll grab my old Rhodie FAL. I should spend the money and put real wood on it. They really look grand with good wood.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

An M1A is on my must have list and based on what I've been reading, James River Armory makes a really good one (its receiver being a forged one rather than a cast one). Who's had experiences with these?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I don’t use AR’s as most folks do mine are set up for deer and paper from the bench . And OF COURSE they need to be scoped . So my gunsmith buddy has one of the loaded M1A’s that’s also set up with a scope . I’ve shot his plenty and the thing is pretty decent with factory . BUT he has the check rest elevator kinda thing so his head is on the stock when he pulls the trigger and it works okay and again BUT when you put your face on that wide thing it’s almost like your face is flat on a shelf . So as you might surmise by now the M1A has not endeared itself to me with what you need to do to it to suit me .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

kaschi wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:24 pm An M1A is on my must have list and based on what I've been reading, James River Armory makes a really good one (its receiver being a forged one rather than a cast one). Who's had experiences with these?
No, but a competitive shooter I met years ago used one from these guys and loved it:

https://www.fulton-armory.com/M14-M1A.aspx

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Great looking gun, reliable and semi accurate......It's a battle rifle, period. that's why they aren't in the news anymore. Any good AR will outshoot them every time. Your just not gonna find an M1-A that shoots MOA consistently.....maybe 1 and 1/2 to 2 moa..and that's the Super Match with the 1-10 twist. National Matches are 2-3 moa. Yes....exceptions to every rule but I shot enough of them along with my buds and that's what they do.

An AR will win everytime as a competitive rifle.--6
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As to whether an AR is more accurate than the M1A it likely depends on the individual firearm. But AR’s have reliability issues. For paper punching they’re fine. For anything more serious I want a larger caliber in a more reliable platform.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Any firearm can have reliability issues if the owner doesn't clean it properly, or if something is worn out. Using the wrong ammunition is a potential issue. Gas operated firearms usually do not do well with low power loads. As far as reliability of the AR platform, it is extremely reliable in the Military setup. The AR 15 with the 5.56 caliber is reliable. Changing things may cause issues. If you want to branch out from the mainstream, just be willing to work with your firearm in case it needs adjustments. One good thing about the AR is that it has a lot of available parts so that you can make things work. The adjustable gas blocks can cure a lot of ills in an AR.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

M-1A & Mini-14 & 1911 = classics
AR-10 & AR-15 & Glock = tools

I have one of each, and they all have pros and cons. My pick of 'rifle, carbine, and pistol' would be:

M-1A & AR-15 & 1911

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I have only shot an M1A one time. A buddies Loaded with a Springfield badged I believe 4-16 scope shooting Gold Medal Match. I had no problems hitting steel torsos out to 800 yards from a bench from a bag rest. His could be an exception but is my only hands on experience shooting one.