An old man thoughts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

An old man thoughts

Post by JDL »

Maybe the summer is gone at last! Feels so good I went to the range to see if my 24 inch 336-A needed any adjustment and it did not. I don't know why but, Marlin 336's and Winchester 94's just seem to scream out "deer hunter." Perhaps because I remember going into my favorite pawn shops about this time of year back in the late '60's and the racks would be full of Marlins and a few Winchesters with most priced $69.95. Those were the days! I can still remember the smell of those gun shops with the hardwood floors that you threw floor sweep on to clean, gun oil, and of course Hoppe's #9 all mingled together. Despite all my memories, I was the only one at the range shooting a levergun which made me feel kinda special. :D
Hope everyone has a great deer season.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: An old man thoughts

Post by Nath »

:D 8)
N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep, showing up on the firing line with a levergun these days is like years ago when I used to take my muzzleloaders out. Hang in there old man.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

There was a neat old shop in western Ohio that my grandfather would take me to when we were out for a visit when I was a kid. They'd pull out a couple of old wooden chairs and sit and BS for a couple of hours. I'd wander around looking at all the stuff. I can still smell the owner's pipe smoke. If we could have just packaged those days to visit once and awhile.

Jason 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Most British shooters haven't learnt that lever action rifles are more than capable of downing anything they will see over here but it's always a pleasure to meet a levergunner or see the odd one or two in the rack at a gun shop.Thanks to cowboy action shooters the lever action has gained a certain amount of followers amongst the uneducated :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm lucky. I still get to hang out in the old shop I frequented as a kid. Almost every night after supper, I'd run out and pester the old gent with questions.
He took the time to teach me a lot about shooting, old guns, reloading, and casting. I work on his Jeep and four wheelers. Can use the shop whenever I like. We are like family. Same old crowd goes out and just hangs out to shoot the bull.
Places like that are disappearing.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

OldWin wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:59 pm I'm lucky. I still get to hang out in the old shop I frequented as a kid. Almost every night after supper, I'd run out and pester the old gent with questions.
He took the time to teach me a lot about shooting, old guns, reloading, and casting. I work on his Jeep and four wheelers. Can use the shop whenever I like. We are like family. Same old crowd goes out and just hangs out to shoot the bull.
Places like that are disappearing.
Holy smokers, is that ever a gun shop from yesteryear ! "Really cool" just doesn't quite define it. There are very few old gun shops like that around here anymore. If you were a bit closer, it would make a fine road trip.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Agree on that shop. Wow, I miss a place like that.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Like the old 'country stores' - had a bit of everything, and an ambiance that was great.

I remember one as a kid that sold canned goods, fresh produce, livestock feed, live fishing bait, ammunition, hardware, and even DYNAMITE....I was young enough to go there for the penny-candy though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh, a couple more tidbits about the old shop I mentioned above.
The only heat is the stove in the picture.

There is no plumbing. If you have to take a leak, you go out behind the shed. If more than that, you better hope you can make it home.

There are no computers on the premises.

There is a cash register, but just to store cash. All transactions are done on a slip with a calculator.

If you are known, and want something you can't pay for, you put down any deposit and it's held. What you paid and what you owe is written on a 3x5 card and put in a small green metal box. You come in and pay as you can till you are done. Doesn't matter too much how long. I've seen more than one run over a year.

There was an 1897 Winchester trench gun with no stock that hung on a nail by the repair rack. I first saw it in the mid 80s. My buddy said a guy left it for a repair and left no name or contact. It hung there for 25 years with countless offers to buy or trade. My buddy said it belonged to a "customer", and he may be in for it.
Sure enough, after 25 years, the guy walks through the door and asks for the 97 with a real smug look. My buddy handed it to him with the slip for the repair. It was 20 dollars. Should have charged him 2k for storage.
Most honest man I've ever met.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is the sort of man who built this Country. The crooks have almost got rid of all of them. :cry:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost