Bought a box of 348wcf ammo today...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Bought a box of 348wcf ammo today...

Post by Bridger »

Was in an LGS today and found a 20 rd box of factory Winchester .348 ammo 200 gr Silvertips for $32.99. When I got to the checkout the cashier let me have them for $30 even. Did I do okay? 😁😆

Side note, I don’t have a .348, but so far I have acquired a couple boxes of cheap ammo for one, so one day intend to buy a model 71.....
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Bought a box of 348wcf ammo today...

Post by Ray »

The rare dusty box new old stock winchester runs $40 + tax

Buffalo Bore Heavy runs $99.40 + a rather exorbitant method of calculating shipping.....

So yeah, you did good and keep looking !
m.A.g.a. !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

B.T.W. an ammoseek.com search netted quite a bit of new hornady at $2 a shot.
m.A.g.a. !
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

I'd say you did fine! My favorite shop has it in the shelf for more than twice that a box.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

On first glance you did good; but when you add in the price of that Model 71 it might not seem like quite the same deal. You should send them to me and you pay the shipping. See I am saving you a couple grand. You are welcome.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

For todays prices you practically stole that box of ammo!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

$700 gun + $30 box of ammo.... $730 total, right...?

Only the TOTAL really matters for family budgeting, right...?

Tell wife "I bought this old box of ammo a ways back, and realized I didn't have a gun to shoot it in. I didn't want to have wasted the money on a box of ammo I couldn't use, but I got this old gun today for only $30, so I could have a real cheap gun, and use up that ammo..."

....just don't tell her the 'cost' of the ammo was $700... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:30 pm $700 gun + $30 box of ammo.... $730 total, right...?

Only the TOTAL really matters for family budgeting, right...?

Tell wife "I bought this old box of ammo a ways back, and realized I didn't have a gun to shoot it in. I didn't want to have wasted the money on a box of ammo I couldn't use, but I got this old gun today for only $30, so I could have a real cheap gun, and use up that ammo..."

....just don't tell her the 'cost' of the ammo was $700... :mrgreen:
I doubt seriously if you can find a nice decent Pre 64 Model 71 for any $700 ! You best triple that and you “might” be in the ball park .
I’m not even sure you can find a decent used Browning Grade 1 Model 71 for $700 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

With new pedesolis starting at $1300 and running up to $1700 it makes this one at cherry's fine guns look like a bargain at $1595 + $50 shipping.....

68978 Winchester Model 71, 348 Caliber Lever Action With 24" Barrel, Iron Sights, 2/3 Magazine Tube, Walnut Stock With Checkered Steel Buttplate, 98% Receiver & Barrel, 95% Lever, Buttstock Has Been Polished And Is Darker Than Forend, Mfg. Circa 1956, C&R

http://www.cherrys.com/stokpics/68978.jpg
m.A.g.a. !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was at the Oaks Pa gun show last weekend and there were 8-10 model 71’s. The beaters in that bunch were just shy of two grand and a very nice deluxe was $3500.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ouch! I'd be broke.....$30 is a fair price if your using it for display or collecting ....or "if you just want a box". For shooting, the only alternative is reloading and casting. For under $200 you can get a mould, some brass, and dies.....

I usually shoot up 60-70 rounds at a high power match...price? about $8 for 60 rounds.---6
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I wonder how long that box had been setting in that gun shop? I still have about 100 rds of the old factory 250 silver tips loads that I gleaned from gun shows in the 70s and 80s in the Rocky mountain west, mostly CO but also MT, UT and WY . I've only fired a couple of rounds through a pressure barrel (back when I had one). I guess I need to put them on the market one of these days as we all too often keep things long past the years we would ever get use out of them.