Shooting the Trapper today ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Shooting the Trapper today ...

Post by JimT »

Trying some handloads using the 170 gr. Speer Hot-Cor bullet and various powders ... 4831 ... 3031 ... LeverEvolution .. H322 .. Winchester748

Fired this 3 shot group at 130 yards .. used a rolled up piece of carpet for a rest.
IMG_0175.JPG
I am producing the best groups with some of the older powders like 3031 and 748 ....
IMG_0184.JPG
Of course, that could be the fault of the nut holding the stock ......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Shooting the Trapper today ...

Post by Nath »

I likey.
That's good shooting and they are a good old long slug.
Drillers I called them.

8)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Drillers they are ... I am experimenting with some 180 gr. roundnose bullets Paco gave me when I was at his place earlier this year. They are like a freight train .. hard to stop! :D

Shown here with 170 gr. Silvertip and the 170 gr. Speer. Note the overall length is pretty close.
IMG_0108.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jim....I'd say that's shootin' even with a young set of eyes. Well done!

there ain't nothing I know that you have never known so I can't enlighten you but......there's just something about old powders and old cartridges, nothing seems to outdo them. 3031 for the 30-30 class is tops.

As you also know, those canneluring tools work wonders on jacket bullets that were not meant for a specific cartridge...I have one of those Corbin's I use quite frequently.---6
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I might be all wet but those 180’s sure have a Hornady look to them.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The Lee factory crimp die will fang hold of them 180's in the right place.
They look slightly Sierra made to me :?:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I use the Lee die ... collett crimp .. and don't have any problems.
Someone else said they looked like Speer ... so now I have at least 3 options. :P
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

3031 is one of my must have powders. I load darn near everything with that …… 30 WCF, 30-40 Krag, 300 Sav, 30-06, etc. It just works well in every thing. It may not be the best by whatever ruler you use to measure but it seems to always do pretty darn well in comparison.

Like Win 231, I just can't sleep at night unless I have a full can in stock, just in case.

Wm
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:19 pmAs you also know, those canneluring tools work wonders on jacket bullets that were not meant for a specific cartridge...
The other thing that works really good is a Lee Factory Crimp ('rifle' type not 'pistol' type, although they will make you a 'rifle' type one for pistol cartridges) die. I've camped off-of-the-cannelure on several bullets to get an OAL I wanted, and they stay put well without issues.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:47 pm
Sixgun Sr wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:19 pmAs you also know, those canneluring tools work wonders on jacket bullets that were not meant for a specific cartridge...
The other thing that works really good is a Lee Factory Crimp ('rifle' type not 'pistol' type, although they will make you a 'rifle' type one for pistol cartridges) die. I've camped off-of-the-cannelure on several bullets to get an OAL I wanted, and they stay put well without issues.
Doc...those Lee FCD are one of the best inventions to hit the reloading scene in decades. Those babies work on anything. Many times I'll forgo the crimp groove on cast bullets to "make my own" in order to get the bullet near the rifling for accuracy. I must have 20-30 of em.

When dealing with a cartridge that has real power and you really want to keep the bullet in place, use the cannelure tool with the factory crimp die. :D ---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's some impressive shooting at that distance with a Trapper. Nice job.
I used 3031 for years and years in 30wcf. I've recently switched to 34gr of 748. I've been pleased so far, but feel I need to give it more time.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.