Old Skeeter Skelton article ........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Old Skeeter Skelton article ........

Post by wm »

You know a guys wisdom is legit when you read his article 40+ years after it was published and you find it just as well informed now as it was then.

http://www.huntertradertrapper.com/what ... r-skelton/

And with that I am off to scout my fall hunting grounds …… with a High Stnadard 22 short and a Rossi 31 loaded with 148 grain HBWC loaded backwards.

Wm
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Old Skeeter Skelton article ........

Post by Merle »

wm wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:36 am You know a guys wisdom is legit when you read his article 40+ years after it was published and you find it just as well informed now as it was then.

http://www.huntertradertrapper.com/what ... r-skelton/

And with that I am off to scout my fall hunting grounds …… with a High Stnadard 22 short and a Rossi 31 loaded with 148 grain HBWC loaded backwards.

Wm
very nice - thanks! :D
Merle from PA
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds as if you are ready for marauding squirrels and rotten toothed meth heads. I hope you don't have to deal with any humanlike scum.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm betting THIS was a typo....

"My idea of a trail gun is a handgun that, with 50 pounds of ammunition, will make a package small and light enough that you are unaware of its presence until you need it."

I'm betting the original said "rounds".... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I bought both of Skeeter's books after his death... they're a good read--I like this article too--thank you for sharing... :)
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Not much has changed in the world of revolver shooting over the past 100+ years......except there's too much money today and guys think nothing of blasting those fancy jacketed bullets down range. In my time, we would buy one box of jacketed rounds ....IF they were available .......and make it last a year by shooting a few at the end of a session to clean the up leading.

Skeeter and Elmer were my heroes.......they caused me to spend any free money on nice 44 Specials in classic Colts & 'Smiths...glad I did. :D ---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Exactly what I did with the Mod. 24.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

piller wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:33 pm Sounds as if you are ready for marauding squirrels and rotten toothed meth heads. I hope you don't have to deal with any humanlike scum.
Originally the load out was going to be 22 rifle and 22 short pistol but the Rossi 31 is a recent addition to the accumulation and I'm trying to figure out what niche it fills. I don't think it was intended for a diet of +P ammo and so I'm trying to find the combination of standard velocity 38 spl or 38 S&W long equivalent loads to make it a useable self defense option. I took it out with a box of HBWC handloads just to plink with at the old mine property near the hunting land. It did okay. softball sized group at 50 feet.

Wm

P.S. Rossi 31 is one of Rossis more obscure offerings …… 5 shot, 4" barrel, small frame, 38 special. Offered by Interarms, 1960(?) to 1985. This particular example seems to be a late 1960s based on what I know of the previous owner.

Honestly I bought the tools and ammo and got the revolver as a bonus.