50 Beowulf vs 458 SOCOM....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

50 Beowulf vs 458 SOCOM....

Post by AJMD429 »

After years of "308 vs 30-06" and "44 Mag vs 45 Colt" and "45-70 vs 444 Marlin", or even "9mm vs 45 ACP", this is great...

https://youtu.be/nIQ7LodSFiI

This guy makes it FUN.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Re: 50 Beowulf vs 458 SOCOM....

Post by piller »

I recently got a .458 SoCom upper. I put it on a lower that I put together. I got that caliber due to the availability of .458 diameter bullets. It may not be quite as powerful as the .50 Beowulf or the .450 Bushmaster, but it is close enough for wild pigs to never notice the difference. It is also cheaper to reload as the bullets are much more readily available. Bullets for the .45-70 work well in it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

problem is, now I want both of them :!:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

So far, the 0.500" plated bullets really do the job in the Beowulf.... :mrgreen:

No regrets.

The ballistics are almost identical to the 500 Smith & Wesson, which I think is kind of crazy in a handgun, but makes an awesome lever gun or semi-auto carbine cartridge....
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve messed with all three loading and shooting as well as killing stuff with two . And for practical purposes the 50 , 450 and 458 are all pretty much the same thing . Recently a friend bought an upper for the 375-458 Socom or whatever they call it . I kinda wanna mess with that one a bit .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW , as I said I’ve already messed with the Beowulf , Bushmaster and Socom . Of the three I owned a Bushmaster for awhile but now it’s gone and I’m in the process of building an AR-10 upper for the 338 Federal . For my needs and desires the Federal is leaps and bounds above the other three ESPECIALLY past 150 or so yards . I had a 338 Federal a few years back in a Encore Pro Hunter that did very nicely I’m just not a big fan of the Encore platform . Now I have two Savage bolt guns in 338 Federal and in the process of this AR-10 . The AR-10 already has a suppressor at the shop waiting for my paperwork to finish and most likely by that time I’ll have thermal optics to go on top . Or the thermal and suppressor may go on the Savage Hog Hunter in 338 Federal . I realize this isn’t what was originally asked , just telling my personal findings thru the other three and why I arrived at the 338 Federal as my BIG AR round .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

.375 bullets are not too hard to find. Just because of the pressure limitations, I wouldn't expect .375 H&H or .375 Ruger velocities. I would like to know what velocities and how accurate it really is.
D. Brian Casady
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:13 pm .375 bullets are not too hard to find. Just because of the pressure limitations, I wouldn't expect .375 H&H or .375 Ruger velocities. I would like to know what velocities and how accurate it really is.
I suspect the 375-458 Socom thing doesn’t exceed the 375 WIN factory loads by much if any . It’s a kinda short fat looking thing along the lines of the WSSM and PPC style cartridges . The fellow I know that just got the 375-458 Socom also has a 300 Ham-ar he wants to sell .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For 200 yards or less, that should work like a charm. Nice big hole at relatively modest velocity is usually all that is needed.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just like with bolt actions, lever actions, or whatever, the 'AR platform' lends itself to a series of 'small, medium, and large' caliber options. That's what makes it so fun. :mrgreen:

". . . and most likely by that time I’ll have thermal optics to go on top. . . "

THAT is my next frontier to conquer.... I think the ideal grab-and-go firearm for ranch or Homestead work would have the option of thermal imaging in case it is dark outside.