Post a picture of your horse ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Post a picture of your horse ...

Post by JimT »

I don't have any now, but when I did this was one of my favorite ... photo is from the early 1980's ... the Quarter Horse is "Shay's Gal" ... a Three Bars mare .. about 30 months old in this photo. She turned out to be a really great mountain horse. We hunted together for many years. She was a good friend.
fatboy
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Post a picture of your horse ...

Post by fatboy »

Don't have to feed mine nor shovel up after her!
Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EdinGa
Levergunner

Post by EdinGa »

20160123_155402_resize_95.jpg
One of our two goofballs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jim...you.look like a "man on a mission" in that pic.

This is Stonewall, a warmblood, taken when he was 36...four years ago. He is the last one we have left out of maybe 10 or 12 we've had over the years ...and he's the last one we're gonna have...eat, poop, and cost ya money.....Winchesters and Colts don't eat so they can stay.---6

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

its a mustang anyway :wink:
1 gt 5.0.jpg
took care of the neighbors horse and rode them!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My old nag...….. ;)

mack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mack »

The girls
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Little Joe has long since passed.

You know I don't think I ever got a picture of him..... but he visits me regularly in my dreams. Loved the summers of being a cowboy …… not playing it like my friends did, but actually doing it.

Wm
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I understand Wm.... wish I had more pictures of the horses we had.

Years ago I wrote some stories about me and the horses .... they are on the Leverguns site ... for anyone who has not read them and is interested:

http://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/Appaloosa.htm

http://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/saddleguns.htm

http://leverguns.com/articles/taylor/ride.htm
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Despite the resemblance, this is not me; but I do applaud guy's choice of animals.

This is me on a rented mule named Supai at the north rim, Grand Canyon. Mules have a sense of humor, as evidenced by his occasional attempt to crowd my left boot into a Juniper pine. He also lived up to his reputation for sure-footedness with some fancy footwork around deadfall on a steep trail.

And this is Sgt. Pete, a gentle and big hearted mule if there ever was one. It takes a year or two for them to really trust you, but once they do there is no more stable and sensible mount.

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

Absolute best horse i ever owned
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

My current project
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Misfits Poco
Granddaughter of Poco Bueno. And the best horse I've owned.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

This is Vandal......real name Coach Vinny. He sold as a yearling for nearly half a million but was decidedly too lazy for the track and ended up at a kill sale. We got him from a rescue for a few hundred bucks. He is easily one of the kindest and most gentle animals to grace GODs green Earth, our toddlers ride him.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

wvfarrier wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:22 am This is Vandal......real name Coach Vinny. He sold as a yearling for nearly half a million but was decidedly too lazy for the track and ended up at a kill sale. We got him from a rescue for a few hundred bucks. He is easily one of the kindest and most gentle animals to grace GODs green Earth, our toddlers ride him.
My mare "Shay's Gal" was nearly the same way. Her sister was Quarter Horse of the Year back in the mid-80's. Gal was too slow for the track and we were able to get her for pennies on the dollar. Her blood line on the Thoroughbred side went back to Native Dancer. I was happy she was too slow for the track as she made an excellent mountain horse for both hunting and trail riding ... and became a close and trusted friend.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

One of the best show horses i ever trained was a grand son of Native Dancer. Absolutely awesome bloodline
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

I shouldn't really post here as I don't own any horses but here are some of my mounts that I rode this past summer:

Debbie, a draft cross. She wasn't too excited about anything but she wasn't fast either. You could rope off of her if you could get her going fast enough to catch up to it which turned out to be near impossible. Great mountain horse, didn't seem to care what mischief the pack mules behind her were up to.

Reba was a great cow horse. She was a great mount if a bit spooky in the thick timber, especially around the deadfalls.

I never even knew this knot heads name. A little spooky but nothing unusual, pretty darn barn sour though.

I don't have a picture of Pistol, he was... special (and not in a good way). Normally a pack horse (they didn't tell me that until after I'd been riding him a few days) he did fine following someone else but as soon as you tried to take him off on his own he started coming apart. Acted like a wild animal every morning when it was time to catch horses and get them ready but once you did manage to get something around his neck he calmed right down. Scared of cows, trees, shadows, the wind, his own fanny burbs, etc. I made the mistake of trying to rope off of hime once. Just once.
But through all that he still tried. He broke my rifle but only after I made him go through a bog (that he didn't want to) and he got hung up and went down. Twice I had poor fitting saddle roll on him and he just stopped and waited for me to figure out what the heck I was doing. There was something wrong with this horse, he'd been through several owners/trainers and never learned a thing but he never did unload me even when presented with prime opportunity. Oh he wen't down several times but that is not the same. Even riding through the snowstorm he did alright even if he was a bit spooky.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I like the way you pack the rifle. I packed mine the same way but on the other side. Worked for me. With the rifle like that I could get it out and into action without getting out of the saddle. I saw guys carry them like the movies .. horizontal with butt to the rear .. and saw lost rifles when the horse jumped a small creek or ditch. I deer hunting one morning and coming down the trail to where there was a small ravine the horse had to hop over, there was a 30-30 Winchester laying in the dirt. I got off and picked it up, climbed back aboard and laid the rifle across my lap and rode on down the trail. In about a mile I met up with 3 guys horseback. One was the local Baptist preacher and I could see his scabbard was empty. I rode up and said "howdy" and we talked about where the deer were. After a bit I said, "God gave me a new rifle." Of course they all started asking how that happened. I explained about the 30-30 I was holding and suddenly the preacher got this funny look on his face as he glanced back where his rifle should be. I handed it back to him, for which he was thankful. It was worth seeing the look on his face.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Thats a pretty funny story! I bet his face was priceless!
Honestly I'd have rather had that scabbard pulled a little farther back but it wasn't possible with that borrowed scabbard. The buttstock sitting just behind the neck strap on the breast collar would have been ideal but no matter what I tried I couldn't get it pulled back further. It did sit comfortably right under my knee and was easy to get to the rifle mounted or not. Even from the drivers side it was easy to reach over the horse to get the rifle. I did have an old boot lace run through the scabbard so I could tie the rifle in place but it really wasn't needed.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My Half-Arab, Half-Appaloosa Colt. Mother was an Arab Mare, Father a Appy Stud. Double papered. Arizona Appaloosa Assy. 2000 Color Champion of the Year.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My Quarter-Horse, trail horse, on a competitive trail ride.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Only an iron horse here...
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

An iron pony, too...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Lefty Dude wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 pm My Quarter-Horse, trail horse, on a competitive trail ride.
It looks all horse to me. What are the other 3/4ths?
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Screenshot_2019-10-10-23-15-48-1.png
:o
...actually these aren't mine....but I don't have any of the kind you guys have, either, except maybe little plastic ones I had as a kid to go along with the toy barn and tractor and I think some cowboys and Indians and dinosaurs.... :D

We owned a Haflinger pony for a couple years though. I miss those days.... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sorry about the poor picture, click to enlarge, they are not mine but I have to look after them occasionally. Unfortunately they have only been schooled for English :roll: so no use to me.
How I miss the Quarter Horses I used to ride.
IMG_20190724_194930.jpg
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:18 pm Screenshot_2019-10-10-23-15-48-1.png
:o
...actually these aren't mine....but I don't have any of the kind you guys have, either, except maybe little plastic ones I had as a kid to go along with the toy barn and tractor and I think some cowboys and Indians and dinosaurs.... :D

We owned a Haflinger pony for a couple years though. I miss those days.... :(
I swear that’s a bar in Thailand I used to frequent.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Me and horses never did get along.