Marlin 1894 44mag sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
b79holmes
Levergunner

Marlin 1894 44mag sights

Post by b79holmes »

Me, buckhorn sights and bifocals, ugh.

First, with the buckhorn, I'm starting to realize that the front sight has to be down deep in the rear. True?

Second, I bought a Skinner Post, just the one with the peep and no base with the Marlin size (8X something) screw.
Thinking if I screwed it all the way down it would work with the existing front sight. Nope, not close.
It will only go in about half the length of the threaded shaft.

So before I do something stupid like shorten it, will shortening it work or do I still need to change out the front sight,
Do these still work with a hooded front sight ? Is the base required?

Thanks,
Bill
wm
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1894 44mag sights

Post by wm »

+1

I feel you bruh! :wink:

Sadly I find myself looking more and more at those red dots and what not with the intention of cheating father time just a little bit longer.

Wm
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

b79holmes wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:38 pm

First, with the buckhorn, I'm starting to realize that the front sight has to be down deep in the rear. True ?

Second, I bought a Skinner Post, just the one with the peep and no base with the Marlin size (8X something) screw.
Thinking if I screwed it all the way down it would work with the existing front sight.
It will only go in about half the length of the threaded shaft.
So before I do something stupid like shorten it, will shortening it work or do I still need to change out the front sight ?

The Skinner Lo-Pro peep sights can work, but the front/rear sight heights above the bore C/L must be close to even in order to zero the rifle.

The Lo-pro can be used with the locking ring removed from the stem, but before shortening the stem I would suggest using a long straightedge spanning the tops of both the existing front sight and the rear sight, extended back over the top of the receiver to determine how high above the top of the receiver the line-of-sight is.

That measurement should tell whether of not the Lo-Pro will work if lowered, or if your rifle will need a new front sight blade approx. 0.10" taller than the issue front sight blade.

Do these still work with a hooded front sight ? Yes

Is the base required ?

The Skinner Lo-Pro doesn't have a base, instead utilizing one of the scope mount prep holes atop the receiver.

I hope that helps you. :)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It isn't hard to replace the front sight with a taller one if you want to do that. The calculation on sight height is fairly straightforward and is covered in some other posts on this forum. If you can't find them ask and someone will help.

Not trying to talk you out of the Skinner sight, but I do have a thread I posted that shows a bunch of other lever gun siding options for people with old eyes like mine.

Maybe it will help - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31831#p390174
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I gave up on buckhorns long ago and started flat-topping them. Being an old pistolero, using the same hold for my rifles simplifies things and I can hit with these as well as peeps.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/improve ... -model-92/

People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my problem is which of the three beads to use . . . my chicom 12 ga has a rear receiver with a post front sight... for some reason I get a good sight picture with that setup... must be the hole size, post size, and distance between them. Or something like that.

the problem I have with the williams receiver sight I have on the guide gun is that the hole is too small, even with the insert out... and so it goes
b79holmes
Levergunner

Post by b79holmes »

I have a 196? Browning T2 and a Garand and I do fine with those peeps.
Handguns are also okay.
Rifle open sights, forget it.
I like the simplicity of the look of the Skinners, I guess they are just not quite as simple to switch out as I had hoped.
Bill