New member of the shooting fraternity/soroity. Actually two.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wm
Senior Levergunner

New member of the shooting fraternity/soroity. Actually two.

Post by wm »

I work at a University and one of the student workers on campus became aware of my interest in firearms. She quietly approached me about wanting to learn more about firearms. She wanted to get a firearm for self defense and maybe a Concealed Carry License. Her roommate was very anti gun and was not comfortable with her doing this. I suggested the 3 of us all go to the range and shoot a little and talk a lot.

We did.

A several times.

And they burned up a lot of ammo!

Both of the girls come from a rough part of Detroit. Their attitude about firearms were formed by what they saw. Cops and Robbers played out in real life with real consequences. The roommate has a brother doing 5 years in prison on weapons charges and his time in prison has gone badly. He has attempted suicide twice.

Any case we talked a lot and shot a variety of handguns and rifles and shotguns. Beyond the ins and outs of firearms we talked about personal security and choosing carefully who we spend time around and what we spend time around. Wrong place, wrong time is no joke and no excuse.

Anyway the girls have really enjoyed themselves. They both have now purchased handguns for self defense …… Tauras G2C for one and the other a used Ruger Single Six (budgets being what they are).

And I got a couple new shooting buddys! Now if I can just get them to go hunting ………. :lol:

Wm
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New member of the shooting fraternity/soroity. Actually two.

Post by jnyork »

Now, THAT is the way it's supposed to work!! Good job, wm. Good job. :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got to say that that beats all of the "elk hunting with my buddy" stories ever. If we could all do that at least once a year it would not only be fun for us personally, but make a really positive change in the world. Not only with those particular individuals be safer personally, they would also be more educated voters, and less likely to fall from politicians who are would-be tyrants. They might even tell their friends...!

I've done similar things every couple years, and what I find is that is important to start out with something that is not intimidating looking, or noisy, or full of recoil (definitely NOT a typical self-defense handgun, even if that is their ultimate goal). It also needs to be easy to shoot and hit with, so they enjoy success and something that they anticipated would be very difficult.

I almost always start them off sitting on the bench using a lever action rifle chambered in 22 rimfire, that has an integrally suppressed barrel to make it even more quiet, no recoil, and a TruGlo Red Dot sight that may be cheesy looking but is extremely easy to use and makes sure that they will hit the 6-inch 50-yard gong nearly every time they pull the trigger. After a 10-shot magazine full of success, they are hooked... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I seen lots of people go from never having shot anything but their brothers BB gun, to hitting a 5 gallon bucket at 50 yards with a 44 Magnum and a Springfield M1A, and ENJOYING it....!

Newbie Course I've used: > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16312

Talk about a sense of empowerment...!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

The lowly 22lr rimfire has done more for the 2nd Amendment then all the other cartridges combined.

Wm
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Well done 8) The more NEW shooters who have been properly educated the better for all of us, it's a shame more girls don't take up shooting, they're usually good shots.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

gamekeeper wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:17 pmWell done 8) The more NEW shooters who have been properly educated the better for all of us, it's a shame more girls don't take up shooting, they're usually good shots.
I've spent this week at a cowboy action shoot here in No. Texas... Several of the women shooters have been seen around the camp during non shooting hours sporting a t-shirt (yes it's still t-shirt weather in TX), which sez on the back:

"Yeah, I know I SHOOT like a GIRL; try to keep up!"

And while humorous, in several of these cases, it's VERY true!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good job. Teaching anyone to shoot and not be afraid of guns is good. Teaching a young woman from a bad area and leading her to make good decisions is better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Wn, that's just excellent - and very good to hear.

You're doing the good work, for sure !

Congrats ! !

minish
Levergunner

Post by minish »

Great story! Good job and thank you!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Maybe some of our shooting competitions should add bonus points to anyone's score who brings guests who are first-time competitors. :!:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "