The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Old Savage »

Working pair, .44 Special, Mora Garberg Carbon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, must have won something big this time ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred....you won! Yes......your gonna win something BIG this time. I'm going to award you my yard trailer. I use it for hauling mulch, branches, rocks, etc. you can hook it up to your Jeep Patriot and haul your golf clubs around the golf course. You will even have some extra room for your harem of soft stuff.....lucky guy! Send me the single action 44 Spl...you can have the knife.

Tom.....the heavier duty vehicle you have the more it costs to fix as the parts are heavier duty and there's are MORE parts. But you knew that......just ask Griff what it costs to fix the Black Rose......that's why I have a Jeep...simple and a million aftermarket parts.

Well Gunny...your right....dogs are appreciative.......they sure beat people.......after all the food you ate, your gonna keep the people who make toilet paper in business tomorrow. Don't forget, flush twice and send that Obama home! :D ---6

Rain tomorrow night...gotta get those two good walnut logs hauled out behind the barn.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jack I am well aware of the cost of repairing the Rose. I was an owner operator before nursing school. While in nursing school, I was the shop manager for a big truck repair shop. I was the guy that wrote those HUGE bills.
The bearing isn’t expensive, it’s just that there are three options for my truck. I want to know how to tell one from the other, so I can be sure that I NEED the one they aren’t gonna have in stock.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I have faith in your expertise Tom........

if it ain't one thing, it's another. Tonight I couldn't find the toothpicks....---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, I have logs and a trailer ... in PA. ;-)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:46 pm Wow, I have logs and a trailer ... in PA. ;-)
That's right AND Jack will meet you halfway to make the swap! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:46 pm Wow, I have logs and a trailer ... in PA. ;-)
Whoa...whoa...whoa......there Mr Old Savage...I said the "trailer"......nothing about logs. But.......because it's YOU, I will throw in that real nice straight walnut log and ....and......deliver it to you in sunny Southern California......

I'm sorry but it's going to be a "quid pro quo"......which means that my sidekick, Gunny, will be coming along and we will both need to be "adjusted" at your office........first our back, then the necks..

Oh poop....back to reality......I'd like to finish up this wood splitting thing I got going on....

Oh Guuuunnnnnyyyyy.........in your expertise, do you think it's ok to store the walnut logs....(the one that's decent) .....outside, up off the ground a bit until I can find a sawmill? I found several sawmills but they are like 40 miles away.....
heard of a guy who has one down the street...dunno yet.....maybe I can get Griff to haul it to Pitchy's.----6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

When you buy your new portable sawmill, Six, bring it on down to TX... I've got a bunch of work for it. You can take along some of the mesquite & Bois D'Arc along on your trip to see OS! But, in the meantime, come along for the six day a week "Mail Run" at the Lazy Rockin' G!

https://youtu.be/4WUrVlWMMS0
Sorry about the noise from the roof, the brackets are not quite as stiff as I thought they'd be from ¼" flat bar. I wanted the roof tucked close to it's supports, but... maybe it's a little too close!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh Siiiiiixxxx , yes it would probably be ok but I would make sure to seal the ends of the log with a very good sealer- no not spray paint. Wax is a good idea.
Yes get it up off the ground.
Just a thought but look at Alaska saw mill , not terribly expensive and after the initial investment you can cut boards whenever, wherever for any tree ya want.
Baileysonline.com

Nice golf cart, sure makes getting the mail easier!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hey! When you guys get that sawmill ready to go, haul er on up. Oh! And pick up a skidder, maybe an excavator too. You can park em up to the lot. I got a little work for you. Got some logs to be cut and milled......a food plot or two could be put in.
I'll run up and flag everything. Let me know when you boys are done. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh sure NOW you want your woodlot logged. Could have done it 3 months ago! Yes I do have some skidder time !

I have toyed with the idea of a portable bandsaw mill for years. My Forrester buddy keeps telling me I'd go broke so I never dropped the hammer on one.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Buying a portable sawmill would be the same as buying a pick up truck back in the early seventies. I was the only guy at the plant who had a pick up truck and once every couple of weeks I was asked, "hey, can you help me move?"....or "can you pick up a couch for me?". I did a few times but like most people, the guys I worked with are cheap.....getting $5 for gas was like pulling a wisdom tooth.......did a few times and stopped.............Ain't happening, I've got shooting to do this weekend.-----6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

FINISHED! Three weeks later I'm done....about 7 cords.

Taken from the roof.

Zoom...you will notice the world's finest wheelbarrow off to the left...orange.....

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That should keep ya nice & toasty !
The alaska mills work quite well, ya can also use any chainsaw.
Now you can sit back and watch the fire, sip a coffee and be here all winter.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Can't sit still long enough for coffee Gunny.......yep...the heating bill is paid for in advance.

This Alaskan saw mill thingy.....gonna look into it as I have a steady source of varying hardwoods.....if I want it......but then I would need a planer.....AND a 30" bar chain saw.....if it's cut on a regular sawmill a good sander will smooth it out.--6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice work on that wood. Very neat.

Now on that log and trailer. I am going to have to store it at your place. No room here at the condo.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey I said they work I never said it would make furniture grade slabs... well actually even the bandsaw mills make rough surfaces but ya gotta stack & sticker the boards for drying and they warp so ya always have to work the boards anyhow. I have a 20" planer, bring over what ever ya want planed! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Look Gunny....I have to do something....Old Savage wants the log and the trailer and I can't give it to him "in the raw".....besides, he wants to keep it here and I have a rule...no logs.......except in the toilet. :D

I ought to go to bed.....I put in near 10 straight hours outside in 92 degree heat.....I'm dragging and brain dead......(ok, what's new?)

Isn't that hard on a chain saw cutting edgewise into the grain?

Gunny....
Old Savage is my mentor and hero.......as far as I'm concerned, he's the leader of the Gun Room. OK, get ready........(sung to,the tune of "off to see the wizard". I'm off to see the chiropractor, the wonderful chiropractor of Concord, Pa. :D (tomorrow)

Like I said, I'm brain dead.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice woodpile Six! Must give you a sense of accomplishment.
Probably OS doesn't need quite as much to keep warm for the winter. Couple cords probably. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

For the amount of boards you are going to cut the wear & tear on a chainsaw shouldn't be a problem. Would I want to make boards daily this way? NO! Also ya get a RIPPING chain or two, they are ground differently . Keep em sharp and the saw shouldn't have an issue.

Pack up that log, your new Alaska mill and head west and you can start making boards and stop the homeless problem in no time. But build an outhouse first thing so you aren't stepping in it while you are working! :lol:

Hit a local shop yesterday- would you believe not a single box of Winchester AA target loads! So I ordered a flat (250 rounds) of
1 &1/8 oz 7& narfs for shooting ZZ birds. I had enough points earned to get them free and no shipping!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I've never been to California but i hear the area where OS lives, there is never rain and temps don't go below 50.....beside, Fred has PLENTY of things to keep him warm.

I her ya Jay on the "sense of accomplishment".....it's a double edged sword......I get up today and besides going to the chiropractor, my innermost dialog says, "mmmm, what am I going to do today?" :D

Go WEST young man as Horace Greeley used to say......naaaa....I don't even like leaving the house anymore. There's no homeless issues here for at least another hundred years ....but ...that must be disgusting, stepping on crud and needles.....and WE give them the money to buy the drugs......we have very short tempers on that mode of living in my household.....if someone truly needs help I'm the first to give, but if your a bum, hit the road Jack....-----6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

95° here today, 11%.humidity...

Ca has half the homeless in the country. See them all the time going by the office. A lot of pan handling goes on. LA was putting them on a one way train ticket up here.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I spent my summers as a kid in Woodfords CA . South of Lake Tahoe. It was sage brush, blue belly fence lizards, scorpions and fire ants- heaven for a kid with a homemade noose on a long dowel my uncle made for me so I could catch lizards, fishing and a wrist rocket!
My mom's dad was a justice of the peace and my grandmother was full blooded Washoe Indian. Boy how I loved being out there! As for San Francisco, LA they were just how we got to grandma's. I have no use for cities!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've traveled some, now. Seen some really cool places. I've only lived here in Maine, in the same town, my whole life. I like it here, and at my age it would take some serious bad changes to get me to move somewhere else.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd like to be ANYWHERE but here! Have my sights on either Kansas or Idaho.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh oh! Gunny is 12.5% Indian....(I think that's right)..........hey Tonto! You voting for Elizabeth Warren? :D

I was born in Philly and we moved to the country when I just turned 2.....love it here in the great free state of Pa......the home of every weekend gunshows and shooting matches......and fine antique Winchesters and Colts.

Gunny...don't think you want to move to Idaho......that's where all of the prostitutes come from......just go on any street corner and you will hear them hollar, "I da hoe".---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Come on up here, Gunny. Don't smile if you have all your teeth. Folks will think you're showin' off or putin' on air's.

Oh Six, that's a bad one. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup that's an old groaner Six!
Yes I'm Indian, more so than my cousins that still are on the reservation!

Well I guess I cant go to Maine, still got all my teeth, including 3 wisdom teeth!

Not that I dont like this area, as I do but it's getting worse. Maine is great, been there a few times but my heart is surrounded by sage brush, wide open vistas and mountains! Ya know like 6000 ft elevation where a 25-20 is good for long range shooting of pasture poodles!! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I hear you, Gunny. I want to see the southwest too. I think I'd like it. Very different from here.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay...how about the women up in Maine...do they have "Summer teeth?".....you know, some are here and some are there.

Nuttin going on here...my BIL stopped over and gave me an oil filter that will work on mom's Jeep...we bs for an hour or two....nothing special.....just killin' time.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh yeah, anything you want, Six. You can find some with money too. Those are the ones that can put their teeth in or take em out.
Best of both worlds. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Day 2 of getting out of bed at 0440, trying to get myself used to walking out the door for 0630. Sure I'm up at 0515 from habit but I've found that it's not enough time for me to get my act together by 0630. So far it's working!

Been looking at load manuals , not finding much data for cast in the 25-20. However I found a pound of H322 which is usable in the -20. Didnt know I had it. So I'll try it with jacketed. My 60 gr mould is a GC .
Also been looking at 41 moulds/ cast bullets. Couple places have 220 and 230 gr moulds. 265 seems like a bit too much.

Off to lowes for 2 more gate latches. Seems the girls can hit the gates just right to bounce them open! Not good !!!!!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six will clue you in on 25-20 loads.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay.....that's good! (With the removable teeth) . I'll take two please. I'd prefer the ones with the money and at this stage of my life, I don't care what they look like....just pass the Ben's.

Ok, where do I begin?....Gunny.....322 for the 25-20? :D sorry, no disrespect. Well, ya might get lucky.....waaaayyy too slow.......especially with a cast bullet and the double whammy comes with using a light cast bullet. It can't build up enough pressure for proper combustion. It will work with a heavier jacketed bullet like the 86 grain or probably any jacketed bullet. Cold weather below 40 will really show the inadaptability of a slow powder with a cast bullet.

Fast powders with light cast bullets. I've shot enough 4227 in the 25-20 to know its worthless in cold weather and is powder position sensitive....150 fps variations when barrel is moved around... On shooting, they sound OK and are accurate...at close range ..........medium fast powders rule with cast.....Bullseye, Unique, W-W 231......the lighter the cast bullet, the faster the powder. I LOVE AA #7 with the 70 gr. Speer jacketed. I won the regional championships in pistol caliber levergun silhouette with that load....back in 2013 when I could see using a model 53 Winchester takedown.

As for LATCHES....well, I've had enough animals to know what works......this is MY invention although it's probably been done a million times before. A chain saw cut in the post with a flat piece of steel. If you want to lock it, drill a half inch hole through the post...see the hole in the pic?.......and just insert some kind of round bar stock. .......threads or a small hole in the bar stock at the far end will secure it.

THERE! You learned something today!-------Corn Pop

A simple junk piece of spring will keep tension on it so it don't rattle and will keep pressure on the flat piece of steel if you choose not to "lock" it.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The 322 is jacketed data, hodgdon says 14.0 start, 15.0 is max and compressed for 1800-1900 fps so I can't see it being position sensitive.

I'm going to have to get a pound of AA7 and try that with my cast stuff. I've had this mould for 20 odd years and I haven't shot ano of them !

Gotta take pics of how I did the double latches.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok here is the gate.
20190925_124148-600x800.jpg
Only had a latch up high, now both high and low.
20190925_124154-600x800.jpg
I added a fairly heavy sinker to make sure the paracord wont hang up.
20190925_124201-600x800.jpg
See the eye bolt- had to get both latches in the same plane otherwise the top latch didnt close.
Of course I didn't have a 2nd eye bolt so I made one out of a 1/4-20, cut a slot in one end and silver soldered a washer in until I can get one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh Lordy ....your waaaaayy to uppity for me. That's nice and professional......even a silver soldered washer on some 1/4"-20. But...ya know, only the best for our little buddies. Heck, I've even been known to keep a large rock by a a gate or just wrap a coat hanger around the post.------6

On those hot loads in the 25-20...believe I stated at another time that you won't get much case life. With your bolt action that may not matter.....---6

All this bs on tv about Trump.....I'll never vote for a democrat for anything, even dog catcher. Think I'll make a yard sign and get ready for the nov. elections as voting takes place at the church a couple of hundred yards away.....NEVER DEM AGAIN
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just a precursor while we do the 10 day paper work dance. Buck Eye 32-20/32 H&R Mag. 1 of 200.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh boy!!!!!CAN I HAVE IT??!!!

It's going to be interesting once in your hands........then.........in my hands via Mr. Buffalo Coat. Like the grips Fred.....--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey , wait I thought we were waiting on a Blackhawk...?
Yes I like those grips too!

I always ran 680 then 1680 in the-20, think maybe I had lost a total of 10 cases out of 200 , not from high pressure but by crushing them in the press with a cocked bullet...
Hmm wonder if I can run the 25 expander into the bee brass as I have about 400 of them...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey , wait I thought we were waiting on a Blackhawk...? Oh it is a Blackhawk!! That's nice! Dont give it to Six, I'll give ya 5 bucks for it! :D
Yes I like those grips too!

I always ran 680 then 1680 in the-20, think maybe I had lost a total of 10 cases out of 200 , not from high pressure but by crushing them in the press with a cocked bullet...
Hmm wonder if I can run the 25 expander into the bee brass as I have about 400 of them...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sixster, there is another set of "faux ivory" like grips. Too much paper work interaction to appreciate it. Comes in a Colt box. Good because I have Colt's with no box.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very interested in experience with the 32-20, interesting cartridge. I have new cases and some others resized by the guy who has suffered the most of my moderating activities :-)

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very interested in other's experience with the 32-20, interesting cartridge. I have new cases and some others resized by the guy who has suffered the most of my moderating activities :-)

He has been a good sport other than some others.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred....if you give the 32-20 to Gunny, I'm gonna ban you from any soft stuff for a year!!!!!! ......and, I'm going to confiscate your golf clubs.

On a serious note, your going to enjoy playing with the 32-20......think 38 Spl.....as long as the bullet is the same + or - a thou of the cylinder mouths, about any load within reason will shoot good.....UNLIKE the 25-20 which is one, if not the most finicky cartridge to play wth......with cast bullets......------Corn Pop
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

6ster, of the many cartridges I have loaded for the 25-20 is the most curious. But,, I have a Marlin CL so ...

Wanted a CL 32-20 but it got away from me. Already load. the 32 Mag. .Not much more to say until I start

Older fellow bought this today. One of 2500.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred.....tell that older fellow that's my gun...my name is on it.....look at the cylinder ..... :D

How much did he pay for that? I could have had one about 15 years ago but at that time I was not interested......believe then it was 5.

Had to turn off Fox News.....it was making my nerves bad......getting tired of this democratic stuff.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's why I don't watch the news.....at all.
Won't allow a newspaper on my property.

OS,
Nice Smith!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here comes the SNOW! Montana,Idaho are looking to get up to a couple feet! Bet those folks aren't protesting global warming.

That smith is very nice but I noticed your name is upside down! :lol:

Was monkeying with my 410 press yesterday, can't get 2&1/2" to crimp! Used to load them just fine. I've forgotten something about how to adjust it... Was going to try a few light game slugs. Now I gotta try them in 3", 25 gr of little gun is supposed to push these around 2500 fps plus! Tried to chamber a 444 case in my 410, rim is too thick by about .010 keeping the gun from closing so I can't use those for these slugs...

Time for coffee!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!