The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Old Savage »

How is walnut prepared for gun stocks.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Whoa now, don't tell me ... I won the three logs, I pay shipping? :-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun Jr wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:00 amNot a huge fan of rice pudding.....looks like you have it done properly. My wife loves it....
The key to liking rice pudding (like most other foods) is serving it with either ice cream, bourbon, or BOTH.... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok...ok.......the walnut logs belong to Fred...but only one is suitable for lumber on a Winchester........I have to wait for Gunny to confirm that as I'm not an expert of what it actually takes. I do know the log needs to be sawed into boards ....thick boards if they will be stocks.....then dried wth air circulating all around the board. I can do this in the barn like I did to all that oak I have.

Probably just going to saw it into 1" boards for projects around here....

I do believe the "heart" or center of the log is useless and must be cut out.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Get ready!!!!!! EAT! My sister in law makes the best apple pie in the history of the world...yea, I know, we are a family of winners............she waits until she can find these crispy apples then bakes up about a dozen of them and hands em out to family members.....this one is the second...we ate the first one three days ago.....well, it took us three days to eat it...must weigh 7-8 pounds.----6

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Rice pudding, love it. Just some cream over it will do?

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

AJMD429 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:59 pm
Sixgun Jr wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:00 amNot a huge fan of rice pudding.....looks like you have it done properly. My wife loves it....
The key to liking rice pudding (like most other foods) is serving it with either ice cream, bourbon, or BOTH.... :lol:
I can't do rice pudding. The ice cream and bourbon are a go...........not sure about at the same time, as I've never tried that. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You are right Six Jr, the log is cut in thick slabs, then dried. Sure that straight log is fine if ya want plain straight grain but if ya want high figured then ya gotta cut the crotch wood!

Baileys is good on the rice pudding too!

Does she use LARD for her crust? Without lard there is no way it can be the best in the world- however I have been known to eat an apple pie by myself!! My second mother, aka Piemaker, makes me a birthday pie every year! And yes she uses lard.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Dunno about the lard......that's all I know is once I start eating it I can't stop......oh Lordy.....I'll fanny burp huge blasts for half a day.

Well.....down the yellow brick road.....down the yellow brick road.......to the gun club...to the gun club......where happiness reigns.........with the mighty BAR........down the yellow brick road.......OFF to see my buddies....down the yellow brick road. :D -----6......
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So how did it shoot?

I spent the day doing another part of the big pine job. Trying to get loose ends tied up before 10/7 when I start the new gig.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Gunny....got home a couple of hours ago.....everything shot up to par. The 155 Sierra's out of the LWRC that cost $45 a box were good but not GREAT.......no better than the 150 Nosler.....I noticed some vertical stringing .....primers showed top pressure...maybe drop a grain and retry......I'll use em for the match this weekend out of the LWRC.

BAR shot good too but that 8.5 trigger pull. The little 8" barreled Black Out with cast and 16.5 of 5744 showed it to be a great close defense/play gun......while not crazy accurate it was good for extra large grapefruits out to 200 meters. Still have a lot of developing to do with that gun.

My butt is dragging...got up early and still have a Jeep full of stuff to unload....and clean.----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like a good time Six!
I tell ya, those Blackouts are a blast. Sometimes it takes some playing to find a good shooting load. You will get it, bud.
Are you making your brass or using commercial? Sometimes it's harder to get top accuracy with homemade brass.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sound like you had a good day at the range! There is a reason the BAR has an 8 lbs trigger- it's not a match rifle! I'm sure you are still the only guy on the planet shooting silhouettes with one, and that makes it all the more spectacular!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, I suppose an 8lb trigger on a 20lb rifle isn't as bad as it would be on a 6lb rifle. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Decided to splurge and celebrate the new job. Bought this today.
20190917_183631-600x800.jpg
I dont have the connisoure palette some do but I do like to try different whiskey. This was bottled for the local store. Had some , very smooth but not much is flavors like some higher end stuff.

Yeah if I had more cash on hand I would have bought a gun but this has to do for now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Oh man! Gunny's drinking like a pro. Got a call from social security today and they said my check will be coming two days early from now on as there's been a huge influx of cash coming in mid Oct. :D

Jay.....just a mix of homemade and commercial......I'm not looking for extreme accuracy...... say....4" at 200 meters which is close to what I got today with cast bullets. ......excepting common flyers which was undoubtedly due to my fast shooting with an eight inch barrel which is more prone to inaccuracies with an improper hold. I also forgot to bring my 300 BO specific Mag Pul mags which prevent the commonfeed issues. The steel Colt mag was horrific while the mag Pul .223 mag was pretty good.---------------Corn Pop
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Weeeelll after work tonight I did get to go to the range.
I shot my new to me slug barrel on my mossberg 500 so so but didn’t have it bore sighted so wasted most of the slugs getting it in the bullseye. Now that I am sighted in I am gonna go get 5 different kinds of slugs and see what it likes most. I don’t live or hunt in a slug gun only area butnya gotta be prepared if ya get invited to go someplace new to hunt.

I also shot my 1886 takedown on 33wcf. I think I am on the right track with this powder but the real limiting factor is the eyesight of the loose nut behind the trigger.
I also got to shoot my Marlin 1892 in 32 long. I am closing in on the load for this one. It will never be a tack driver but getting close to minute of squirrel and still working at it.
7146D9B9-8041-4518-ACD9-13DDE2CCB872.jpeg
402991BA-44E5-4EE4-9771-D5A247E541B6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Tom....your getting good at posting pictures I see......yea, guys like you and I who are mechanically minded have a rough time with this cyber crud.

You probably know this but next time when you have no idea where the sights are....shoot it at 25 yards.....it will be easy to see where you have to go and is usually dead on at 100.

I put a new Nikon on the BAR last week and when I went to the club today I had no idea where it was gonna hit as you can't visually bore sight a BAR like you can on a bolt rifle or a Marlin levergun......so......I just turned the scope power down to 4x and let one off at a small rock at 200 meters.....2' low and a foot to the left was the impact....just added 12 minutes high and 6 minutes right and I was on in three shots. From there I went to 3,4,and 500 meters and in about 10 shots I was busting clay birds on every bank.

How's the 33 shoot? My guess with open sights and semi old eyes.....about 4-6" at 100. Those lightweights heat up fast so take your time in between shots. ----6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Sorry Tom...just noticed the bottom pic.....that's good!....but what's the distance?--6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad you got to the range, Tom. Good shooting. Never had a slug gun. They shoot really well though.

Hey Six,
Yeah, I bet if you use one brand of commercial brass it will tighten up. A Lee Factory Crimp die helps too. Don't know what you are using for powder. I like H110 for supers with lighter bullets. I've never shot cast in mine but I know a lot of guys get good results.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey Tom, don't be afraid to try 3" slugs, sometimes the accuracy improves with less ' jump' through the forcing cone. And yes try a bunch of different slugs. My Savage 220 really likes 3" Remington Accutip. It'll keep 3 inside 2-3" at 100.
I'd say your 33 is well within minute of deer/bear/elk. The 32 long looks like a great project, finding a load is half the fun. With those teeny tiny powder charges you get a lot of bang for your buck!

I just can't warm up to the ARs, I have them, they shoot fine but I just don't like em! Guess high figured walnut, deep rich blue and engraving has made me a snob :lol: !

Oh boy 6 am- time for coffee!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The 33 was shot at 50 yards and The limiting factor is my ability to see a paper target at that range with these glasses. I think I can get the 32 to shoot with more work.
I have settled on a load for both my “buck gun” and my “doe gun” for this year and I need to spend a couple range sessions. With the buck gun 35/30-30 to see about drop past 100 as that’s as far as my local range goes. The doe gun is a 1886src in 45/70 and I can hit a small water bottle with it out to 100 good enough. I can hit stuff with the 33 but doing load development Is hard because I can’t make out the target clearly but I was able to hit “objects “with it at 75 yards.
Yup coffee is done.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey have you tried the 200 gr Hornady .338 they make for the Marlin Express? I just read an article about it and the light bulb went on! The author said he has killed multiple moose with his...
Screenshot_20190918-070353_DuckDuckGo-600x1233.jpg
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That's a great idea on the 33 cal. Hornady bullet....I initially thought of over all length being too long......because of the flex tip.......but the 86 action is long as 45-70's and 45-90's feed through the same rails.

And Jay......yep on the factory crimp die......I knew I was missing something.....don't have one but I bet I could get a 32-20 f.c. die to work until I can find one. I'll have to make a small adjusting spacer.

Well.....bright sunshine today....think I'll clean guns and split some wood later......---6
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I had thought about the flexi tip and the SST just didn’t get around to it yet. I have a full time (plus) job unlike two of the members of the peanut gallery :lol: The real issue is the bad eyes. I put a email out to Colorado this morning to see if Mr. Pearson’s no drill scope mount could be modified to fit my 86. I would not leave it on there but for load development why not. I have a guy who is an amazing aluminum welder and if need be maybe I could buy one for a 1894 and do some additional hackin and stickin t get something that will work buuuut I would hate to do all that and find that Pearson had already done the research.
Thanks for thinking of me though.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ugh! Nothing has come together yet today!
Started by cleaning pellet stoves and chimneys. Not a hard task but moving the stoves is a pain. Then a fastener that hold a trim piece broke, had to reengineer that. As I'm coming in the basement I eyeball a valve that was leaking, as I lean against the wood pellets I feel water!? Take ceiling tiles down( again reinforcing my utter hatred of drop ceilings!) Find 2 drops of water but no leak!! No signs of a leak ?????!!!!

Yes sir it is always better to pay for someone else's hard earned learning curve. Like I told ya I'm always thinking !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

.22 Mag, Mora Garberg Carbon

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well...came in to drop off an AOC and Old Savage I said showing off the nice stuff....not the soft stuff, but the nice stuff. (Well, I guess the former is soft and nice)........that single action Ruger looks alfully new to me.

Gunny is still in the "thinking stage" of life. I'm past all that......and it wasn't easy.....just gliding now. My motto is "The Simpler, The Better" . In my next life it's gonna be a two room log cabin and a horse.....AND a few Winchesters and Colts.

Tom is working...good! Let me explain something to you young man...if you can shoot groups that good at fifty yards, you won't have any issues out to 100. .....and more if you have a decent rest. People put too much emphasis on extreme accuracy for deer hunting. I've learned a thing or two......there's little to no difference out to 100 yards.....or 50-75 with aging eyes......with a scope vs. metallic sights. Up until I was around 50, little difference out to 200.......the old timers proved that over a hundred years ago. A scope just lets you SEE easier.

Well, my daughter stops over and her and her sweetheart are going camping this weekend......they need some camp knives, a hatchet, and a revolver.......why she picked me for these things is anyone's guess....I don't keep that stuff around here.----6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, a tour through my gun safe would reveal almost e everything looks new. I have only three pistols with many rounds fired - Mod 24 6,000, Springfield 1911 5,000, K22. many thousands no count. And they all look very good.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

That's makes ense Fred......those three are your "working guns". Pretty much the same here.......working guns, once a year guns, investment guns, ..........

There's an old saying that I read as a young man and really didn't understand it at the time but I do now...."condition sells". :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Pete, my UPS driver must be on vacation- normally he is here by 4...come on I need that shell holder!! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

The one with the crack....refresh my memory....was it still usable? There's not a whole lot of pulling power on those cartridges.

Splitting and sawing today....dirty...tired......my once a month shower coming up.....see what Fox News is up to.....hey, speaking about Fox News, I read this morning that this Muslim airline mechanic sabotaged a plane engine and he is supposed to be sentenced today...never heard about that one. The passengers had to get on another ✈️. ---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No the cracked shell holder is not useable, it doesn't hold a case straight in the press. Now I have a hornady that fits my case prep center, the bad rcbs and a good RCBS for the 218/25-20.

I saw about that mechanic last week. From what I heard he filled the pito tube with spray foam. The pito tube measures air speed. That could/would have been very bad! Thankfully the crew noticed they didnt have airspeed on the take off roll and aborted!

Seriously- does ANYONE enjoy case trimming?!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

PITOT tube. Named after the French guy who invented it.Heck I did learn sumthin when my Daddy paid all that money for me to go to airplane mechanic school.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

While I don't enjoy trimming I also don't hate it......I consider it part of the job......but....I'm not anal about it either...if a case grows .010 I ain't trimming....it's good to keep them all uniform if your seeking extreme accuracy or for a proper crimp...which is not necessary for most jacketed bullet applications.....a proper sized expander ball is MORE important along with quality of the resizing die. Only cases that need trimming are the high pressure ones.........223's get trashed after about the third loading.....'06 and .308 get one trimming and then they also get trashed.....and who can shoot 300 Win mag or 338 lapua enough times to where it needs to be trimmed? :D

I'll take a few samples from the same batch of brass and if it's .015 or more above mol I'll trim....take notes...load it a few more times and trash/recycle.

People don't know how to set their dies properly and push that shoulder back or they run high pressures in cheap foreign guns that have soft steel. I can run 30-30's and like pressure cartridges in hundred year old+ guns until the cases neck split....15 loadings?...without any trimming.-------Corn Pop
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Tom...you went to mechanics school for flying aircraft?.......I bet you learned a few things that has helped with cars.--6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The reason I'm trimming these 100 odd bee cases is they weren't shot out of my #1 and they are 10-20 thou long. Shoulders are a bit forward. Figured I'd get them prepped for possible future use. Although I do have a box of vmax 40s and a box of Berger MEF 40s. I got 50 trimmed last night. Also found 4 or 6 boxes of new primed bee brass in the drawer last night that I had forgotten about!

Pitot- I spelled it wrong, sue me :D .

Now the Canadian Prime Minister has been caught in black face and the left is going nuts!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Ok Gunny you asked for it.
Pursuant to Mr. Gunny Mack’s (hereafter referred to as the defendant) improper spelling of the term Pitot ( a mechanical device used to measure the speed of the fluids or gases passing through it), and his total disregard for the seriousness of this charge, he is being sued for the amount of One (1)box of fifty (50) brand new .218 Bee brass( a metallic case used to contain the propellant, and eventually the significant pressures associated with a round of ammunition).
If found guilty of the aforementioned crime the defendant shall submit in a certified mailing container said compensation to this plaintiff within 7 days from the date of judgement.
Respectfully submitted by T. Sellars
Abuse investigator
Pennsylvania Department of Health
Word Use Disorders Division
CONSIDER YOURSELF SERVED BIG BOY.
Hearing to be held before the Word Use Disorder panel comprised of Mr. S. Ixgun, Mr. O. Savage, Mr O. Win, and transportation is being arranged through the Griff transportation Service.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey at least I KNEW what it was!
However the press keep calling it ' an instrument to measure air speed'
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well then I must be wrong because we all KNOW the press research’s all thing to the ninth degree. Got a going to the range with my full auto double barrel.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey I got 5 of those!!

Well the mason is on site, front steps are coming out, the block supporting the brick has deteriorated and he is rebuilding them. NO MORE ROCK SALT!

Well back to trimming bee's !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Colt patent date.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just got an email from the gun club, they are having a swap meet this Sunday 8-1. Just incase Mr S. Ixgun or Mr F.ordwannbe have a desire to take a ride as I'll be there shooting a match.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Mr. F. Ordwannabe believes that would be fun because t I am willing to bet I will be gainfully employed by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania at that time.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If ya can make it great!

It looks like I have right around 400 pieces of Bee brass, 200 brandy-new, 80 or so factory loaded with the 46 gr HP. The new primed WW stuff has a $6.65 price tag on the box!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well there.
My wife's little toy poodle had been just withering since Saturday. Wouldn't eat, barely drink, no poop, just laying there.
Wife takes her to the vet Tuesday. They give her pills for a slight fever and check her out.
By the next day there is zero improvement. Wife takes her back to vet cause she has convinced herself that little Maggie has something horrific.
X-rays, different meds, more prodding........Vet sees nothing. No tumors or anything bad. He does say it looks like some gas in the stomach and intestines.
So this morning Maggie cuts a $510.00 fanny burp and she is back to her old self. Dog is such a wussy.
I don't know if I should be happy or rip pelosi pizzed.
Oh well. Just another day at Oldwin's. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

She was probably all bound up from eating a pine cone or some such from the dark Maine woods! :lol: maybe moose turds?!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Zoey, maybe.
Maggie does NOT go out. She is even box trained. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh boy now I've heard everything! :lol:
Well something made her feel cruddy but she obviously feels better now.

Hey look at that another 2 boxes of Remington 218 bee factory loaded ammo- red & green boxes. How old is this stuff!?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:14 pm Oh boy now I've heard everything! :lol:
Well something made her feel cruddy but she obviously feels better now.

Hey look at that another 2 boxes of Remington 218 bee factory loaded ammo- red & green boxes. How old is this stuff!?
Seventies