Winchester 1873 help

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester 1873 help

Post by fordwannabe »

Working on a 1873 SRC for a buddy of mine. Gun is an original made late in the 19 century and it is a 44wcf. Gun seems pretty good, needed some springs and a good cleaning. His chief complaint was it didn’t operate right. Well I figured out that somebody(probably just to sell it) replaced one of the toggles. The left(opposite from loading gate) toggle is thicker, longer, wider and the holes are different distances than the original. I assume(yeah yeah I know you and me) that it is from a Uberti or some such, and this is preventing the bolt from retracting enough to clear the cartridge carrier thus the brass carrier won’t come up high enough to chamber a round. So does anybody have:
1) an original 1873 left side toggle for sale
2) a lead on one, or
3) where I might find a repop that is actually the same size as an original piece?
Thank you. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 1873 help

Post by earlmck »

I have thought of using these on mine.... haven't done it yet but this is a possibility. http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/ ... inchester/
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well you already have 1 original, 1 repro so why not just reshape the repro to match the original? Little time with a file and it's back up and running. Then at your leisure new matching parts can be found.
It doesn't hurt to try, if it works great if it doesn't you are still in the same boat!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Lots of Uberti links, in matched sets, for sale over on SASS classifieds. They replace them with short stroke sets. Lately I've seen a couple of sets from the new Mirokus offered. I have one of each, (Miroku and Win from 1885) and doing comparisons found the links to be interchangeable in mine. Or VTI has new ones and I would assume you can buy new from Winchester. Shouldn't be a problem.
ps I bought the Lee Shaver ones.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Did you try Bob Enck over in Myerstown at Enck's Gun Barn? He is big into the cowboy shooting and was always a trusted quality gunsmith.Also have a topnotch gunsmith down here in Reamstown. Clay Yount .Won't hurt to try..
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Tom,
I'd try Gunny's suggestion first......get that micrometer out and go to work......if that don't work, I agree with 308 magtip about Bob Enck being a great and knowledgeable guy and if I'm right, it's not too far of a drive for ya to his place...maybe 40 miles....not to mention he has about every kind of cowboy gun ever made and every caliber of brass for the old stuff.--6
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Bob is about 7 miles from me. I have done much business with him. The owner of the 1873 and Bob were friends many years ago. They had a falling out at some point, and I have VERY EXPLICIT instructions that we will cut this ;&(@&(@ rifle up, before we give that (&$):) a penny. Well that narrowed my options a bunch.
I tried to talk the owner into the Lee shavers but no go. The shop owner found an original that is “guaranteed to be good” for $50 so it will be here on Monday.
Thanks for all your input and help. I hope to have her up and running on Tuesday. I told the owner of the shop and the owner of the gun my fee.....10 rounds through it. He bought black powder ammo for it.🤗
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

One of the links could also be a link from an 1866, replaced years ago. They are close to 1873 dimensions but not quite on. As far as a replacement, eBay is your friend here. I have bought a few sets off of the bay when rebuilding 1873s several years ago.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Yup coyote nose we got an original link off eBay. It arrived last Saturday and tonight we got it all put back together and 4 of us got to shoot some buffalo bore black powder loads through it. All worked great.