Ted Williams M100 Scout Rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Ted Williams M100 Scout Rifle?

Post by Idiot »

I've got an old Ted Williams Model 100 30-30 carbine and want to turn it into a scout rifle. The carbine is in good shape and shoots straight. I guess the only thing I need to do it mount a long eye relief scope. It meets most of the other criteria for a scout rifle. However, I think I'd like to "improve" the cartridge to lengthen the amount of times I can reload the cases. So, here are three questions.

1. Have any of you guys done this?
2. I assume I can use the dove tail slot where the rear sight resides to mount a scope base - does someone make such a base? And I could drill a couple holes in the barrel for another base.
3. I assume I can get another 150 fps from an improved chamber - something close to a 300 Savage - which would justify the use of Hornady's rubber tipped bullets. Will these new bullets shoot accurately from barrels made prior to their invention? Of course, I could just buy Hornady 30-30 loads that actually shoot much faster than the standard 30-30 stuff, but I want reload and save money. I am cheap.

Please give me your thoughts and advise. Thanks.
"Please don't feed the trolls. Just the user name choice should be enough to ignore this guy..."
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ted Williams M100 Scout Rifle?

Post by GunnyMack »

At one point Henry had a scope base that fit the rear dovetail. They supplied these in lieu of d&t receivers.

If you are really going to improve the chamber be sure to use new brass to fire form. Not sure how much velocity you will gain with 30-30 imp. Setting head space can be a bit tricky, I'd recommend having the work done by someone that has cut improved chambers.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

I have used this one for 4 years with complete satisfaction.

https://www.mod94scoperail.com
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

A "scout" or handgun scope can be mounted on a top-ejection Winchester Model 94 with the rear sight dovetail about 4" from the front of the receiver, using an XS Sights LeverScout rail & D/T the top of the receiver ring for the rear end of the rail.

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8288

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've dabbled with the forward optic on a lever a few times.
For me, it screws up the balance. It definitely adds to the effectiveness if your vision isn't the best, however.
The best compromise I found was the mount made by Doug Turnbull that goes in the rear sight dovetail. It holds a Burris FF3 and is very unobtrusive.
My dad will be 78 thus fall and is using one on an old Trapper carbine I built for him 30 years ago.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Don’t forget the scope base made by Mr Peterson or Peterson that uses the original screw holes and the rear sight dove tail to mount a scope in the scout configuration. I have on one a 1892 and one on a 1894. Sixgun also has one or two. I find them to be stable and very serviceable items. About $75 IIRC
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

The set-up oldwin shows is what I have on my Rossi 357, 16" barrel ... works great. I also did an Ackley on a Win 94. It didn't seem to make much difference. Have since pulled the barrel and threaded it to a 20 gauge receiver on a 219 Savage. The Ackley came alive! I can't shoot and hunt as much as I would like so it doesn't get used so much. Why it seemed so much better on the Savage I don't know.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Gentlemen, thank you for the good advice and leads. I will look into all of them. I'm not expecting much from the Ackley Improved except longer case life. The regular old 30-30 can still take deer cleanly clear out to 250 yards just as it is. Again, thank you.
"Please don't feed the trolls. Just the user name choice should be enough to ignore this guy..."
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It sounds like a cool project...!

Depending on the purpose of a Scout Rifle, it may not be a good thing to have it chambered in a less than common cartridge. Whether that concern is applicable would mostly depend on whether it might be used when traveling and having to scavenge ammunition. In the case of just Ackleyizing, it wouldn't matter much anyhow, unless accuracy was really bad using regular cartridges.

Personally, I like Red Dot scopes better than regular ones if mounted forward, and prefer regular scopes be more rearward, even if offset to the side some. This is just MY preference and I suppose if I weren't old and set in my ways I might not care. :D

My 'Night Scout' levergunss have been practical; I actually do use them on the farm, though not as a Jeff Cooper type application.

Here's a picture of one of the Marlin ones (I made one from a Rossi 92 as well), and a link to the three articles I posted here on them.

Articles here > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46640#p583183
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Alan in Vermont
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Alan in Vermont »

EdinCT wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:32 pm I have used this one for 4 years with complete satisfaction.

https://www.mod94scoperail.com
I've got one of those on a 94 and absolutely love it! It's carrying a Leupold-Gilmour red dot sight. I tried three different red dots and the L/G was the one that fit exactly right the way I mount the gun. Look at "something" shoulder the gun and cheek the stock and the red dot is right on the "something". And, it doesn't screw up carrying the gun with my right hand around the receiver

Now I just need to find a strap ring so I can use a bungee sling. I tend to like the idea of being able to let the gun hang hands off if I want to use binocs or take a whizz.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Alan in Vermont wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:37 pmNow I just need to find a strap ring so I can use a bungee sling. I tend to like the idea of being able to let the gun hang hands off if I want to use binocs or take a whizz.
I think in some of my posts I linked to above, I showed the MagPul single-point sling attachment that goes on any Weaver/Picatinny rail section, and is really helpful. I have it on several firearms - AR's of course, but also some of my 'Night Scout' leverguns referenced above.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Idiot wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:40 pm Gentlemen, thank you for the good advice and leads. I will look into all of them. I'm not expecting much from the Ackley Improved except longer case life. The regular old 30-30 can still take deer cleanly clear out to 250 yards just as it is. Again, thank you.
I think you said you have the setup you're looking for. A Savage 99 in 308 might make the long range harvest a bit easier. It's a sniper round for a reason. But I can tell you that with a solid butt stock it's a shoulder bruiser. They are wonderful rifles though, even though they don't start with "W" .
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Grizz said: "I think you said you have the setup you're looking for. A Savage 99 in 308 might make the long range harvest a bit easier. It's a sniper round for a reason. But I can tell you that with a solid butt stock it's a shoulder bruiser. They are wonderful rifles though, even though they don't start with "W"."

Thanks for being practical Grizz - party pooper. I do have the set up I'm looking for and am on to the next set up I'm looking for, just before I begin the next one. Yee-haw!

I've owned about a half dozen 99 Savages in 308 Winchester, 300 Savage, 250 Savage, and 243 Winchester. I liked them all - until I shot them. For some reason I can't hit very well with them. I have missed everything I have ever shot at with a 99 Savage. I can throw a rock more accurately than I can hit with these rifles. And you are right, that metal butt plate and comb drop make a 308 feel like a 338 WM.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

shot the first deer on Mogollon Rim with a 99, so I have that old-time connection. nostalgia. glad you are putting that together. definitely longer range opportunities in that country. my pt91 7.62 has a soft recoil and an original bullet drop compensator scope, but at 11 pounds all up, I'll have to mobilize it on my bike and rig a swivel mount . . . later,
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Check with SKINNER SIGHTS. I believe thy have a rail that should mount to the top of your rifle that will allow scout type mounting and it also has iron sights built into it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"Thanks for being practical Grizz - party pooper. I do have the set up I'm looking for and am on to the next set up I'm looking for, just before I begin the next one. Eye-Haw!"

Yeah - I realized that it has gotten so bad that ON THE WAY HOME FROM THE GUN SHOP I'm already planning what my next 'need' is..... :lol:

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:57 pm "Thanks for being practical Grizz - party pooper. I do have the set up I'm looking for and am on to the next set up I'm looking for, just before I begin the next one. Eye-Haw!"

Yeah - I realized that it has gotten so bad that ON THE WAY HOME FROM THE GUN SHOP I'm already planning what my next 'need' is..... :lol:
so bad that I wait until hunting season to go to the gun store !