The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup I got stuff deleted, bit more involved to can them but I got if figgered out!

Hmm small powder charges for the Blackhawk- intrigue abounds!

Watching the 9/11 memorial on Fox. I still think our retaliation should have been more!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny......you won!!!!! I tell ya, I have the unfortunate fortune of being the last on a page and then zoooooooooommmmmm, you run in and become number 1 on a fresh page......And I thought I was number ONE......even have a handle for it!!!

So......that means you win Tom Fordwannabe's 1966 Mustang....yep, he presently working on it but as soon as the fresh coat of paint comes on it, he will have it shipped to ya via enclosed car trailer.

Guess that means you can take all of your previous winnings and throw em in the dumpster as we have a new pile to pick from.

Oh boy! Christmas everyday as my mom used to say. She always said that if you plan your life right, you can have Christmas every day. Well....gotta go...presents to open up!---------6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Tom can keep his Mustang- I WANT HIS 25-20 !!!! :lol:

Well quarterly taxes are due, trying to get in touch with my accountant to see how much I gotta send in...

I gotta find a real job, I'm tired of this racket!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK...here's the plan.......you want the 25-20.....NO PROBLEM....there's a guy in Maine that wears a big coat...I'll have him get it for ya.

That must really suck having to send in money to the government .....just so you can be a citizen.....sooooooo many bums live off th government without contributing anything when many of them CAN. I have a relative who's been on disability since he was in his twenties but every year from sept-Jan., he's in a tree stand deer hunting and dragging them out a quarter mile. Hang in there, when you get my age you can reap the fruits of your labor from your whole life and it's free from there on in.....we get four checks a month (direct deposit) for doing nuttin'.

Well...the Jeep passed inspection......I threw the mechanic a Jackson.....they remember you better that way. -----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Passing inspection is always a good thing!
Here anything over 6000 GVW is self inspection- my diesel falls under self inspection. New truck has a 4 year inspection but my lease is 3 years so not my problem! !

Oh and not only do I have to pay quarterly but I pay DOUBLE since there isn't any SS taken out of what I make.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

dang Gunny.....double! Man! That hurt me over a hundred miles away. I did do some smart choices when I was young. Real estate taxes are base on finished sq. footage.......back in the late sixties--seventies, my inlaws were building small mansions, I had a simple rancher built. Today, they are always complaining about their 5-8k tax bill while mine runs a hair over 3.

Sometimes it pays to have a little 1000 sq. foot cottage with lots of land and just live in that.....most all,of your money that comes in is yours...low taxes, low maintenance equals giving the finger to the tax people who just give it away to bums. I know a few guys who live in house trailers but even they have more bills than me...lot rent, water and sewage bills..trash pick up and then every time a storm comes they have to go to some kind of a shelter not knowing if they are coming back to anything.

Well.....fired up the Stihl and cut enough to,keep,the splitter working for a day.

Hey...the other day I found a new chain saw blade in the packaging.....made by Oregon....Model D60.....16"....say on it that's it's made for homelite and other brands. You have a use for it? Some day we will get together for a swap of some sort.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

So, I have this cheapie ATI 1911 Commander. It runs like a champ and is quite tight and accurate.
Problem is, it shoots low. I can tolerate a pistol shooting high, but not low. I heard the rear dovetail on these pistols isn't standard. I didn't want to put money in it, so I ran over to my buddies shop and just milled off the front sight. Free fixes are best.
While I was there, I snagged a nice 92/94 SRC stock for 40 bucks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

If the chain is the same drive link size, .325 or 3/8 as your new saw use it. Just count the number of drive links on each chain and you'll know. I dont have a 16" saw so it wont do me any good, thanks though!
We should really try to hit a gun show this fall/winter, I'm sure Tom would join us as well!
See that's why everyone should have a milling machine! How much did you take off?

Been perusing Monster.com lots of jobs out there I'm NOT qualified for! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wow....I go outside and split another 3/4 of a cord...sweating like crazy.....(hot and humid).....come in and here's Jay on the mill and Gunny doing aaahhhh...whatever Gunny does.

My battery saw is 14" and the new Stihl is an 18" and if I ever buy another it going to be an 18" er ....I like that length......more bite for the big logs and not as unwieldy as a 20". I sawed two logs today where I had to go around the other side...big mamas about 2'......ok, it's here if you, Jay or Tom wants it. Old Savage is a shirt and tie guy and they don't get their hands dirty in the resort he lives in so he wont need it. :D

Jay......I'm the other way around.......I can deal with a low shooting gun as it's a no brainer to file down the sight but I don't want to use a nub ...one that shoots high is a major pita if you have a fixed/welded front sight. I've built them up with PC-7 and they held for years. Looks like you did a top notch job on the mill......just saying here...just saying......no disrespect....wouldn't it be easier to leave the higher front sight on and put a higher rear dovetail sight on.....maybe I'm missing something.....is your rear sight on a dovetail?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It absolutely would. And I would have done just that......but like I said above, I've heard the rear dovetail on these pistols aren't standard. When a new rear is tried, they are loose. Most are milling the slide for a Novak.
The sights are fairly useable, so I figured this was the easiest route.......for now.

Gunny,
I took about .050 off. Should do it. Maybe .010 more, but I'm gonna try it first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

50 thou! That much all at once seems a bit much... But not knowing how low it was to begin with seems like a lot. I've always done sight mods at the range with a file. That way ya file- shoot a group - file and so on until it's where ya want it. Well if ya took too much then it's time for after markets.

I've got a 14" saw and 4 20" saws. I'd rather have a 20" and know I can get through bigger trees than have to struggle through. But it's not like I'm cutting every day so 20" is good enough. Of course there is always the option to get a shorter bar for daily use .
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yup. It is a lot. Thats why I milled it. Too hard to file that much and keep it straight and with a sharp edge.
It was about 4 inches low at 12 yards.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

OldWin wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:13 am Yup. It is a lot. Thats why I milled it. Too hard to file that much and keep it straight and with a sharp edge.
It was about 4 inches low at 12 yards.
The very first thing we had to do in Bench Metal was make a polishing rod. 1/4" diameter drill rod, it had to be filed flat & square on both ends and brought to a certain OAL +/- .010 - all with files! Then a slot cut along its length ( 1&1/2" to hold emory cloth)after a blob of brass was brazed to the end- that cut had to be STRAIGHT, done by hacksaw. Cutting a front sight is a cinch!
Second project was the same except for a T handle silver soldiered into a U notch filed into the end, again flat & square.
The T handled one is for polishing chambers when cutting chambers. The other for drill press/mill use.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh, no question, you can do a lot by hand. First thing we did when I was in school was file a square block.
When I was a tool an cutter grinder, we used to radius angled slab mills by hand with a pencil grinder. They hired a "consultant" one time who proclaimed it was impossible. We did one while he watched, shaking his head. Then we put it on the comparator at 60x an his jaw dropped.
Sadly, being in inspection for the last 5 years, I don't do it every day now. It was easier to mill it. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hate that- a machine makes all the difference!! A file and smoke lamp , little bit of elbow grease and POOF ya got a working thingamajig!

Well I have a phone interview tomorrow, company makes machines for graphic art stuff, looking for machine operators. I applied this morning !
Just talked to my accountant, seems I overpaid so far so I dont need to send anything more -whew!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well....you guys talk about school......when I was in my last year of school. I learned my abc's. I asked the teach to learn me how to read and write "Colt" and "Winchester".---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Reading and writing Colt & Winchester are one thing but being able to make one well that's a whole nuther story!

Gatorade ! This hot humid weather really takes it out of ya!

Hmm seems whoever was assembling drive shafts for the Jeep Gladiator skipped a very important step! Seems they didnt install any grease in the u-joints !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

For real? Made in Mexico? :D ---6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well fellows not your skill but the left side of the grip safety wanted to take some skin off my thumb so I relieved it with a file and ceramic rod, no more problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well Fred...I'd say you did a fine job......just enough to make it comfortable.......even the pros, like Gunny would have done the same. What is that 1911? Didn't know you had that or wasn't paying attention.

Well, sure are getting a lot of laughs watching the dem debate......they are planning things that are totally unobtainable and would bankrupt Fort Knox. E gads,,,there's actually people who believe it...Medicare for all? Buy back the tens of millions of salt weapons? Open borders for anyone who wants to come here along with free health care for em?

Can't wait to see the looks on their faces come Nov. 2020.----6
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Springfield, military lookalike. Upgraded sights, Wilson Combat fixed, group gripper with tungsten guide rod. 5,000 rds through it. King's fancy walnut grips.

Pretty sure you have seen it.

One shot 47 yds . . Good sense not to shoot a second ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Listening to these idiots I might as well give Gunny my mustang AND my 25-20 at least he will appreciate them.
Since I have known him ol Six has said that good guns find people who appreciate them. Weeelllll yesterday I took an unusual firearm(a Fiala pistol) to the local gunshop to show it to the young gunsmith as he likes the unusual stuff. I walk in the door and he smiles and said “ just the man I was looking for”. I denied having known her, or being involved, or having any knowledge of whatever he wanted to see me about.
He said he had something to show me but didn’t have my number. He went behind the partition and returned with most of a Marlin 1894 in 25/20 made in 1906. Upon further inspection it is a takedown with half mag and...OH Yeah Hale round half octagon barrel. He says the guy has all the parts( nobody has ALL the parts when they think they do). He thinks it will be very reasonably priced. We will see about that. Yes Gunny if I am not in a position to beg borrow or steal the money, I will let you know.
He then comes out with the other gun. He says it’s a Winchester model 1894. Weeelll that was a very small 94 so small in fact it lost two numbers😳. It was a model 1892 SRC made in 1922 in 32wcf.
Man you never know what you are gonna find.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Fred....I would have stopped after that first shot too......that don't happen too often with regular guys like us....ok, I remember now......your 1911.

Tom is on a roll, like I was back in the eighties and nineties, then deliberately slowed down to be more selective as the safes were getting packed. ANOTHER 25-20 takedown??!!!???!!! When Gunny gets up in the am, he's gonna be on the tele looking you up.

Parts are easy to find, except maybe takedown extensions, original barrels and the like.---6

Fiala pistol? WTF is that garbage? :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Fiala was a famous explorer even went to Africa on Teddy Roosevelt’s expedition. He was planning a polar expedition and was convinced a true semi auto 22 of the day would not function in Arctic conditions. He had discussions with a designer and made a manually operated clip fed 22 pistol that looks for all the world like a cross between a Colt woodsman and the High Standard semi auto line such as the model A and B series. The guy who designed the Fiala also designed the High Standard line hence the family resemblance.This gun was given to me by a lgs because no matter what he did with it, he couldn’t get it to shoot semi auto. He had no clue, nor did I until I did about a years worth of research and digging.
On another note, today on Marlin owners another fellow posted a picture of his Marlin 35 Remington without a loading gate but has a tube feed with a loading slot like a Henry and it is a documented prototype. Hmmm getting closer to provenance of my rifle.
A couple good days, and still put in 21 hours of OT so far this week.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Ok.....a manual semi auto...makes sense.....just put on a heavy duty recoil spring. That'll keep,it from blowing back.

Another non loading gate 336???!!!! Interesting. -------6
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

No recoil spring. It cocks on pushing the slide closed and locks in place. You must depress a lever on the side to release the slide and extract the fired case and load the next one. The guy from forgotten weapons on YouTube did a feature on them. He displayed the early model which came with a thumbscrew and three barrel set. Had a 4, 6, and a16 or 18 inch barrel and some had a detachable shoulder stock. Mine is very late production and has a pinned 6 inch barrel.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well now !
OS is smiffin, looks like you solved your hammer bite! I always get bit unless there is a full beaver tail! Kinda why I like my G23 so much.

Tom finding another perfect camp rifle! Ok now I'm jealous! :D Please keep us ( ME) in the loop!

No I did not watch the morons, makes my skin crawl thinking about what that pack of nitwits are capable of doing to this country! You want to TAKE our ARs & AKs ? There are gonna be a lot of dead dumbocrat gun grabbers! Fox News is picking the jack wagons apart this morning, geeze Biden is dumb.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well the phone interview went well! The call was about 40 minutes late in coming but the woman I spoke to spoke to her boss and within minutes called me back to ask me to come in Monday morning!

Finally the remainder of my Ballistic products order showed up! Finally got sick of terrible crimps with my 410 reloads. Fed Ex dropped off the overshot cards- what nice reloads now! I'm just crazy enough that I'm going to try the 410 at the next ZZ bird shoot!
20190913_142434-600x800.jpg
I did find the MEC 11/16 bar does NOT drop 11/16 oz of 7narfs! But it's much closer with 8s... now to contact MEC and see what they say!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny..Well you got that right if they try to confiscate anything I have ...THEY ARE MINE AND WERE BOUGHT LEGALLY.

What's the details of this job...you say machine operator.? Well, I'll have you know I'm qualified to operate a broom, crow bar, pinball and a rubber machine.

Hey....you have a need for these? A bag full of .410 cardboard wads...they mike about .420.---6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Mostly a lathe but this company also assembles the machines they produce so I could also be doing assembly? Gotta wait and see!

Suppose I could find a use for those fiber wads, maybe in buckshot loads...?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

OK, I'll rob about a hundred and put your name on the bag. Got my neck cracked three times today .....good ole Doc John....

-------6. Feels good to feel good.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yup I just got to the chiropractor myself! I swear I can actually SEE better after getting adjusted!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny...you right.....you can see better.....this guy explained to me how the anatomy is on a human and if vertebrae are out of place, it affects a lot. I really owe it all to Old Savage as he explained it all to me very well and gave me the encouragement to go......and just like my luck is, the chiropractor is a full fledged gun guy and life NRA......today we were discussing 44 cal. 300 gr.jacketed Barnes bullets for the mag.....it's what he likes...I like cast...I shoot more! :) ----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well I ran up to range today to try my sight "adjustment" on the Commander. Was having a crappy day, and it's close, so I'm going to leave it and shoot it a while.
Ran into an old buddy there. Old Nam vet. Quite a character. I bought my first 73 from him many years ago.
Did way more talking than shooting. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah my old chiropractor was an olympic class pistol shooter! He competed in the 68 Mexico games. My new Doc has become a good friend, he hunts & fish's too.

Close? How close? Are you going to try different loads or just do a file job to bring it in?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There are nerves that come down through the brain stem and spinal cord and exit the spine in the mid back. From there they go back up to a ganglion outside the spine, think nerve switching station. That ganglion throws off some fibers that go to the muscles that focus the eyes.

Friend of mine had a woman who was legally blind and got her drivers license back. He also had an Air Force pilot get back on flight status after being visually restricted.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well there, I learned something today!! I still say that chiropractic treatment is better and more beneficial than some drug pushing MD! That's why I get adjusted weekly and only go to those quacks only when I absolutely have to!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Well, it was on at 12 yards with 230 ball. Like I said, I was having a bad day so I'm not going to move it till I run a bunch through it and be sure.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's a good start! Bet it's still quite low at 25. Good thing is you didnt take too much off!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

12 yards? That might be good enough to hit an old buffalo coat.......as good as you are with a milling machine why don't you mill it flat down to the slide and install a red or white thingy on there.

Fred.........I feel pretty good today after the adjustment. He cracked my neck three times....little scary as this guy was a power lifter at one time and has pictures of him and Arnold in his office.....he could snap my neck with little trouble.....when he tells me to "relax", right before the big "push" and turns my head, I feel like my life is in his hands. :D I tend to tense up and he says, "Jack, relax!" I say , "ok" while I'm looking at his 20 some inch biceps.----6

Well, last levergun silhouette match of the season tomorrow.....gonna use the case colored model 39 in .22 for smallbore and an 1873 in 44 that was made in 1887. Fun day on the horizon.

I love showing this stuff off. Really swells my head. :D original from 1939. No Tom! You can't have it!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Dibs- I CALL. D I B S on the 39!!
That is a very pretty rifle!
Hope you do great tomorrow! I'm taking the weekend off, next week is a 2 day match.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Jack relax, 😜 familiar with that.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Wet myself watching Fox News make fun of the Dems during the debate...Trump calls Bernie crazy for a reason....Beto .....who is Beto? Then the chink is offering a grand a month......Fidel Castro and Biden going at it....Cory booker all bug eyed ......they are really making fun of all of them..you know, I bet I could work for fox...I like doing the same thing. :D----6

Well, gotta get to bed early..the big match tomorrow. Tomorrow I'll probably laugh at the guys who use foreign guns....mmmm, no, we don't allow them.--6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey!.....lookee what I found......Oct. 12, 2014....me and Jay down at Targetmaster.....and of course, Ole Yeller.---6

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I saw a TJ ( square head lights) for sale. Looked very clean from both sides as I passed it. White body and hard top. Had a FOR SALE sign but I didn't have time to stop and look it over, not that I need a project at the time!

Was that the last time Old Yeller was on the road?

Oh great Iran has attacked a Saudi refinery!
N
U
K
E
Iran
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha I remember that day! Great time. My son took the picture. Your buddy has n impressive shop. You gotta get Old Yeller going, buddy. Good winter project.

Gunny,
If it had square lights, it's a YJ, like Yeller. They were produced from 87 to 95.
The TJ went back to round lights. Has the front parks in the fronts of the fenders and was the first four link coiler. They were made from 97 till 06.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's right, YJ! Geeze how could I forget that? Oh that's right we only use 10% of our brians :lol: . I should go look at it just for kicks! My luck it's a 4 cylinder and the Peugeot transmission, slips outta gear all the time and needs a new rear! And I'm sure the guy has a $ that's 4 times more than it's worth!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha you definitely got a handle on it, buddy.
The first couple years are kinda wonky.
Later, they went to the AX15 behind the six.
I'm not totally against the 2.5. The biggest handicap is on the road. For trail use, it works fine. 4Hi is kind of useless, however.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think my Polaris Ranger has more HP than that 2.5L ! Sure it's fine for how the majority of Jeep drivers use a Jeep but what were they thinking ? Cant spin big tires, not enough torque for serious off roading...
But I wont know unless I go look at it!!!

Yum- the house is starting to smell good, I got a dutch oven full of rice pudding bubbling away in the oven!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

IDK Gunny.
Old Red is a four banger, and I wheel with some guys that run em. I've been in some pretty tough sleddin' with them.
Now, I will say, if your idea of wheeling is big mud, I agree you should pass. Especially if your trying to roll a set of 38 Swamper TSL's on steelies. :D