Some Scenes From Mozambique, Africa

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

Some Scenes From Mozambique, Africa

Post by JimT »

These are different areas we traveled over the years in Cabo Delgado Province, Nampula Province and Niassa Province in northern Mozambique.
village3.jpg
7 bridge3.JPG
100_0123.JPG
100_0608.JPG
10151365_10151969011122274_331219525_n.jpg
bushcamp2.jpg
DSC00522.JPG
DSC00548.JPG
DSC03658.JPG
DSC03658.JPG
DSC03766.JPG
DSC05047.JPG
roadsign.jpg
trip1.JPG
village5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Some Scenes From Mozambique, Africa

Post by piller »

Looks like it is tough to live there. It is amazing where humans can live.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great pictures Jim. I really like the "Elephant crossing sign" !! What kind of tree is that in picture # 4 ? if that one could talk!. Thank You for the post :D .
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

.45colt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:10 am Great pictures Jim. I really like the "Elephant crossing sign" !! What kind of tree is that in picture # 4 ? if that one could talk!. Thank You for the post :D .

It's a Baobab Tree. They are slow growing and live to be quite old ..some are from around the time of Christ.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:19 pm Looks like it is tough to live there. It is amazing where humans can live.
To me it feels like America in the late 1700's and early 1800's. I loved our life there. I enjoyed the people and loved the wild country.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Thanks. It helps to keep "Africa" from being a figure on a map.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

JimT wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:53 am
piller wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:19 pm Looks like it is tough to live there. It is amazing where humans can live.
To me it feels like America in the late 1700's and early 1800's. I loved our life there. I enjoyed the people and loved the wild country.
It does look wild. There certainly are times when the simple life is the best. It usually fosters a sense of community and that can bring out the best in people. Those of us who live in American cities with much more than we need are all too often oblivious to how truly blessed that we are.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

What are the holes in the caprock in the picture with the red truck? Natural features or man-made? At first I thought they were bomb or shell holes (not impossible in Mozambique, I think) but in the enlargement they don't look like that.

Thanks for posting--nice to see that the entire planet isn't a parking lot!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Mike Armstrong wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:37 pm What are the holes in the caprock in the picture with the red truck? Natural features or man-made? At first I thought they were bomb or shell holes (not impossible in Mozambique, I think) but in the enlargement they don't look like that.

Thanks for posting--nice to see that the entire planet isn't a parking lot!
The holes are natural in a huge rock outcrop that the road goes over. They hold water and critters of all types can be found there around the clock, especially during the dry season. Some are big enough you can go swimming in them. Some are about the diameter of a 5 gallon bucket but may be 4 to 6 feet deep. Every time I have been through there we always saw wildlife. Most of it would just stare at you unless you stopped. If you stopped they moved.
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Neat! I've seen similar formations in the desert in Eastern CA (US), and in the Vizcaino Desert in Baja del Sur (MX). Always magnets for desert animals--and people. One reason I carry water purification pills in my survival kit.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Looks peaceful there. What do they do for a living? Thanks for the post!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

claybob86 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:20 am Looks peaceful there. What do they do for a living? Thanks for the post!
For a large percentage of the population, they work at surviving. In the bush they raise what they can. Unless they are near a good water source, the long dry season makes crop growing difficult. As I said earlier, life there (especially in the bush) reminds me of how our forefathers lived and survived.

More and more of the population are able to go to school now, and that is helping. But finding a job can be nearly impossible. We are training students to use computers. They learn to type, do word processing, spread sheet and data base, and power point. We have graduated several hundred so far and some of them have been able to find work in doctors offices, office work for large companies and at resorts. But job opportunities are limited. The nation is at a point where things could vastly improve ... or not.

I am hoping to return to Mozambique this next year in time for graduation at the Computer Center.