German Stalking Rifle (JG Anschutz) in 8.15x46R

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

German Stalking Rifle (JG Anschutz) in 8.15x46R

Post by Old No7 »

Well gang, this does have a lever...

But is very different than what you typically see here...

This is a single-shot German "Stalking Rifle" of falling block configuration (similar to a High Wall) chambered in the very accurate 8.15x46R Schuetzen/Target round once popular in Germany. While I have not ID'd the exact model yet, one of the images clearly shows the "J G A" (Anschutz) marking that was in use after the turn of the century, so it comes from a great maker. It has Nitro proofs, but the date of the proof was removed when a hanger to better fit the forearm to the barrel was added many years ago. It has a 30.125" barrel with set triggers and a tang safety, and the barrel flat is marked "Fr. Oberbigler Neuotting" which I believe was the original owner's name.

[edited to add]
Turns out I was wrong on that guess...
A member of the GGCA told me it was made by: "Franz Xaver Oberbiegler, Büchsenmacher, {gunsmith) in Neuotting"

I need to get it out to the range soon, but it cleaned up really well and I also just completed a repair to the safety (adding a new spring/slider under the tang that locks it in/out of safe). If it shoots as well as I hope it does, I'm now thinking of using this from my tree stand this fall; and if I bag a deer with it, then I'd qualify for a "St. Hubertus" award from the GGCA (German Gun Collectors Association).

This is my third old German gun picked up over the last couple of years -- but luckily, I still have more leverguns.

Waidmannsheil!

Old No7

JGA Stalking Rifle (1) (Small).jpeg
JGA Stalking Rifle (2) (Small).jpeg
JGA Stalking Rifle (3) (Small).jpeg
JGA Stalking Rifle (4) (Small).jpeg
JGA Stalking Rifle (5) (Small).jpeg
JGA Stalking Rifle (6) (Small).jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Re: German Stalking Rifle (JG Anschutz) in 8.15x46R

Post by barbarossa »

I love german guns as well,here's my stalking rifle a frelach 95 steyr sporting rifle in 7x57r

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

barbarossa wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:30 am I love german guns as well,here's my stalking rifle a frelach 95 steyr sporting rifle in 7x57r
Wow, wunderbar! I like the "acorn" on the bolt handle, and that caliber is a classic too!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice and Nice!
Those are both great pieces of true art!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Another one of my favourite deer stalking rifles is my Ruger no 1 in 303 british.This gun has some real fancy grain in the stock and I added one of the Express type rear sights Ruger puts on their craig Boddington series of rifles.Ireally like this sight compared to the original folding leaf sight as it gives you that quick sight picture and as most of my deer hunting is done up close t is perfect for my needs
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:29 am Nice and Nice!
Those are both great pieces of true art!
+1 always nice to see something a little different... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:19 pm +1 always nice to see something a little different... 8)
Thanks John.

I was just advised (on another forum) that this is a "very rare Nimrod" single-shot action; and it appears to be even more rare to have one with the Anschutz maker's mark on the receiver. The action (not mine) is shown in one of the Tom Rowe (et al) "Alte Scheibenwaffen" series of German Schuetzen/Target rifle books -- which I had checked, but obviously I'd missed that page...

I also found out that the gunsmith who made this gun was "1st Marksman" in the Neuotting (Germany) Schuetzen organization (die Königlich Privilegierte Feuerschützengesellschaft 1407 Neuötting) from 1929-32, so my gun was most likely made in that era. That Schuetzen group's history as shooters dates back to 1407 for civil defense.  Wow...

I hope I can honor the history of the gunsmith and the rifle and take some game with it.

Old No7
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

All it needs now is to take a rasp to that stock and get rid of the painful looking hump and a 3 foot long 24 power scope and then you’ll have a winner.😂 Kidding just kidding.
Very beautiful example of craftsmanship.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Quote.
I hope I can honor the history of the gunsmith and the rifle and take some game with it.

That's a great idea Darryl, I bet the meat will taste special too !
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

wow ! both of those are just great...beautiful and very appealing !!
cable
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those rifles are amazing examples of art and utility blended into one unit. Wow!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Darryl, congratulations on a spectacular rifle in one of the most classic European calibers. I had the chance to buy an Aydt schuetzen rifle in that caliber 20 years ago and foolishly passed. Have often thought of it.
Let us see your loads and tell us how she shoots. 8)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Gorgeous find Darryl! :mrgreen:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Absolutely stunning 8) .
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!