The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: The Gun Room

Post by Griff »

I was in movie once... as the cameraman!
making movie.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Look pretty professional Griff!

Just got home from a benefit for a buddy (another buddy) that was in a bike accident.
Lots of "patches" there, but a good time with a lot of friends.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Jay Bird

The Winners Circle

Post by Jay Bird »

Patches? I know a few of those guys...two of em are dead, a few in the big house and one that should be dead. How is your buddy doing?.......my heart goes out to a guy who is that busted up.

Dang Griff....you look mighty sharp in that pic....what kind of a movie?

Well, I WAS tied for Match Winner today...three guys had the same top score so we had a sudden death shoot off.......I was the first one out so that put me in 2nd place. Then......then.......we had the "200 meter challenge". The guys who think "they have it" put in $5 and it's sudden death on the 200 meter ram....offhand...open sights.... Well, two rounds went by with nobody hitting it and on the third round my 629 with 20 grains of 2400 and a 260 Saeco Keith.....(the other guys all use jacketed bullets) that 200 meter ram dropped like a sack of potatoes......I won the pot...not much.... $30....I hollared to the match director, "give it to the target setters". A couple of happy kids. Now here's the kicker...

I thought I was sitting an example and when the next group came up....the scoped class.....the winner of that discipline happily pocketed the money, on his way to his $50K pick up dancing.------yea, no matter where you go or are, there's a coward in every group.---6

The early nickel 29 p&r was my "back up" gun. :D

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

He is back in the hospital, so couldn't make it to the benefit. He is still better than my other friend. Last I heard, he had brain fluid leaking out his nose. Sucks.

Great job! Glad you had a good day. There us no better feeling than shooting well.
Good on you for giving the money to the setters. I've met you and stood in your gun room. I know that's the kind of guy you are, Jack. Stay cool, buddy.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good on yer six........ 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice shooting & good on ya! Yeah there are some real jerks out there. How many rounds of full house loads does one of these matches take? Not counting the shoot off.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Thanks guys......it's really no biggie as it's a $70 day anyway, between gas, food, entry fee, ammo, tips for the setters,.etc...these kids really hustle....the club pays them $80 each plus tips and if 25 shooters put up 5-10 bucks they easily make $150 a piece for the day. Some matches require 3 to 4 setters but there are sometimes 35 or more shooters so the money rolls....don't see any cheap guys.....you know, people talk and no one ever says, "that guy never tips the setters"....the money goes in a big box.

Gunny....this is a 40 shot match and we practice for at least an hour burning up 30-60 rds depending on how well your gun is sighted in and how much practice you need. For the match, I use a light load for the first three animals....7.5 of 231 and a 210 gr Hensley and Gibbs sized .431. For the 80 lb rams I use a 260 Saeco Keith with 9 gr. of Unique...a mid range load...you GOT to know your gun and points of impact. HAS to be accurate as offhand shooting will diminish the accuracy from human error as NOBODY can hold perfectly still.

In practice, I almost always only shoot 15-20 rounds ONLY......sometimes less, like 10. Over practicing will tire your eyes and a flinch will develop along with a loss of focus.

The 200 meter challenge requires a stout load...as stated earlier I use full power 44 magnum...the more powerful, the less likely of a miss due to a flatter trajectory.....I've seen guys who use sissy loads on the long range targets and sometimes the bullet will glide over the animal and hit behind it...I mean right behind it like an artillery round. I believe I shot about 60 rounds today.----6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That explains it! I didn't zoom in on your score card so I wasn't sure what was involved. So it's 2 banks of 5 for all 4 animals? I can see front sight control is where it's at! Ya done good!

Muscle soreness this morning... I need a masseuse on staff :D .
Ah the coffee is done, the girls are all chewing on bones, sure wish I lived closer to the club...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I gotta get to work loading and shooting. They drew the doe permits last week and we ALL got one. Wife, kids, the old man, and me.
I love this time of year, but it's so busy you don't get to enjoy it.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny.....my score was pitiful...I got lucky because everyone else shot bad and most likely was due to bright sunshine. It's hard to see the front sight when the sun is bright and I "blacken" my front sight. I should be around 28-32. High scores are on overcast days.

Yep, two banks of 5 for each animal. Two classes...open sights and scope....I shoot open sights as I don't believe a handgun should have a scope of any kind on it.

Gunny....you have muscle soreness? You want the best message available? I train my cats and little dogs to get on my back when I'm laying on the bed on my stomach. I put little treats up by my neck and they will stay there for hours, moving their little feet. I'm usually asleep in 10 minutes.

Jay...you wanna shoot does? Come on down....I can count about 10 every evening out back. On the way to the gunclub..27 miles.....it's mostly all back roads and a driver needs to keep his speed down as about every 5 miles deer are lurking by the side of the road.

Gonna clean guns, load ammo, sort brass and maybe split wood.----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah. It ain't like that up here. Having a doe permit makes your odds of having meat in the freezer way better.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

In the shotgun only counties (where I live) there is no limit. Only thing that is needed is a permit for each one harvested. While I don't agree to the next statement, well, it's law.....you can BAIT em, use cross bows with scopes, about any kind of a shotgun, semi or whatever.....the insurance companies push this as drunks will hit a telephone pole and say a deer ran out in front of them.---6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Only thing you can't use here is a .22LR.
For the most part, it's a one deer a year proposition here.
There are a few bonus tags for archery or expanded archery.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

And up where Jay is there aren’t many deer but they are BIG
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Heck come on down- here we can shoot 2 at a time for six months! Yup 2 at a time during bow, muzzleloader and shotgun seasons. Bow starts this weekend and it goes non stop until mid February except for Christmas day. I used to go nuts deer hunting, few years ago I shot 16 or 18 deer, I was going broke paying the butcher, no freezer space and was giving carcasses away. Then the herd crashed from 2 back to back bad winters. Now I just shoot a couple and call it good.

Oh and I shot like... well i can't say! I realized that my gun mount is far from consistent, started to really concentrate on that and my scores started to climb. I've got some work to do!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey....the GREATEST here! Just had some fun......on the border line between my neighbor and me there's this wet spot that still lingering from the spring. Grass is about 2' tall....well, USED to be 2'. I guess this spot is about 40' x 25'.

I was out feeding Stonewall and noticed my neighbor had his John Deere lawn tractor stuck to the axles in that wet spot. I walked over and said, "you just couldn't wait another two weeks, could you?" ....as it was starting to dry up. He says he thought he could get through it.......well, it looked so bad from the mess he made so I fired up the Kubota, put it in 4 w.d.low range.....cut it all out of there. Yea.....looks like a Jeep mud hole now..ruts all over.......had to powerwash the Kubota...but you know, I had FUN!

I was laughing like heck, pretending I was Jay in a mud hole.

Well, got to get cleaned up and get ready for work tomorrow....OOOOOOOoooooooo...wait, I don't work. :D ----6
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sure......rub it in. I just got to work. :cry:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Here I sit at The Farm, this place used to belong to good friends, now belongs to different friends. Just finished my lunch and should go wrap up some tools and head down the road but it's peaceful and the old memories just keep coming- like the one 4th of July when John lit a couple mortars, first one went off knocking the other over, second one goes off and hits his brother square in the jaw knocking him flat but boy did he bounce up and high tail it before that shell went off! If it hadn't of hit Joe it probably would have gone into the barn and set off our pile of goodies!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well...it's Monday and all of the good people of the world are at work.......

I want to be the first to inform you guys that a righteous and honorable member of the "Gun Room" will soon be divulging exciting news on a most interesting and very hard to get Ruger Blackhawk........we will let him do the honors.

This Ruger is so desirable I may have to get this guy on a plane....or road trip.....or horseback.....and retrieve it for the Sixgun vault.---6

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny....yea, be careful on those good old memories......they can make you yearn for the unobtainable......I feel it everyday but at the same time, bring a lot of laughs.

Were you guys drinking at the time of the "mishap"? :D ---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh REALLY? Well I cant wait to see this here Blackhawk!

I'm sure there was some beer involved but not enough to make too much of a difference! I know I was sober- never drink when I have to drive . Just ain't worth the chance!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sounds like quite a time, Gunny.

Hey Six, that sure is a sophisticated looking fella in that pic. He must be who you have "go over" all that stuff and make sure it's up to snuff. :D

Yeah, my buddies and I do a lot of reminiscing any time we get together. It's strange, cause most of us are still right where we grew up. Kinda makes time stand still, until you turn on the TV.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yep we drew a lot of blood together, some of it ours! Lots of good times , some bad - but boy did we have a time!

So give us a little insight on this Blackhawk? Curiosity got the cat shot... or something like that :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Jay......let an old head pass on a bit of wisdom........

Throughout our lives we create tons of memories.....and mostly only remember the good ones...thankfully.

When you start getting in your mid fifties you see people you knew dying off....your sixties bring lots of it. From my old neighborhood and the guys I grew up with there's only a small handful left...some died naturally, some died by their own hand, and one guy was murdered in a bar. You start to see your world change, neighbors change, parents die off, bs on politics, and the people being replaced by others you don't care for. Then some others move away to the point where it's hard to have a constant relationship........

Can't imagine what's it like in your seventies/eighties if your so lucky. When my aunt died at 91 I fully expected to see a million people at the funeral as she was a highly educated go getter her whole life.....it was just the immediate family.--6
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I WILL NOT jump into this individual's period of glory......on who it is or what the gun is...let's just say I've never owned one and probably never will as I'm pretty much done buying guns but I will say I have to keep an excellent relationship with the buffalo guy from Maine because I will need him when this Ruger comes home to the buyer. :D ---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok this is getting depressing!
Does anyone remember me rolling my ankle- it sure is sore today!
Saw 2 decent rack bucks today at the farm, not far from one of my stands. Of course I dont deer hunt that hard anymore and I'm sure once the rut starts they're gonna be long gone!

Ok I'll be patient and wait for the grand unveiling of the new blackhawk! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

It's weird, my PARENTS still hang out with their buddies from school. They do stuff almost every week. They all go south for a month in winter together. Most are still here, some in better shape than others. Hope I'm that lucky.
Well! Now I'm getting intrigued about this Ruger! :D
Wow! Two good bucks, Gunny? I'm lucky if I see one all month of the season.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

We have more deer than we know what to do with! Back in the late 80's it was nothing to count 100 shots by 9am on opening day! Some years you would see herds on 20-30 going by at Mach 2! I've hunted in Maine, I was lucky, I saw a doe & fawn!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hmm? Rare Ruger that Six doesn't have???

Well, I bet he doesn't have one of these and don't think they are currently available. .32 Mag But not in the class he describes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Old Savage wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:22 pm Hmm? Rare Ruger that Six doesn't have???

Well, I bet he doesn't have one of these and don't think they are currently available. .32 Mag But not in the class he describes.
I bought one of those, put a box of 32 S&W through it then converted it to the 44 special.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like that .44, read your piece on it. I also have a Stainless 4 3/4".
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Well....I don't have what Old Savage has but.....I have one of the first of these....with adjustable sights. :D ---6

Look at the caliber marking.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'd like to have one of each of the Rugers from the Bearcat up to a SBH. But I'll settle for the special and my 41 mag. I gotta get a 41 mould!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Here I am thinking I'm the only one retired on our gun room post......seems to me the rest of you guys have me snowballed.

Doesn't anyone have a job anymore? I told you guys I expect my check regularly...now....get back to work! :D ---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sixgun jr wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:43 pm Here I am thinking I'm the only one retired on our gun room post......seems to me the rest of you guys have me snowballed.

Doesn't anyone have a job anymore? I told you guys I expect my check regularly...now....get back to work! :D ---6
I DID work today! Only a half day but I cant make the material appear out of thin air- been waiting a week for the folks to get it...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well there Six. In about 89 I had one of those with the short barrel, extremely accurate. That's a good'un. :)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I`m glad to see everyone is behaving themselves in the new Garand thread, God bless ya all.
Nice to see the mods are doing they`ey job. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Hey Pitchy! Good to see ya stop by. :D

So.....I go outside to split a few biggies......these are the kind you have to split in two by hand as they are too heavy to handle,......on about the fifth whack on the wedge with the sledge hammer, the head goes flying off and because I already "cut and refit" twice before the handle was too short.....no problem....out to the barn to my wood stock, brought in a 4' section of oak.......yea, I know hickory/ash is better but oak, cherry, walnut and pine is all I had.....

Now pay attention Gunny...this is a very detailed job....... :D .....ahhh...good for another few years.---6

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nothing bothers me, i`ve delt with it all. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well Hello Pitchy! Nice to see ya! How you been ?

Go easy the Jr, the oak might not like that big hunk of steel coming to a dead stop for too long and shatter. But that's how ya do things on the frontier! Well done.
I've got a 40 yr old Chopper 2, axe head with spring loaded wings on it. Dad broke 2 wood handles before we found a plastic coated fiberglass handle. It's been probably 30 years since I put it on and not a problem since. I still use it but not like the old days!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Anyone that calls me a fat slug needs to learns few lessons, otherwise peace to ya all. :wink:
Because I Can, and Have
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny...remember last year the handle I made for a splitting maul? ...about the same size as a sledge hammer....8 pounds.....I've been using the heck out of that.....I just don't want to pean it hitting metal, therefore the sledge hammer.....I'll wrap it up real good like I did on the maul and if it breaks, well, I'm out of an hours work.

------- :D --------- :D -------6------- :D ------ :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Good idea to wrap it- might keep it from coming apart and slinging splinters into you.

So as I was out of the fenced part of the yard playing fetch with Claro I hear a gawd awful dog noises! Yup there is Parker doing a very good job of chewing through the fence wire! She has so much drive to compete with Claro!! So this morning I'm going to tractor supply and get a hog panel- let's see her chew through 1/4" steel! Of course with my luck she will break teeth!!
Might stop and try to get an oil change too, since the truck is a lease I'm letting the dealer do it so there is record of service. Then I have to go look at a set of stairs, repair or rebuild I don't know yet.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Gunny...how big of an area do you have to fence off?......I keep about a half acre for the dogs and because it borders the pasture, I just use good ole pasture fencing.....little vertical rectangles...maybe 2"x 4" .....4 feet high......even the horse can't chew through it!

Oh well, WAS going to go to the club......nada.....---6
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Parker grabs ahold and pulls ,that breaks the welds. She only does it in one spot, about 20' total. I got 2 pieces of 34"x16' hog panels, cut them to fit and hung them off pipe strap hangers. My theory is she will grab and pull then let go and it will make noise and bang around enough to make her realize that's not a good idea... If that doesn't work then I'll get the fence staples out and make it permanent.

Where is this one of a kind Blackhawk?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:46 am Parker grabs ahold and pulls ,that breaks the welds. She only does it in one spot, about 20' total. I got 2 pieces of 34"x16' hog panels, cut them to fit and hung them off pipe strap hangers. My theory is she will grab and pull then let go and it will make noise and bang around enough to make her realize that's not a good idea... If that doesn't work then I'll get the fence staples out and make it permanent.

Where is this one of a kind Blackhawk?

Mark your calendar.....OCTOBER 4th!!! That's all I will say
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh great! That's 2 days after my 50th so I get it for a present!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ok so how does a guy delete PM's? I dont see a delete button...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Trust me guys that Blackhawk is a thing of beauty and no it isn’t mine but I get to load for it....
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:20 pm Ok so how does a guy delete PM's? I dont see a delete button...
Open up your inbox, select which group of messages you want and they will all come up...scroll down and on the bottom right hand side you will see what you have to do. I usually only keep mine for a week or two, then delete em all. I'll save addresses from my friends and trash the rest. For the most part I've stopped selling stuff here.....people alway whining on a already great buy. My friends know what I have and they can PM me and I'll just give it to them. ---6

Your right Tom.....but I believe the new owner is quite capable of working up a top notch load......
Geeze, as far as I'm concerned, there's only two loads....3 gr. of Bullseye or 5 of Unique with a 115 Lyman