winchester 94 bolt peep

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
b79holmes
Levergunner

winchester 94 bolt peep

Post by b79holmes »

I just learned that early '71's had a bolt peep and see notes on adding them to various 92's.
Is is possible to add one to a 94? Can the bolt be drilled and tapped ?
Would a gunsmith attempt it?

I see a Skinner sight on hickok45 video's and like the idea of that one.

Bill
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: winchester 94 bolt peep

Post by Blaine »

YMMV, but I've never had to switch out a front sight for height reasons with a side mounted peeper.....If I did switch out the front, I used a HiViz.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's a couple of options for mounting a bolt peep sight on a Winchester 94.

1) The top of the rear section of the bolt can D/T'd on the bore c/L to accept a Skinner LoPro peepsight (which can be ordered directly with a 6-48 threaded stem).

A new front sight blade that's about .10" taller then the issue sight would be needed in order to zero the rifle.

http://www.skinnersights.com/lo-pro_sight_7.html

Total outlay, including sights & labor: about $75 (+/-)

2) A repro Winchester 98a bolt peep sight is available, but will need both the aforementioned taller front sight blade, AND the top of the bolt machined to accept it.

http://oldgunsights.com/Inventory.html

Total outlay, including the 98a and a taller front sight: about $450 (+/-), not including bolt machining cost.

Happy shopping...….. :mrgreen:

HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Another option is the XS sight for the 94. The real peep mounts to the reciever but would be in the same position as the 98A sight. Cheaper sight and less gunsmith work to get it installed (two holes to drill and tap unless you have an AE model and it's done factory).
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

HawkCreek wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:41 am...(two holes to drill and tap unless you have an AE model and it's done factory).
Actually all 94s were drilled & tapped for a receiver sight after abt. 1953.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Griff wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:59 pm
HawkCreek wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:41 am...(two holes to drill and tap unless you have an AE model and it's done factory).

With all due respect, a receiver mounted peep sight is not a bolt peep, like the OP desires.

The XS sight also mounts atop the bolt, via D/T 2 holes there ( I used one on a .405 Miroku/Winchester Model 1895 I once had) - but is about twice as bulky as a 98a or a Skinner LoPro.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I bought my 94 about 1957 when I was sixteen years old. Right away I had a williams foolproof peep put on it and a pad for LOP as I was a big tall kid.
The peep is still spot on and I have never had to resight it in. It use`s existing screw holes and I didnt have to drill & tap more.

https://i.postimg.cc/4N6Mr90x/Win-94-2359216.jpg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:56 pm
Griff wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:59 pm
With all due respect, a receiver mounted peep sight is not a bolt peep, like the OP desires.
The XS sight also mounts atop the bolt, via D/T 2 holes there ( I used one on a .405 Miroku/Winchester Model 1895 I once had) - but is about twice as bulky as a 98a or a Skinner LoPro.
Aye, knew that, guess I read the comment I was quoting wrong. On that note, were all the 94AE drilled & tapped on top of the receiver (near the locking lug), or just the later ones? And were any of the 94AEs drilled & tapped for a bolt peep?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Griff wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:00 pm
were all the 94AE drilled & tapped on top of the receiver (near the locking lug), or just the later ones ?

And were any of the 94AEs drilled & tapped for a bolt peep ?

None were ever factory-prepped for a bolt top peepsight.

All Model 94AE's were, however, factory prepped topside for scope mount (or peepsight) bases.

The rear two D&T'd prep holes were atop the rear of each receiver sidewall, near the locking lug - these will take either a scope mount base that straddles the bolt, or a receiver sight with a base that does the same- like the Williams 5D-94SE or FP-94SE

All 94AE's were also prepped likewise with two D&T holes atop the front/receiver ring

but

On early 94AE's, the two forward holes were side-to-side, with the two screws at a slight angle to each other, requiring a special base.

On later 94AE's, the two forward holes were inline, directly above the bore C/L.

I've had both variations, and IME the screw orientation makes no difference, except that the early type base is a little hard (but not impossible) to find, should one be needed.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks Pete, always fun to learn stuff!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

b79holmes wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:01 pm I just learned that early '71's had a bolt peep and see notes on adding them to various 92's.
Is is possible to add one to a 94? Can the bolt be drilled and tapped ?
Would a gunsmith attempt it?

I see a Skinner sight on hickok45 video's and like the idea of that one.

Bill
At one time I had a Win 94 breech bolt with a factory mounted peep sight. I ended up selling it to a forum member years ago.
Th sight did not mount to the top with screws like most do but was held in by the same pin that holds the extractor in. There were some other machining done to the top of the bolt as well. I don't have a pic of the disassembled bolt, but here are some pics of it. ( I would have posted the sooner, but it took me a while to find them. )
Win 94 Bolt_sight d.jpg
Win 94 Bolt_sight c.jpg
Win 94 Bolt_sight b.jpg
Win 94 Bolt_sight f.jpg
Hope this helps some.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Having had both of my Winchester 71s apart to move the bolt peep from one to the other, I would not choose that method of mounting a peep sight 1st.
The rifles have to be broken waaayy down to get to all the necessary parts.

My trapper 94AE has a Williams receiver peep that I attched using the back two scope mounting holes. Works great.

D&T ing the two holes in the side of the receiver to mount a traditional receiver sight is easy-peasy compared to an original-style bolt peep.
Mounting a Skinner to the bolt would be simple enough. But I'd rather have that peep mounted to a non-moving part.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

Not any gun store in Shreveport, LA had the scope base for the early AE and I called Winchester and they sold the correct one to me. They had them in stock but that has been many years ago.

busa
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

"Mounting a Skinner to the bolt would be simple enough. But I'd rather have that peep mounted to a non-moving part."

I don't know what kind of Skinner sight you have, but mine is mounted right on top of the receiver, not on any moving bolt. MY 94 is a 80's Ranger, the 2 holes already drilled and tapped.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

veeman wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:04 pm "Mounting a Skinner to the bolt would be simple enough. But I'd rather have that peep mounted to a non-moving part."

I don't know what kind of Skinner sight you have, but mine is mounted right on top of the receiver, not on any moving bolt. MY 94 is a 80's Ranger, the 2 holes already drilled and tapped.
You can mount it wherever you want to, if you've got the bit, tap and mettle. But why?
I've got a few Skinner sights. I'd like them better if he didn't put that rough looking lettering on every one. He wants you to pay extra to leave it off.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

J Miller wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:32 pm
At one time I had a Win 94 breech bolt with a factory mounted peep sight.

The sight did not mount to the top with screws like most do but was held in by the same pin that holds the extractor in.
There were some other machining done to the top of the bolt as well.

That is a Winchester 98a bolt peep sight - once a factory option.

Here's a previous thread on it, and where a repo sight used to be made/available: viewtopic.php?t=20705

hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

I have a 94 with the bolt peep....it is in 219 Zipper....I think it is a rebarrel….and the receiver was drilled on the side for [ multiple ] different side mount scopes......messed up looking little gun, but it works well, so I just overlook the ugly !
cable