The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The Gun Room

Post by OldWin »

Best of luck at the shoot, Gunny.
Oldest boy signed the papers on his new house last Wednesday. He was storing all his stuff here for the last couple months. :roll:
Hauled most of it over last week. Taking a LOAD of ammo this morning. Yes, a load. :shock:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Arrgghh had a Nursing home that was reportedly letting staff sleep and ignoring call bell lights. Up at 0215 out the door 0255 arrived 0400 worked until 1030. Drove home good night.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I see no good reason to limit myself to a room... I have a "gun house".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ugh I shoulda stayed home! Shot poorly. Didnt sleep last well night- I think the melatonin pills I bought are actually caffeine pills!

There was a time when almost all the corners had a gun standing in them. 90° corners were developed for guns, it's a fact! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Anyone have flying squirrels? Think I've got a bunch of them- I filled the bird feeder yesterday, this morning its half empty! 2 and a half pounds of sunflower overnight!! Guess I need to get a trail camera! Sure hope it's not raccoons again
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Have but rarely here. Strangely enough, when one shows up, the cat has them soon after.
Oooh, brown truck Santa came with my engine and transmission skid today. Looks like some more quality time under the Jeep. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

New skid marks eh? How are you going to leave skid marks UNDER the jeep? :lol: I'm on a first name basis with the UPS driver, he is a cowboy action shooter and a bird hunter- we get along well.m

Well Six it's only fitting you are acting like a squirrel- we all know you are NUTS! :D I've got 2 Husqvarna's, a Sthil and 2 old Echo saws, one of which is a twin cylinder. Yes 2 pistons! Smooooooth running, can set it atop a 4x4 while idling and it stays put.

Oh hey Parker is wondering where her birthday cards are...? Only she remembered Sunday was her 2nd birthday!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! Ole Six had a big day! Good work buddy! When I have to cut a tree thats close to something, I usually tie it to the truck with a long rope if I have room. Then cut it most of the way through and pull it down with the truck.
Love the pic of me, buddy!

Yeah Gunny, the UPS driver loves me! :D
Well, I got the old Nth Degree engine skid all off. I keep meticulous track of all parts and hardware from the Jeep. All in the boxes and labeled.
Got the parts all prepped and painted for the new skid install. I will post pics when I get it done.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow Six, what day. 65, well you are young, time will solve that ;-)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

It's what's for dinner ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:03 pm It's what's for dinner ;-)
Fred....never saw those things...showed it to the resident food expert...she said they are plantains. What do you put on them?

Looking at your plate, your eating very healthy.......ya know, gotta stay healthy for those long days at the golf course! Gotta keep those fingers soft, supple, and strong for swinging the club and squeezing the soft stuff. Hey! I think it's time for a pic.---6

Jay.....you know what happens to parts you took off, boxed and labeled? They end up in the top rafters of the garage 20 years later. I have boxes of stuff I took off the Rubicon when it was new....all nice and boxed up....shocks, steering parts, bumpers.....even the back seat, no one ever sat in it...wrapped it up in shrink wrap.....all that junk is still sitting up there.

Where's Gunny and my soon-new-to-me-Ruger-Single-Six-44 Spl.?
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Steak, eggs and fried baked potato. And on the other, you are more right than you know ;-)

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Ok....I first thought fried potatoes but the wife said they look like bananas....the ones you cook, called plantains. Oh well....
That's your department...you and my wife would get along great. (She has lots of soft stuff)

Yea, I hear you on the ability to be able to utilize the accuracy of a gun, especially handguns.....I peaked in my mid fifties with all guns and in all disciplines, bench, offhand, metallic sights, rifles, handguns...been declining steadily since...I would like to blame my eyes or my nerves but the truth is, I just don't have it anymore, mostly in enthusiasm. It takes real determined discipline to win and with that comes aggravation and work...pizz on it....I want to play....spent over 50 years working, caring, doing the right thing and all that b.s...in these years I want to play. I planned for it and life is easy now...screw those tight groups and 35 x 40 silhouette scores. :lol:

On a bright note we have a buffalo match this Saturday.....this is play...no NRA books....just a bunch of good ole boys shooting at chickens, pigs, turkeys, and rams out to 500 meters. We spend the day telling lies, how great we are, new guns, politics, our families...you,know, the same things we've been talking about for all of our lives. Sometimes I'll fanny burp so loud the match director gets on the microphone and hollers, "hey, no shooting yet!!!!"---6 :D

Got the old Hi-Wall 40-82 Schuetzen all dialed in....let the fun...and fanny burbs...begin :D

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yup! Most of my Jeep parts are up overhead in the garage. And some in the corner, and some over in the back garage, and in the old man's front garage, and cellar, and........ :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

6, right on with the desire. About 95% of the 6,000 through my 24 were in 8 months about 30 years ago. At it all the time. And there were another 5,000 through various 1911s and all the reloading. Then I got into rifles for about a dozen years. Since then cruisin as the mood moves me. But as you say not focusing and dialing down. But that was natural back then.

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Where am I? Where was I? Well I crashed early last night... Why I have no idea.

Yes Six I no longer have the same seriousness in shooting matches BUT I want to shoot well, this season I haven't been doing that!

Hang on I might have a box of jeep parts t in the shed! I'll send them up north, from my '88 .

Huh, I left the shed open last night!? At least my Ranger is still here!

If those are plantains they must be record book size or the worlds smallest cast iron frying pan! :lol:

Well gotta go for a recall today, wood pellets delivery later and a haircut this evening .

I'll try to get Special pics today...

Here Six you can WIN all the silhouette matches with this-
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101282998
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I like that Gunny...in a way, the Gattling has always been on my wish list but as a realist, I knew it wasn't going to happen, so I stopped wishing.

Who? What's my name? Gunny...when you reach my age, you will start to actually wonder where you are and what's your name.

Gunny.....the first stage in ones declining scores is what you just mentioned...."you still want to do good, but it's not extremely important"......then, one day, after a steady loss of testosterone, you will wake up and realize it's just not important anymore. After a few years of that your inner dialogue will exclaim, "well, if I can't do good anymore or don't want to, why waste the time, energy, and money to attend matches." That's about where I'm at. For decades, I NEVER missed a match, unless sometime important came up.....it's now a hit or miss, finding any excuse not to go....weathers hot, too much wind, hate that guy from Maryland............................................

The guys will ask, "where were you last weekend?" and you'll tell them you had serious issue to attend to.....now I just tell them I didn't feel like getting outta bed. There was an old timer tip top shooter, Bill Parks who never missed a match...then he slowly started missing them, telling us he didn't feel good, blah...blah....well, ain't seen him at all for three years. A buddy of his tells' me he is fine, just spending his time walking around the yard, doing menial chores, laughing, farting, looking at the sky, hanging out on the internet, remembering how great it used to be, you know, a "has been".......dang! Sounds like me!!!----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I never shot competitively. Not once. I don't even like it when someone else is at the range......which ain't often.
Guess it makes sense. My wife says I've been an old fanny burp all my life. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
The reason for shooting competition is because it's the next step up after you think you know what your doing. It lets you know where you fit in against other shooter as to skill.

People show up for many reasons.

When shooting competitively, it requires you to practice more often, thus, more range time.

Some like the camaraderie with like minded folks.

Some like to get more use out of their guns in a bit more meaningful way other than blasting rocks and tree stumps.

Some look at it as play...a deviation from monotonous regular life and away from the real boss....the wife.

Some like to be the "big shots"....literally.

Some like to show off their guns, especially me....I've had numerous people ask me, "Your shooting THAT??!!"

Some like to see where they fit in as to skill.....the State, Regional, and National Championships really tells you where you fit in.OK, OK, I won about a half dozen first places matches upstate in the AAA class at the State and Regional Champs but never an aggregate....out of dozens of matches attended. I ain't nuttin compared to the big boys.....in fact, anymore I ain't nuttin' at the local shoots.

As a life long gun guy, you would fit in nicely and would most likely progress to a AAA class within a year, as you know your guns, ammo, and inner confidence. Classes start at "B", "A", "AA", "AAA", and Master. I've only shot a half dozen master scores in my life and they were lucky days. Some guys do it regularly.

This is at McKean County Rifle Club at the 2013 Regional Champs. I took this and at the very end I walk to our hangout/canopy ...the big guy on the right is the other GUNNY, retired Marine DI.....we are best buds.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bGhKEGNruRQ

This is the "master" shooting an 1892 SRC in 38-40 using black powder. 50 meter pigs..if you watch the animals, you can see them going down when I shoot. "The Gunny" is doing the narrating.---6

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gs6LvI6yZU
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

You are right Six, when I started shooting matches I was 1 of 4 young punk wise azz kids. We had lots to learn. We learned some the hard way. All the seasoned guys that were my age now are gone, great friends and mentors they were! Now I'm the only 1 of us kids still shooting bunker, although 1 of the others is a 3 gun competitor and is nationally ranked.

Nothing wrong with being an old phart Jay! I'm not far behind ya, October I become a SENIOR competitor!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks for the vids, Six. Good shootin!
The biggest difference is you guys have organizations and shoots like that. There isn't a lot of it up here.
Our club has 1 or 2 shoots a year and it's mostly benchrest type stuff. I have zero interest.
When I shoot, it's mostly like you were doing. Offhand on steel. Seems the most practical to me.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay...the only way ANY shoots materialize is because some guy takes the initiative to start one. THOSE guys are few and far between as most guys just want to show up and shoot...pay their entry fee and play. Luckily, we have lots of those guys at our club. Match directors shoot for free and have other benefits such as Carte Blanche to the best shooting spots, club supplies, their choosing as to rules and times...blah...

Not sure if you guys up in Maine can do that....you do have rifling in your guns, right? Can you get smokeless powder? Is everyone within horse and buggy distance? Indoor or outdoor plumbing? Ya know, I got to watch that movie you talked about..what's the name again?

I'm not laughing as the better part of upstate Pa. is really like that. While I'm far from hifaluton, I do believe in indoor plumbing and spreading my genes to non family members. :D

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha no worries buddy. It's true. A friends daughter is a 4th grade schoolteacher. Today was the first day of school and one of her students said in class her mom couldn't pick her up cause she fell in the beer tent at the fair and broke her arm.
This place could be a reality show. :D

The movie is Dead River Rough Cut.
I gotta get the DVD. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I believe the only place in Maine to get smokeless powder is at Kittery Trading Post? :D
You are again correct, I ran the bunker for about 10 years, it took its toll on me. I got burned out and stopped shooting for 7 years. Now the guy that took over is getting burned out BUT our core group of 5 take up the slack if & when needed.

4 ton of wood pellets delivered today. Got a ton into the basement, I'll try to do the other 3 tomorrow.

Yes I'll try to remember pics of the Single Six 44 special!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha. Well Gunny, KTP is a long ways away. High falutin guys like myself make it down once very few years. We get some of that new fancy smokeless stuff, even though I'm skeptical. To stretch it, we shoot duplex loads till it runs out. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey...maybe you Dead River Rough Cut people up there can take a break from hanging out in the beer tent and (what's a beer tent? :D ).

I finished up the tree today.....cut up most of it with the cordless Ego.....no pine either...hardwood cherry....----6

Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay....we are trying to find that movie....we have a smart tv with a million movies but are not too savvy on how to negotiate this stuff.

Edit...never mind...found it on amazon prime...the guy with his hands on a steering wheel.....mom just came back from wegmans and she's dishing us up some wild caught salmon and other goodies...gonna wash up my Obama and tune it in in about an hour......you say it was filmed down the street from you? Are you in it? :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Single Six 44 special
20190828_202932-600x800.jpg
next my K22 for scale
20190828_202944-800x600.jpg
20190828_202956-600x800.jpg
NO YOU CANT HAVE IT! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK...just watched that Dead River Rough Cut movie. Didn't really see nothing I never saw before...just a couple of good ole boys living life the way people were intended to...in nature......they had enough of civilizations bs......I related a lot to their words and lifestyle....

When they were pulling the sled full of wood with the two white face steers I saw a man with a heavy coat on peeking around a white birch tree. So we went back a few frames and stopped it...there he was, JAY !!! ......believe he was waiting for the guys to take a "leak break" , then run up and permanently borrow their old worn out 30-30 carbine.

Oooooooo...wait a minute....Jay......YOUR THE BEST!!! Hey pal , can you put on your coat and drop by Gunny's......there's a Ruger there that I need.

I like that Gunny.....sure looks like that there's a slim fit of the barrel into the frame. I've never seen anything like it...perfect barrel length. Now....what I am about to write is in no way critical...just a thought.......the grip frame....I'm thinking a "New Vacaro" grip frame that's almost like a single action Colt....mmmmm.....set of elephant ivories with black eagle ruger medallions......CAN I BUY IT????. :D ---6. I like it bud...for real....

Because the new barrel is fatter than the original, how did you,get the ejector housing to line up with the frame hole?
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

You guys know I have this "foes list". Yea, just picking out lots of people and adding up fast. I'm hoping to get to where only about 10 people show up at all on the screen.

Makes the atmosphere here on Leverguns much more calmer and civilized.

Makes it easier to find real people, not ones who find God in the last few months of their life after realizing they have alienated every close person in their life and suddenly realize they need to do something so they get into the Pearly Gates...but....it's too late for them....the fire is gonna get em. While checking my list on the control panel I've noticed that three have even changed their screen name thinking their posts would come up on the screen. Ha! Satan is coming....soon. Like Donald Trump, I always win. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow Gunny! That is really cool! Let me get my coat, I'm on my way. :D
Glad you found it, Six. Yeah, you got me. I tried to stay outta the camera. I got that carbine downstairs, though.
That's how I got my 2nd half mag 38-55 SRC. Got it right up the road from them boys, in Jackman.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ya know Six , I think we just installed the ejector rod housing as normal... I don't remember it being an issue. It was my fishing vest gun while I was living in a more civilized place. Gotta say it's a bit rough and crude but it works. The grip panels are the lace wood I made last winter, they have more girth than factory, fit yer hand much better. I much prefer the brass frame I have on my BH 41 mag but it's too big to fit the SS frame. Also the original cylinder I made into a shifter knob for my 88 jeep.

Just installed my buffalo warning system. If a buffalo gets with in 5 miles my fence catches fire, the house goes eletrictrified, the safe goes nuclear and my guns are secure! :lol: Jay you are welcome to stop by but no buffalo coat! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

10:30 am and I've got 2 ton of wood pellets put in the basement already! Just 50 more bags to go...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh OK....I'm easy to get along with.......I'll just sit right here and let Jay do my work for me. He is a very reputable guy and well known in the north woods for "getting the job done".

Well..gonna split wood today.......you guys hold down the fort and blow a few fanny burbs, then blow the wind West.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Not gonna happen Six- got a nicewest/north westerly wind today!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Wow! Mmmmmmmmmmm. Lookee what I just found...forgot all about it.......

50 pounds of 63/37 solder..tin/lead......mmmmmmmm. Prices range from $26-$32 a roll.......I got 50 of them.....mmmmm

Coming soon to a classified near you.----6

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Wow! Gunny is working like a machine. Six is falling over buried treasure........again. And I just got up. :D
Gonna swill down a coffee and then go crawl under the Jeep. No, not to sleep. :D
Gotta get that engine skid installed.
Then I got to put an add out to sell the old one. I'd keep it if it would fit Old Red, but Red is a 4 banger so no go.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well Jay...if you stopped hanging out with those rascals from the Dead River you would not need those skid plates...you could just "borrow" their two white face steers. That was quite a road they were pulling the wood down...you know the road, the one with the birch tree you were hiding behind...

So.......get up today...somewhere around 10....and the wife says to me, "ya know, those guys in that movie live better than we do." To which I replied, "Maybe so, but they don't have the Winchesters and Colts I have.---6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Spools of bullets! I've got about 20 or 30 lbs of tin downstairs.
Your skid plate would make a good steel plate for busting with 22s. Go hang it in a tree in the back yard. :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That sucker would stop more than a .22. :D
The new one is aluminum and runs from the front of the oil pan all the way back to the transfer skid. It will be like a four wheeler underneath. All smooth so it will slide over all the rocks, stumps, and logs I run it over.

Six,
I think one of those guys is still alive. I don't know as it was "good living", but they were certainly unfettered and pretty free.
There are still a lot of folks that live like that for the most part. Some do it better than others. There are some that do it well. I got 200 acres up the road in some real hillbilly territory. I'd really like to move up there and make my own movie. "Wesserunsett Stream Rough Cut". :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So you are saying you need extras for the movie? Guess I gotta start letting my beard grow! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yes! I am casting for the movie. Six and Gunny are definitely in. Pitchy is a natural. Griff is in too.
Tom is pretty cultured but he may want to join in. Turtle man.
Who else we need?
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I AM CULTURAL? Jay if you only knew. Remember I lived in the BURBs of LaGrange Me. And was first married to a Maniac. AND she was born and raised in Maine too.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha just hackin on ya buddy. I knew you had some "hicktime". :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Woohoo ! Does that mean I can grouse hunt between takes? :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man...our own movie!!!! (By the way, Tom is cultured...very pleasant, nice manners, clean cut...we might have to make him the producer or director or something..he would not fit in as a cast member)

Now Jay is the natural. Even saw him in the real movie. Don't think Pitchy wants anything to do with us anymore mostly because of me.....I always try to keep a happy atmosphere and he takes it as I'm making fun of him....oh well, ya can't tell a guy how to think. Besides, he is very busy with his projects he has going on.

Took the log splitter out to the pasture to finish up what I started last year...figured everything is nice and dry and would be easy to work with.......moved one log, snake coiled up looking at me....moved another log ...big toad looking at me...then another toad.....then some monsterous spiders, insects of all kinds....dang.....a lot of homes were made in the last year...felt bad. I caught the toads and moved them to another brush pile, shooed the snake away and let the insects go about their business. At the end of the day I walked over to where I set the toads down and they were together, hopping around and happy as a lark. :D I busted up laughing. Yea....I have more feelings and care for animals, even down to the toad level, than people. ---6
Model A Uzi’s
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Just read the above post....What's this garbage...grouse hunting in between takes? Well, on second thought, why not but....but...Gunny, You better bring your own ammo....they don't have no .410, 28 ga.,16 or 20 ga up that away..only 12 ga #8's that they use for everything and never do they sell "by the box". You can only buy singles or 3 for $2. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Now now...... we got us 16 and 20. We ain't animals. :D
But the "grouse" thing has to stop.
It's paaatridge. :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Jay....I like watching the "North Woods Law" show about game wardens in Maine.Got to admit, there's some nice scenery up there....also notice a lot of people living in trailers, sometimes campers, but that's common in Pa. too, north of Harrisburg.

I saw a guy living in a box a TV came in upstate one time. He even had a little cookstove in there with a flap for a door. On the one corner he kept a Kenmore washer and dryer. Kept an umbrella over it to keep it dry. He stayed in there for five years, never leaving, year round then he said he was moving to Maine because people up there buy bigger TV's. Said he was gonna put the new TV box on 200 acres that some guy has up there and might even move into his fishing shack where he stores his blue Jeep. :D

I'm tired...brain dead....going to bed buddy....another happy day tomorrow here and on Leverguns.....poof! Poof! --6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah. I will freely admit, I know more than one guy that "got famous" on North Woods Law. And not the wardens, either. :D
They hang out a lot in my area for some reason......... :D

Good night bro!