The Gun Room

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

The Gun Room

Post by GunnyMack »

So I have been thinking about converting the 2nd floor bedroom/office into The Gun Room. Dad used it as an office for many years until he couldn't do stairs anymore. Guess I'm looking for thoughts, reccomendations on setting it up.
If you like, share pictures of yours.
As I said I'm thinking about doing this so I can set up all my gun stuff, books etc in one place. I'm leaving the reloading stuff in the basement.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: The Gun Room

Post by gamekeeper »

The weight of your gun collection would worry me, if it worries you I'd love to take some of your collection off your hands... :P
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mmmmmm...dunno about that Gunny....I like all of my reloading gear, all of my gun stuff in one basket (room) for security and convenience reasons. Think about this...your loading ammo for a new gun and you need to check seating depth to the rifling....are you gonna run upstairs to get the rifle? Why don't ya just corner off a piece of the basement with cement walls and put in a vault door. Your a master craftsman and could easily put up the walls. Use 1/2" plate steel for a ceiling. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

When I was a kid, my dad's gun room was upstairs in a spare bedroom. Lots of fond memories......
However, as soon as he was able, he moved it to the cellar. A couple years before I moved out.
When I bought my place, I did exactly the same. From 91 till 01, it was upstairs. Been in the cellar since.
While it was nice having windows, I like the security of "the bunker".
I guess it all depends on the layout of your house and the volume of stuff. Like GK said, I can help out if you have too much old buddy........buddy? :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My thinking is more of a library with all the decorations like old shell boxes and duck decoys and such. Put a gun cabinet in it for ambiance, I've got a large collection of gun related hardcover books. Kinda thinking of a mini man cave! Maybe even make a wall mounted gun rack complete with felt covering the wall.

The basement just isn't going to work, I'd have to seal off half the basement! 6' of bench for metallic loading, 2 benches for shotgun, 8' of bench for smithing work and 12' of regular work bench. The rec room has tv & pool table and the remainder is where I store my wood pellets. Boy how I would love to make a vault!

Hmm I'm not sure a fine English Gentleman would be caught dead with a Hi Standard .22 pump , maybe my .410 pump though ! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Mine, plural, are at undisclosed locations.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm sure the Hi Standard .22 pump would be a upgrade on my Magtech semi.... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:? I wonder if you'll find it inconvenient to have all your reference books so far away from where you work?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Most of the reference books like exploded views or assembly/disassembly books will stay on the smith bench. My 'library ' books are all higher end books that Dad purchased for me over many years, all hard cover with gilted pages and way too nice to have on the bench. But that's a good point Blaine.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:28 pm Most of the reference books like exploded views or assembly/disassembly books will stay on the smith bench. My 'library ' books are all higher end books that Dad purchased for me over many years, all hard cover with gilted pages and way too nice to have on the bench. But that's a good point Blaine.
Maybe you can "guilt" me into cleaning my bench off....I'd be embarrassed to let anybody see it right now. :oops: :oops:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My bench too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

My bench is perfect, like me.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:00 pm My bench is perfect, like me.---6
Yes, your bench is very, very nice. :)

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:17 pmWhy don't ya just corner off a piece of the basement with cement walls and put in a vault door. Your a master craftsman and could easily put up the walls. Use 1/2" plate steel for a ceiling. ----6
Yep. Make it big enough to put a television and refrigerator in there, and you have a 'tornado room' you can spend the night in when there are tornado warnings, instead of staying awake all night listening to the weather radio.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

On a second look, my bench is only partially neat. ---6
Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If I could find the space, I'd move my gun room from the basement to the main floor of our home. I love the basement for security, and cool all year. But it's a PITA hauling guns, ammo, and shooting supplies up and down the stairs. The older I get, the less I like hauling things up or down stairs.
Might think about the upstairs bedroom as a gun room, and using those stairs all the time!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

A couple pics of my area. About three days after the kid went to college I claimed the basement (his old room)
4742DB74-717B-40C2-A5C2-0232DC762146.jpeg
4CFE2541-B6B0-4CB6-8846-3F2F09D3055C.jpeg
CF4223FF-E46C-4141-A2A2-159BE869775D.jpeg
314E6332-742B-4D02-B711-B644F14C0A2E.jpeg
70D6CF3E-962B-42EE-942A-4B112B86BDDA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Tom....i thought I had all of the neat stuff.....man! You and Gunny have all of the neat stuff. I used to have some really nice old single action Colts but that Jay guy put em in his buffalo coat and took em to Maine.

I really like that old Montana safe...what's the scoop on dat?---6
Model A Uzi’s
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well the scoop is....it’s a fake. Turn of the twentieth century safe that a business was getting rid of. My buddy who worked there called and said there were two other people still ahead of me who could have it for free if they could move it, but wanted to know if I was interested if they couldn’t make it happen. A week later he said it was mine If I could get it gone today. Backed my car trailer up to it (remember before I was a nurse I was a flatbed trucker) hooked the trailers 9000 pound winch to it strapped a piece of 3/4 plywood to the back and flopped it on its back and drug it up the trailer. Next day my neighbor who drive tow truck hooked to it lifted it off the trailer and right into my garage. It was the ugliest metal flake green ever. Stripped it used a black epoxy gloss on the inside and a flat on most of the outside. Hit it with hammers, chains, a grinder and scotchbrite . Had a stencil shop make the graphics and used a tiny amount of antique furniture restorers paint and hand painted the signage. There is no First cattleman’s bank in Deer Lodge all in my head. The little lock plate sign sayS WINMAR lock and safe Company New Haven Conn.
When asked about that, I reply what’s in it?
WINchesters and MARlins. I use rifle rods so they are 3-4 deep in there not a single row.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That's cool as all get out, Tom!
And don't you believe that 6-guy. None of it's true.
So....what you doin' this weekend? Up for a visit? Kind of a chill in the air. I better wear a heavy coat. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jay, that's a great looking room! Too organized for me. :D

Gunny,
After my wife's youngest moved out, I reclaimed his room for a home office / gun room. I built a long rack down one wall with a book shelf under it. It's not enough to hold everything, but it works pretty well and looks nice. It's a bit of an eclectic mess. If I leave it just a bit cluttered it keeps the OCD neat freak better half out. :D
I have my reloading stuff in the basement in another room where I also do my cleaning and minor repairs. just too much stuff for one room. I did just bring home an old fireproof file cabinet from our old office building. Moved most of my extra powder out to the garage. Made me nervous having all that stuff in the basement. Going to se up a bench out there to start doing more casting.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Tom that safe is great! WinMar is a hoot, never would have thought of that, brilliant!

That's what I'm taking about OW! That's kinda what I'm thinking about! When you are done at Six's stop over and I'll pick yer pockets- er I mean your brain on setting up my gun room. :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks guys. Trust me Gunny, my pockets are empty.
My dad's gun room is about twice the size of mine. It has a bar too. I'd love to redo it. Probably will when we move over there someday. I will hate to leave mine, though. It's been a good spot. Getting smaller though. :D
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Even the pockets in your buffalo coat? :D
I have the feeling I'm going to be a long time with this project, it's kinda hard going through Dads stuff...

Boy that was some storm last night- all kinds of tree limbs down in the driveway!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha! The Coat is a mystery of mysteries......
I hear you with your dad. Mine turns 78 next month. Been my best buddy my whole life. It won't be easy.
Just this morning he "rescued" my wife. She was out walking the dog and was quite a ways from the house. A stray dog shows up and she called the cops to help find the owner. She was wondering what to do with ours and when she looked up, my old man was walking down the street towards her, out for a walk. He walked ours home while she waited.
That sums up my old man.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Yyyaaaawwwwnnnnn.....what Jay don't know is that I visited Maine when he was in Alaska.

Jay...your room is tooooo. clean and organized. Mines pretty organized but lots of dust all over. I'll take some pics later......

Was going to go to the club today and give the LWRC and the BAR a workout with some match ammo but as I'm writing this from bed, don't think it's gonna happen.

Checking my inventory

Sometimes after going to an auction or,gunshow I have to make room for the new arrivals.

Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Hahaha my man, Six. Now that's funny right there.

Oh, and I know you weren't here. I plan for contingencies.
I had the oldest boy stay here while we went to Alaska, and had the old man checking in as backup.
I hung " Wanted" posters of you all around here and offered a reward. Told em to be on the lookout for this real raggedy and suspicious looking dude. Probably driving a TJ Rubi. Told em if there was a question of identity, to just holler "Hey! Look at that 86 Express!", and he would jump and come running. Couldn't resist.
They asked if they should put some knockoff Colts with tripwires out. I said, "Naw, he can smell a counterfeit from 200ft, but can smell an original from 20 miles."
Had em scatter mine in different, undisclosed locations.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Jay...your humor is surpassing mine...well done!.......I especially liked the one about "hollering about an 86 Express" or something like that.....that's the truth......I am very easily "baited" just by the numbers "1886" or the letters, "SAA"...Colt mind you, no foreign junk.

Hey...just had a visitor....I'll PM you on what's happening......problem WILL be solved.....like Donald Trump, I ALWAYS win!---6

Here's some early Colts that you missed and the Marlin that Tom missed.

This is the backside of my Gun Room...

Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah I know.......
Man! Good stuff buddy. The NICE guns live down there!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:37 pm Haha yeah I know.......
Man! Good stuff buddy. The NICE guns live down there!
Tell me something I didn't know! (Yea, but you have all those half mag carbines)

On another note, I'm working with the 300 B.O today....already have a jacketed load worked up but as I like to shoot thousands of rounds, cast is much cheaper......I'm trying the Saeco 170 g.c. that is a muti diameter bullet.....starts at .302 and ends at .312....will let you know.....
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That Marlin is gorgeous- it'll be a great center piece for my gun room! Thanks for the donation!

Is that a Hildabeast voodoo doll hanging in the right corner?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:14 pm That Marlin is gorgeous- it'll be a great center piece for my gun room! Thanks for the donation!

Is that a Hildabeast voodoo doll hanging in the right corner?
Nope...that's me....Ain't he a riot? :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'm tellin' ya, you're gonna love the 300. It's a handloaders
paradise. The combinations are limitless, 100gr. - 220gr.
I've never shot cast in mine.
When I start back up, I have to try my homemade brass with my little chopsaw and jig.
I've got a bunch of the Speer 125gr. TNTs. They are supposed to work great on deer and are quite accurate.....and cheap!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Six, you know darn well I didn’t miss that Marlin, just can’t afford it....yet!
Gunny Gunny Gunny don’t even think about that Marlin ending up at your house. I would hate for you to be THAT disappointed :mrgreen: I am pretty sure I can get ONE more in that old safe. Well two if he gets good and drunk and let’s me weasel in on the shorty 1886. SHHWWIINNGGGG
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah but you have that PROTOTYPE 336 ya can't have that and all that case color too!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

hey..hey...hey...the teacher (me) says to pay attention as class will be starting.

It was another no brainer with the 300 Black Out. As discussed a few days ago, I worked up a great load using cheap, pulled AK-47 bullets...124 grains that miked .310....no problem....a mess of 296 and I was hitting the 385 meter turkey but...but.....

I like even CHEAPER shooting so......I got out my favorite 30 caliber cast bullet that I use in many 30 caliber weapons. It's made by Saeco, weighs 175 grains without lube or gas check and has multiple diameters starting with .302 at the nose...then .306..then .308...then .310 and finishing up at .312 at the base/gas check.

Could not find any load data but knowing the water capacity I was able to get a good starting point with 5744 and a Remington S.R. Primer and cut down Lake City .223 brass. Seems the starting point is also the ending point as velocities and accuracy expected came out on the first try.

Keep in mind this AR has an 8" barrel so velocities would be about 200 fps faster in a 20". This AR is NOT a long range cartridge so extreme velocity is neither needed nor wanted. Longevity of the brass and rifle come first as I'm known to put 5K out of a gun in a year or so before I get tired of it and move on to something else.

The purpose of this rifle is for play.....the energy of this load will kill any steel plate or rock there is with ease of shooting, ease of wear on the gun, ease of blast and recoil...in other words, a fun gun to shoot with the power of a full power 357 Magnum with better sectional density for penetration.

15 grains of 5744
175 gr. cast
Velocity..1305

Perfect feeding, no leading/mess, and accurate...1" at 50 meters without even trying. I'll take it to the gunclub for a long range workout.

Here's that beauty...all 20 some inches of it.

The "Twinks" has to get in on the action

Saeco and loaded round

Pay attention class!!!!! THIS is why this bullet is so accurate and the answer why it is so seated. You will notice the rifling engraving on the front of the bullet. I chambered this round and obviously extracted it. The nose of this bullet fits the throat perfectly and holds it concentric to the bore axis. Now, get your pens and pencils as I want to see an essay tomorrow.

Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

My essay is gonna be late- gotta wait for the magic marker to dry sheet by sheet of Charmin! :lol:

I gotta say just watch out for the barrel port leading up- but you aren't running them fast so probably ok . Yeah I know I'm not telling you anything you dont already know! :D

5744 is a great powder as we know, bought a pound for playing with cast and my 338 WM, got a load worked up , shot a few and moved on to something else.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice job buddy! I use H110 with jacketed, but a bunch of stuff works. Lil'gun, 4227, and others. I have 16" that I've been getting about 2400 out of with 110 Barnes black tips.
Haven't tried my new 10.5" pistol upper yet.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Ok my essay is based on what I learnt in this class. Six has eight inches. Six likes to stuff it in the center of the hole. And Six only lets the tip touch. How did I do?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:02 pm Ok my essay is based on what I learnt in this class. Six has eight inches. Six likes to stuff it in the center of the hole. And Six only lets the tip touch. How did I do?

Ok, now that deserves a prize! :D
That's some funny stuff right there.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

fordwannabe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:02 pm Ok my essay is based on what I learnt in this class. Six has eight inches. Six likes to stuff it in the center of the hole. And Six only lets the tip touch. How did I do?
Class!!!! Tap..tap..tap.....the ruler gets the knuckles of Tom.....8" you say? Only if I fold it in half.

Gunny...your right on the leading in the port....I had that happen to my M1-A....after 5-600 rounds the port about closed up and the gun stopped feeding........that's why 1300....still makes lots of noise.....

Oh poopie, I'm tired...went outside and cut down part of a tree before the battery went dead. Been meaning to travel the 5 miles down to the hardware store to get me a Stihl Farm Boss but with the retired "who gives a poopie" attitude, it'll wait.
Model A Uzi’s
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I like the idea of a basement BUNKER with a blast door... all of the powerful elites have bunkers, why not the common man... :)
bunker.jpg
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Oh I like that idea- a bunker would be great but here where I am it would take large amounts of blasting- solid rock about 2' down, it a real chore getting holes dug up here! Neighbors spent a week blasting to put in a pool.

Got a letter from the dealership few days ago. Seems they want to buy my truck, offering 0% down and 0% financing for 72 months if I buy a 2019/20. So I'm going to go see what it's all about today. I like my truck but boy that 5.7 likes gas! If I do the deal I'm getting the Ecco Diesel!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

GunnyMack wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:59 am Oh I like that idea- a bunker would be great but here where I am it would take large amounts of blasting- solid rock about 2' down, it a real chore getting holes dug up here! Neighbors spent a week blasting to put in a pool.

Got a letter from the dealership few days ago. Seems they want to buy my truck, offering 0% down and 0% financing for 72 months if I buy a 2019/20. So I'm going to go see what it's all about today. I like my truck but boy that 5.7 likes gas! If I do the deal I'm getting the Ecco Diesel!!
I had an Eco Diesel for a couple years. ONLY reason I traded it on a new F250 was because the Alaskan Camper I wanted wouldn't go on that short bed 1500.
Maybe one of the best trucks I ever got. Always around 30mpg. Only thing was an oil service was about 300 bucks even if nothing was wrong. Ford does the same service for 39 bucks if you wait for the coupon.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I do all my own service work so that not an issue. It will get a soft bed cover as well.

Anyhow they didnt have any in stock, not know when they were getting any and since my lease has a year left they wouldn't deal...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I set up a savings account just to pay the lease payments. E very once in a while I'd make a deposit . Monthly email ' payment due soon ' then a few days later ' thank you for making the payment ' it's like a free truck- no checks to write, no payment book. I'd do the same with the new truck.

Well I found a roof leak in the porch the other night when it was pouring so I fixed ( fingers crossed) this morning. Got lunch made for the guys tomorrow, my turn to cook.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

I like that bunker 30-30.......mmmmmm......sometimes it's not good to have too easy of a life.....you get fat and lazy minded...bored too easy...look at Mike Tyson.....having a bunker like that would cause you to go into white condition and the next thing ya know Mexicans would be digging a tunnel underneath it and steal all your jalapeño peppers.---6

Gunny..you need jalapeños for the lunch tomorrow? 30-30 has em but you better be quick....the beaners are coming to get em.
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

No but I do like em stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well...spent the entire day restoring a deer trough I built for my inlaws butchering business 30 years ago...estimates run about 20,000 deer, lambs, and bears ...mostly deer.....have been skinned on there.....still fine but started to get a little wobbly.

Powerwashed it with the 2800 lb washer...wood came up like new...drilled some holes and put in some 4" lags.....got to replace a few boards on it tomorrow. Give it a few coats of Thompsons and it'll be good for another 20,000 deer.

Hey Gunny.....just learned something last night....yea, little slow.....on the control panel you can blot out other people's posts just by typing in their "handle" ......love it...out of sight...out of mind....life is great around the right people. I have a small list...don't see nothing they post......poof! .....gone! :D -----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm up, I'm up! Half hour early so I can boogie out to the club, gotta be there for 8 am so I can shoot earlier. Today is the All Clays fun match. Ruger Red Label 28 for skeet, Perazzi 12 for everything else. Got a crock pot full of Daves Gastronomic Bean Delight, a fresh baked loaf or rye- yes I made it! It's gonna be fun on a bun.
Now for BRCC !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!