Scout style scope on Rossi 92

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Scout style scope on Rossi 92

Post by mickbr »

Fellas I got a weaver rail and red dot currently on my 357, 24" stainless octagonal barrel. Was thinking of upgrading further to a scope setup now on account of my right eye astigmatism getting worse. I know I am committing blasphemy with these devices but in practical terms any suggestions? I had been thinking maybe something budget like vortex crossfire II 2-7x32, with the 9" eye relief. https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-crossfi ... scope.html Thanks for any thoughts.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Scout style scope on Rossi 92

Post by gamekeeper »

I have little experience with scopes but whatever keeps you on target when the need arises is fine, let us know how it works out...
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sounds like an excellent setup.

I have my .450 Marlin set up with an XS mount and a Leupold Scout scope. I find it is just perfect for my hunting needs, usually shots under 100 yds and heavy brush. I have that same Vortex on My Springfield Squad Scout. It's holding up just fine to the recoil and banging around that rifle gets, and less than half the cost of the Leupold. My new Marlin CST .357 is sporting a Leupold Scout scope that is just a perfect little carbine for me. I haven't hunted with it yet, but it's great little carbine.

Happy Shooting!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IME, a higher power and/or variable scope used in the scout position is a mistake...……………. :roll:

I've found that the scout scope works best when it acts like a peepsight with magnification, for very fast sight acquisition - and the higher power scopes defeat that purpose.

While dedicated "scout" scopes are expensive, there are more economically viable options out there.

I went through buying/selling several different scopes with the right eye relief before I settled what worked FOR ME (YMMV).

I used a new 2x28 fixed=power Weaver handgun scope ($150), which had an eye relief window of 9"-17" that covered the distance from my shooting eye to the receiver ring where the scope eyepiece ended.

(handgun scopes usually have one of two different eye relief windows, 9"-17" or 11"-21" - check a prospective scope's tech specs B 4 buying)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Here's the argument for the variable power on the scout scope. Walking / hiking mine is always set at a lower power, usually @ 2x. Where I hunt in PA there are antler restrictions. Nothing less than a 5 pt. can be take during gun season. My eyesight isn't as good as it used to be and the extra magnification help count those points when necessary. Yes, it does limit your field of view but to me that is offset by the usefulness of the variable. I'm a huge fan of the scout set up and have five different rifles set up that way. Only one has a variable scope but I'm planning on ordering another Leupold Scout with variable settings.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks gents, all good points. I don't need the higher magnification so much. Main issue is I cant get front and rear open sights into peprspective very well anymore, and a red dot has become a large L shaped slash to my vision :D . I didn't think of a handgun scope , that will probably do the job in fact. I'll take a look at a couple of either type anyway.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you go on Youtube there is a gun writer with a channel there named Richard Mann. He has done quite a lot of work with scout scopes. He has a lot of videos there. Most are short sweet and to the point. He has learned to pack a lot of information in a short time.
From what I have learned about the scout system one of the things it does not do is to help you gain a lot of light gathering abilities from the scope. I could be wrong on that, it's just what my reading on the subject has shown. With my eyes I can think of very few instances where I would not use glass to give me an advantage.
Good luck!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Thanks Rusty I will check that guys channel out
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

The sights started to get slightly blurry the last couple years for me. I put Scout scopes on two of my lever guns. A Marlin 45-70 XLR and a Marlin TK 3030. I love the Scout scopes. Out to about 300 yards they are awesome. In thick timber I can take them off with the quick-release rings. When I put them back on they are dead on at a hundred yards.
20190816_100340.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Consider a Ghost Ring and a HiViz or Firesight for the front. You don't have to focus on the back ring, just look thru it and don't try to center the front...your eye will automaticlly find the center better than you can guess the center. Honest.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Burris makes a 23/4x ier with thick duplex and weaver makes a 4x ier I've used both and in thick cover I prefer the Burris with the heavy plex. danny
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:04 pm Consider a Ghost Ring and a HiViz or Firesight for the front. You don't have to focus on the back ring, just look thru it and don't try to center the front...your eye will automaticlly find the center better than you can guess the center. Honest.
Thanks but these eyes need magnification these days, especially over 100 yards.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

When your astigmatism makes a red dot form strange shapes, switch to green. A Doc in the box eyeglasses and contacts store told me about that trick. Red dots for me give a 3 dot triangle that is not equilateral out of 1 single dot. Yes, I see all 3 of the 1 dot. Switched to green and I see only 1 dot, and it is sharp. Green is the easiest for the human eye to see. For me, I see a little bit into the UV spectrum, yes I see colors that are not supposed to be possible, and the red dot bleeds into the UV and gives me too many dots. Using green is the solution for those of us who cannot make a red dot show up as a single dot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

You'll need at least 8 maybe 9" of eye relief.

My Chiappa is an 1892 clone so you'll need to be infront of the ejection point.

I find it helps a lot.

Scrummy
EdinGa
Levergunner

Post by EdinGa »

Simmons 4x shotgun scopes work great for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

EdinGa wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:17 am Simmons 4x shotgun scopes work great for me.
Welcome to the forum... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
EdinGa
Levergunner

Post by EdinGa »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:34 am Welcome to the forum... :D

Thanks! I love me some lever guns! 😁