Model 88 .308 locked action

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mtnhntr73
Levergunner

Model 88 .308 locked action

Post by Mtnhntr73 »

I have a Model 88 Winchester that was my Dads, Ser No. is 88181. Upon removing the barreled action from the stock,I pushed the action forward and it will not close now. It is as though there is a solid stop keeping the bolt from closing. After I did this, I remembered it happening once before back in 1957 when I was 12 when I attempted to surprise my Dad by cleaning his rifle for him. Now I as a retired Mechanical Eng. cant imagine anyone designing an action that would have this issue. Any help would be appreciated.
1Winchester1
Levergunner

Re: Model 88 .308 locked action

Post by 1Winchester1 »

Mtn, I had the same problem with my Model 88. I was able to have it permanently repaired by Jim Dubell of Delta Gun shop. I had called around everywhere and someone referred me to Jim. He installed a pin at the rear of the action to compensate for some wear I believe. It has been fine (10 ) years now. The cost was only $ 40.00 at the time.
Unfortunately Jim passed away a few years ago at a relatively young age. you may contact Delta Gun Shop/ Clearwater Reboring and see if they are aware of the repair.
Mtnhntr73
Levergunner

Post by Mtnhntr73 »

Thanks for your quick response. After examining the action more closely, I realized that it had cammed over and stopped on the downside of the cam actuators. I cleaned and reassembled it and with a quick pop in the closing direction it came right back over and closed the action. It has always been a dependable and accurate rifle and I have no idea how long it had been since my Dad had cleaned it last, but I lost him in 1972, so a long time. He took more Deer and Elk with this 88 than I can remember and I intend to take one more Az Mule Deer with it this fall. Again, thanks for your quick response. :)
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Excellent.
Looking forward to the hunt report.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

MT, thank you for honoring us with your problem and how you fixed it. You have now enriched us all. Please don't be a stranger. That M88 is a classic. I'd like to hear about how you get it set up and what kind of accuracy you're able to get out of it.
I lost my dad in '73. I still miss him.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.