Cool lightning map

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Cool lightning map

Post by Bill in Oregon »

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cool lightning map

Post by jeepnik »

Almost looks like one of those things that show what would happen under different nuke war scenarios. But it is cool.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's another one.

Zoomed in near home you will hear the thunder from an individual strike when the sound-wave graphic passes you.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/

It loads pretty fast and tells you more about approaching storm intensity than the regular radar does.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

You ain't never been through a thunderstorm until you've walked in one from either the bowling alley or the enlisted men's club at mayport naval station to the carrier pier end of maine ave.

When the Forrestal and the Saratoga were both out underway, they would put tin cans on that pier for either the Yosemite or the base S.I.M.A. to conduct repairs and overhauls......The S.I.M.A. crane would draw the most wicked lightning and the subsequent thunder made the ground shake.

Back then when most states upped the drinking age to 21, 18 to 20 year olds could still get 3 % pitchers on base. Many a young, drunken squid turned missionary and evangelist during a thunderstorm in that mile trek from the bowling alley to their ship.
-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

There is something about the humidity in Florida. We were doing pavement work at Eglin and in the safety briefing they explained that the ramp was closed to personnel not in vehicles if the tower could see lightning. Well sure enough the first afternoon the siren went off so we shut down the saws and got in the trucks. We could see a small thunderhead over near the civilian side but it was sunny where we were. Out of the clear sky a huge bolt of lightning hit a tilly parked about 1/2 mile from us. Set one of the tires on fire. After that we would be sitting in the trucks before the siren reached full song. Lightning scares the stuff out of me.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Larkbill wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:13 pm There is something about the humidity in Florida. We were doing pavement work at Eglin and in the safety briefing they explained that the ramp was closed to personnel not in vehicles if the tower could see lightning. Well sure enough the first afternoon the siren went off so we shut down the saws and got in the trucks. We could see a small thunderhead over near the civilian side but it was sunny where we were. Out of the clear sky a huge bolt of lightning hit a tilly parked about 1/2 mile from us. Set one of the tires on fire. After that we would be sitting in the trucks before the siren reached full song. Lightning scares the stuff out of me.
When you say "over near the civilian side" are you referring to the country airport? I was on the military side of that end of the runway for a bit. And yes, out of no where lightening would sometimes hit stuff. We didn't walk around in the silver suits when that was going on.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:17 pm
Larkbill wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:13 pm There is something about the humidity in Florida. We were doing pavement work at Eglin and in the safety briefing they explained that the ramp was closed to personnel not in vehicles if the tower could see lightning. Well sure enough the first afternoon the siren went off so we shut down the saws and got in the trucks. We could see a small thunderhead over near the civilian side but it was sunny where we were. Out of the clear sky a huge bolt of lightning hit a tilly parked about 1/2 mile from us. Set one of the tires on fire. After that we would be sitting in the trucks before the siren reached full song. Lightning scares the stuff out of me.
When you say "over near the civilian side" are you referring to the country airport? I was on the military side of that end of the runway for a bit. And yes, out of no where lightening would sometimes hit stuff. We didn't walk around in the silver suits when that was going on.
If you haven't been there for a while you wouldn't recognize "the civilian side". It's now called Southwest Florida Regional Airport and the construction ants have been quite busy. One friend calls it Baha Atlanta. I guess the panhandle has been discovered.