Questions About DSL Internet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Questions About DSL Internet

Post by Blaine »

I've always had very fast Comcast Internet.....50+ mbps
I'd like to move, and the internet available in a smaller town setting around here is DSL at around <10 mbps or so......
Will that reliably stream NetFlix and other video streaming services? NetFlix and Prime Streaming says it's enough, but?????
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: Questions About DSL Internet

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

harry wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:19 pm Found this Blaine
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/utiliti ... -you-need/
Thanks.....I've seen the same info just about everyplace, and "THEY" say it's ok....I guess I'd like to hear some first-hand experience.....I might not have a choice. The small towns in desireable areas only have DSL at best.
When I first started out on the internet in '97 I used free Juno Dail Up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It took a whole day to download Turbo Tax :o :o :o

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Yes, it's enough. Unless you like to watch HD or 4K. Then I'm not sure.

I watch Netflix on the lowest resolution to save my bandwidth. I'm on satellite so I get a limited amount of 12k download. Even when I get choked down to the slower speed, Netfix still streams.

I seldom watch Amazon prime because it won't let me set the resolution. It downloads as fast as the internet will let is and gobbles up my monthly allotment
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I get about 8 MPs on my DSL. Netflix and Amazon works just fine because the way they compress the files. Live streaming something on the internet can sometimes have an issue.
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

We are about 6 miles from town and Century Link DSL is the only thing available here. I get 6MB to 14MB and they call that high speed. We used to have Netflix but the
constant buffering was so frustrating we dropped Netflix. Every time a new customer signs up it slows down, to where now they are not taking any more customers in this area.
One neighbor switched to satellite but says the charges when he reaches his data limit is not good. we complain constantly to no avail. some have done some investigating and
found out that if they upgraded their equipment about a mile from here we could have reasonable speed but they say it is too expensive. Good Luck. Perhaps you will have a
different provider and get better service.
Roughcreek
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm on DSL at the house... have been for the 20 or so years. Other than dial-up or satellite internet, it's the only option when we first moved here. It's only been in the last 5 years that cable has become an option... but they want a boatload of money to bring cable down our road... In fact when I first heard of DSL, we were among the only two areas offered in our county. I jumped at it. It far exceeds dial-up and is far more reliable and far cheaper than satellite. I think we're now limited to 100 GB a month... but it's only $10 for 50GB after that. The only time we get near or exceed that is when my son is home... he downloads and streams both hulu and netflix.

What speeds exc. we get I don't know. I watch a couple of sailing channels, and as long as I keep my speeds to 760 or less I'm fine. Even if he's streaming a movie at the same time. We get ours direct thru AT&T. I used to use Earthlink, as they were the first ones to offer in our area. Then... about 10 or so years ago, our phones were struck by lightning. What a fiasco that turned into. After 3 weeks of finger pointing and "it's their fault"... I asked AT&T straight what was wrong with my DSL. They said, quite bluntly, "... your provider."

15 minutes later I had a new provider and my DSL was switched back on. Have not had an interruption of service since. So, my only advice is, pick your provider with care. Yes, I recommend AT&T here... but I maybe wouldn't be so quick to do so in other areas.

We're 30 or so miles from the main hub, like the 2nd largest hub in the world... so volume is key, if we were on a smaller hub, we'd be slower, so it really depends on YOUR circumstances... you need to talk to the folks around where you're moving.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:43 am I'm on DSL at the house... have been for the 20 or so years. Other than dial-up or satellite internet, it's the only option when we first moved here. It's only been in the last 5 years that cable has become an option... but they want a boatload of money to bring cable down our road... In fact when I first heard of DSL, we were among the only two areas offered in our county. I jumped at it. It far exceeds dial-up and is far more reliable and far cheaper than satellite. I think we're now limited to 100 GB a month... but it's only $10 for 50GB after that. The only time we get near or exceed that is when my son is home... he downloads and streams both hulu and netflix.

What speeds exc. we get I don't know. I watch a couple of sailing channels, and as long as I keep my speeds to 760 or less I'm fine. Even if he's streaming a movie at the same time. We get ours direct thru AT&T. I used to use Earthlink, as they were the first ones to offer in our area. Then... about 10 or so years ago, our phones were struck by lightning. What a fiasco that turned into. After 3 weeks of finger pointing and "it's their fault"... I asked AT&T straight what was wrong with my DSL. They said, quite bluntly, "... your provider."

15 minutes later I had a new provider and my DSL was switched back on. Have not had an interruption of service since. So, my only advice is, pick your provider with care. Yes, I recommend AT&T here... but I maybe wouldn't be so quick to do so in other areas.

We're 30 or so miles from the main hub, like the 2nd largest hub in the world... so volume is key, if we were on a smaller hub, we'd be slower, so it really depends on YOUR circumstances... you need to talk to the folks around where you're moving.
Thanks to you and everybody else that took some time for me.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV