home remedy questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

home remedy questions

Post by Grizz »

and placebos, my term for over the counter pain meds.

my specific question, which placebo coctail is safest? for example, taking several different brands might wind up overdosing by two or three times the 'normal dosage.

and the second question is this, is there a combination which is more effective than the individual components?

I want to avoid stressing the organs at the same time I want to tone down the pain numbers.

headaches and muscle aches and various combinations that interfere with my productivity.

you know, the thing that would approximate about 20mg of an actual pain remedy, now on the outlaw list. Grrrrr.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: home remedy questions

Post by Blaine »

Be careful with NSAID cocktails. Your liver will thank you.
I have a prescription of Diclofenac I take twice a day. I take 1000 mg of tylenol three times a day. Every source I look at says this is a safe combo. Motrin and tylenol are safe, too.
The best relief I have for achy joint inflamation is high-test white Tiger Balm rubbed in with a couple drops of DMSO.
Spending fifteen minutes on the rowing machine a day helps a great deal.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Having lost one kidney to cancer and being protective of the remaining one, my doctors tell me that opioids are the only "safe" painkillers I can take. As for acetaminophen -- no way. Ibuprofen is okay -- for exactly ONE tablet per day. Fortunately, I have no chronic pain problems.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

For over 165 years aspirin has been the standard by which the rest are judged.
I'll risk a little stomach up-set (which has never happened to me) verses the certain kidney damage of ibuprofen and liver damage or acetaminophen.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BlaineG wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:25 pm Be careful with NSAID cocktails. Your liver will thank you.
I have a prescription of Diclofenac I take twice a day. I take 1000 mg of tylenol three times a day. Every source I look at says this is a safe combo. Motrin and tylenol are safe, too.
The best relief I have for achy joint inflamation is high-test white Tiger Balm rubbed in with a couple drops of DMSO.
Blaine, some folks livers can take that much Tylenol with no problems, but I have seen several go into irreversible liver failure with much lower doses than that.
cable
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

hfcable wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 pm
BlaineG wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:25 pm Be careful with NSAID cocktails. Your liver will thank you.
Blaine, some folks livers can take that much Tylenol with no problems, but I have seen several go into irreversible liver failure with much lower doses than that.
It's the max doseage listed on the bottle. If I have some beer, I don't touch it that night...maybe noon the next day.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

BlaineG wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 pm
hfcable wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 pm
It's the max doseage listed on the bottle. If I have some beer, I don't touch it that night...maybe noon the next day.
ok, but just periodically see your doc and have liver function tests . i tolerate it well and took a bunch as i was having back surgeries...i am nearly 72 now and only using it occasionally....had a couple of folks who had tolerated it , they thought, but suddenly were in trouble
cable
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Grizz, dang, friend, sorry you are dealing with these kinds of chronic pain issues. Bet Doc and Piller will be along with some guidance.
I occasionally take aspirin or a single ibuprofen, and am currently waiting and praying that the gabapentin I started on about 10 days ago will kick in on the leg nerve pain. I have read that it helps fewer than 50 percent who it is prescribed for.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Grizz for muscle and joint aches I use emu oil. Trade name of blue goo or blue emu, it is a topical and you won’t stink. It has worked for my knee and heels for a decade or so. don’t know why it works maybe placebo effect but it works. And When I put it on in the morning I am my dogs best friend they can’t stay away.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks for info Guys.

I don't have addiction problems, well, barring sugar.... but the fake epidemic closed the door on something that is a truly helpful blessing . . .
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

The Devil's Claw is a powerful anti-inflammatory plant medication.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/devils-claw
garra-do-diabo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

As far as the traditional OTC stuff:

Aspirin 81 mg safe for MOST people but not enough to do much for pain.
Aspirin 325 mg starts to help, and for short term, if stomach and kidneys in good shape, up to 3 of them, three times a day is 'ok'.
Tylenol 325 mg also can help, and for short term, if liver in good shape, up to 3 of those, three times a day is 'ok'.
Advil 200 mg overlaps with aspirin, and is also a 'stomach and kidney' issue, and up to 3 of them, three times a day is 'ok'.

Alleve and Naprosyn are more or less the same as Advil, but the doses are different, and they usually have no real advantage over Advil.
Motrin is another brand of Advil so is the same.

I wouldn't combine Aspirin and Advil (or Alleve or Naprosyn), and Aspirin isn't that helpful anyway.

Tylenol and Advil (or the plain generics) make a good combination together, and enable less to be used. A good regimen to try would be two Advil and a Tylenol (325 or 500 mg) a couple times a day.

Don't treat ANY pain without knowing what the cause is though, so see a doctor if something lasts more than a few days or is severe. If it is for sure just something harmless that only needs pain management then proceed.

In the 'supplement' realm, I've had patient have luck with:

Hemp Oil (less so CBD oil because it has less ingredients) - pretty good orally for many folks, topical sometimes helps; pricey brands like HempWorx and Zilus seem to be more reliable so if you're testing the concept try them first. If they fail, no point trying cheaper ones, if the work you might try cheaper ones.
Turmeric - which you can combine with any of the above pills.
Magnesium - if muscle cramps or spasm is an issue - and you can just soak in it (takes at LEAST 30 minutes to absorb though) as Epsom Salts in the tub.
Topicals:

a) salicylates - 'warm' and fairly rapid to help usually. (Icy Hot)
b) menthols - 'cool' and also fairly rapid but usually not as potent - use if salicylates fail. (Bio-Freeze)
c) capsacins - 'hot' and work some at first, but regular use builds up a numbness to an area that lasts (until you quit using the stuff). (Capsacin-P)
d) histamines - I don't know how they feel, and haven't used them on anyone yet due to cost. (Australian Dream)
e) combinations - like Pain Wizard (get it off the internet) are some of the best options - my wife swears by Pain Wizard and I like it too.

Don't forget that heat can help, but don't sleep on a heating pad.

Finally, a prescription muscle relaxer at bedtime can get you good sleep and you wake up healed better (because the tense muscles can't heal while you sleep due to the internal pressure being too high for blood to enter - the muscle relaxer fixes that), and the next day less sore.

And as long as a person isn't the type who wants to take a handful of pills to get high, among the SAFEST pain medications are actually the [wicked, evil] 'opioids' or 'narcotics' - they have less side effects than most of the 'safer alternatives' we are urged to prescribe (elavil, cymbalta, gabapentin, lyrica, tramadol, diclofenac, etc.). The only reason they are with such a bad reputation is that SOME people take tons of them recreationally.....the people dying of 'opioid overdoses' are NOT typically the patient who forgot, or had a flare-up, and took six pills rather than four - they are typically taking twenty-six instead of four, and taking them with several other drugs their doctor (or neighbor) gave them, along with a pint or two of whiskey. However, the point is moot, as the way things are now, doctors would rather kill your liver and kidneys and have you mentally foggy with a bunch of 'non-opioids', versus the hassle and DEA trouble you get into whenever you write any prescriptions for hydrocodone or whatever.

Keep in mind that most hydrocodones and many oxycodones have acetaminophen in them, so you need to take that into account. I'd keep your acetaminophen total under 2,000 mg daily if possible, but up to 3,000 mg on occasion is ok. I'm more chicken than some doctors on that, because I'm afraid people might have liver frailty I'm unaware of.

It is ALWAYS best to check with your pharmacist and/or physician before taking anything for more than a few days. They can also do tests to be sure your liver and kidney is not being harmed, or even genetic tests that might predict how you will respond to medications.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks Doc, I'll take the safest combo in moderation. But sometimes it takes a thousand mg or more to knock it back. . .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Because acetaminophen and alcohol combine to cause a particularly nasty toxin that causes liver cancer before it shows signs of hepatitus, I try to warn customers to avoid alcohol and Tylenol within 24 hours of each other. If you take NSAIDS, get your kidneys checked. Tylenol is not an NSAID. It does absolutely nothing on inflammation. If you need medicine for chronic pain, Check with Earl Mindell and your Doctor.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

thanks piller. I don't drink alcohol and will be careful with the rest.