old side by side fowling piece.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

old side by side fowling piece.....

Post by Ray »

I picked up a L.C. Smith/Hunter Arms hammer gun, 30" full/full, fluid steel double 12 ga. the other day,

ser. no. 54,000 ish......

old enough to ship straight from gunshop in maine to my door.....

seller thought that the buttstock had been replaced in the 1930s.....

still locks up with a snick and lever is only a hair starboard of center

plan to use a pair of 28 ga. insert tubes.....

your thoughts and or advice.....
Last edited by Ray on Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: old side by side fowling piece.....

Post by GunnyMack »

Sounds just fine to me! I'd shoot it as much as possible- pics please!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If the bores are not badly pitted and it's still on the face, I would just use 1oz black powder cartridges. I have used factory black powder shells, sometimes you can even see if you have hit anything... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:49 pm If the bores are not badly pitted and it's still on the face, I would just use 1oz black powder cartridges. I have used factory black powder shells, sometimes you can even see if you have hit anything... :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If the barrels are sound I’d shoot my low pressure smokeless handloads if it were mine . If you don’t handload RST makes low pressure 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 inch shells .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

+1

Given that it was made just prior to the 1926 industry-wide ammunition upgrades (which forced makers like Ithaca to replace their guns with a different/newer/stronger design), I would respectfully suggest taking 6-pt's suggestion about low-powered loads seriously.

Since I never reloaded shotshells, I use RST low-powered loads in my ca.1914 Ithaca Flues .28ga SxS & my 20ga European hammergun.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The funny thing is with low pressure loads is I find I do just as well with them as with anything else!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nath wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:14 am The funny thing is with low pressure loads is I find I do just as well with them as with anything else!
Kinda like 28 gauge phenomenon ! Most folks will do as well with a 28 as they do with a 20 and usually as well as they do with a 12 .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

6pt-sika wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:27 am
Nath wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:14 am The funny thing is with low pressure loads is I find I do just as well with them as with anything else!
Kinda like 28 gauge phenomenon ! Most folks will do as well with a 28 as they do with a 20 and usually as well as they do with a 12 .
Absolutely :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's because the 28 gauge load is a 'square' or pert near a square... diameter of shot is equal to its length.
28s normally throw patterns that rival or exceed the larger bores.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:44 pm That's because the 28 gauge load is a 'square' or pert near a square... diameter of shot is equal to its length.
Personally, I gave up believing that myth years ago brother.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nath I shoot Olympic trap, we are now down to 24 gram loads (13/16 oz ) in 12 ga guns. I started shooting it back in the 80s when you could still use 1&1/4 oz, then everyone crabbed about 1&1/8, then about 1 oz- know what- scores haven't gone down.
I believe in the square. I know when I play with my 28 I break targets that a little old sub gauge isn't supposed to . Yesterday shooting ZZ Birds I broke a 12/20 with my new 12 ga model 23( new learning curve) but I broke a 10/10 with my 28 and 3/4 oz loads compared to my 24 gr bunker load.
Either way the 28 is a great bore !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:42 pm Nath I shoot Olympic trap, we are now down to 24 gram loads (13/16 oz ) in 12 ga guns. I started shooting it back in the 80s when you could still use 1&1/4 oz, then everyone crabbed about 1&1/8, then about 1 oz- know what- scores haven't gone down.
I believe in the square. I know when I play with my 28 I break targets that a little old sub gauge isn't supposed to . Yesterday shooting ZZ Birds I broke a 12/20 with my new 12 ga model 23( new learning curve) but I broke a 10/10 with my 28 and 3/4 oz loads compared to my 24 gr bunker load.
Either way the 28 is a great bore !
Sure sure, I shoot light loads too but the un-square loads of yesteryear as you mentioned still worked and work well they do.
I ain't against a "square" load at all but some folk jabber on about how important it is when don't believe it is.
What I do give more weight to....no pun intended...is shot size per bore or guage size!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yes that's true, I'm not fond of 4s from a 410 but one of mine loves 5s. The new one likes 7 & narfs and 6s.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:11 pm Yes that's true, I'm not fond of 4s from a 410 but one of mine loves 5s. The new one likes 7 & narfs and 6s.
Sure, I don't like English fives from a 12g but #6&#4 absolutely and #7, #7narfs.
I like #7 in 410 in preference to #7narfs. I don't like #6 in 410.

#5 seemed better in 20g for me than in 12g.

I remember seeing an old chart with diagrams illustrating how the pellets lay across the bore and how the next layer can settle on top and so on. Some sizes per bore end up with irregular layers etc.
Anyway I think that is more important than column height. Then there is wad choice, that can change everything.......
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:44 pm That's because the 28 gauge load is a 'square' or pert near a square... diameter of shot is equal to its length.
“Supposedly” the three most ballisitcally efficient loads are the 10 gauge 2 7/8” with 1 1/4 ounce , the 16 with an ounce and the 28 with 3/4 ounce . In the last 30-35 years I’ve not seen anything to disprove that :wink:
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Santa Claus in the brown suit/sleigh stopped by and it is now a .45 :)

https://www.opticsplanet.com/chiappa-fi ... nsert.html

Had to,..... er I mean got to watch the youngest grandson today so maybe I can try it tomrrow.
m.A.g.a. !