S&W 629-6 Deluxe 45 Colt Conversion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

S&W 629-6 Deluxe 45 Colt Conversion

Post by Scrateshooter »

I had Jack Huntington convert a LNIB S&W 629-6 Deluxe from 44 Magnum to 45 Colt, the conversion took nine months from drop off to pick up from my FFL.

Now I need a matching S&W 629-6 Deluxe in 44 Magnum.

I took it out and put 58 rounds of my preferred 45 Colt loads (8.5gr Unique) though it and it was sighted spot on for turtle eradication work. Jack Huntington did a good job cutting the cylinders for lead loads. There was no sign of leading with the loads used (though my S&W 25-13 & 25-15 don't lead either) compared to my newer S&W 629-6.

Since it was LNIB it needs to be broke in like the 10 shot 617 I bought new recently.

So far I don't plan on trying to blow it up since these grips aren't the most comfortable for stout loads.

I just turned 40, so that's the last of us; I don't reckon many millennials and hipsters will be requesting 45 Colt revolvers nor reloading for them.
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: S&W 629-6 Deluxe 45 Colt Conversion

Post by Ray »

BRAVO ZULU !
m.A.g.a. !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like that! Reading your story made me visualize an old head revolver/cast bullet guy like me. 40 y.o.? Surprised the hell out of me...didn't think any youngsters even knew what a 45 L. Colt was, let alone a revolver.

Was there a barrel change or a rebore/rerifle? What are the throats?

Looks like a quality job and you certainly know your 45 L. Colt loads...8-9 gr. of Unique with a 260 Keith has served me well for over 40 years...or longer than you've been alive. :D

Only had one modern 45 L. Colt D.A, a 'Smith 25-2 wth .457 throats...j-u-n-k......dozens of single actions....My current d.a.'s in 45 L.Colt are 1878 and New Sevice Colts like the one in the avatar.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Right on! That's about the only way to get one that shoots good without fussing with. Neither Ruger nor S&W has ever figured out the 45Colt; one makes the throats too small and the other makes them too large. Very frustrating.
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Post by Scrateshooter »

The barrel was removed and sent off to re-bore (that's what took so long). I'm not sure what the throats are cut at, but I remember Jack discussing it and they are cut so I don't get any leading like some other revolvers I've dealt with.
"Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand." Revelation 1:3
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Looks like they did good work for you. Congratulations.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice. Jack does great work. Know him well. He also does custom single actions with the cylinders bored through the frame. I shot one in 50.Special he did when ge was here in Lancaster.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Nice! A clean bit of work.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The .45 Colt with Keith style bullets doesn't need to be hot-rodded to be effective.
I like my Ruger Blackhawk with the 2 cylinders. The .45 ACP cylinder is as accurate as anything I have ever fired, and the .45 Colt cylinder is no slouch. We all have our preferences.

I hope your 629 is all you could ever ask it to be.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 pm I like that! Reading your story made me visualize an old head revolver/cast bullet guy like me. 40 y.o.? Surprised the hell out of me...didn't think any youngsters even knew what a 45 L. Colt was, let alone a revolver.

Was there a barrel change or a rebore/rerifle? What are the throats?

Looks like a quality job and you certainly know your 45 L. Colt loads...8-9 gr. of Unique with a 260 Keith has served me well for over 40 years...or longer than you've been alive. :D

Only had one modern 45 L. Colt D.A, a 'Smith 25-2 wth .457 throats...j-u-n-k......dozens of single actions....My current d.a.'s in 45 L.Colt are 1878 and New Sevice Colts like the one in the avatar.----6
Today's young folks don't know anything that doesn't come out of a smart phone. If suddenly they all quit working there would be mobs of stupefied idjits milling around in glassy eyed panic.

Back in the 70's I picked up a Lyman 454424 mold and started casting serious .45 Colt bullets. With wheel weights they came out at 268 grs. Those bullets over 9.0 Unique has been my go-to load for my .45 Colt revolvers and rifles since then.

My 1981-ish S&W 25-2 also has the .457 throats. WORST shooting revolver I own. I keep it only cos I keep hoping to find a later cylinder with smaller throats. I guess I'm stubborn.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Leverluver wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:07 pm Right on! That's about the only way to get one that shoots good without fussing with. Neither Ruger nor S&W has ever figured out the 45Colt; one makes the throats too small and the other makes them too large. Very frustrating.
The cylinders with oversized throats have to be replaced. Those like Ruger's undersized ones can be reamed to .4525 and will shoot great.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scrateshooter wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:22 pm Image

I had Jack Huntington convert a LNIB S&W 629-6 Deluxe from 44 Magnum to 45 Colt, the conversion took nine months from drop off to pick up from my FFL.

Now I need a matching S&W 629-6 Deluxe in 44 Magnum.

I took it out and put 58 rounds of my preferred 45 Colt loads (8.5gr Unique) though it and it was sighted spot on for turtle eradication work. Jack Huntington did a good job cutting the cylinders for lead loads. There was no sign of leading with the loads used (though my S&W 25-13 & 25-15 don't lead either) compared to my newer S&W 629-6.

Since it was LNIB it needs to be broke in like the 10 shot 617 I bought new recently.

So far I don't plan on trying to blow it up since these grips aren't the most comfortable for stout loads.

I just turned 40, so that's the last of us; I don't reckon many millennials and hipsters will be requesting 45 Colt revolvers nor reloading for them.
Scrateshooter,
Nice pistol. That idea I could get along with just fine.

Millennials don't know anything that isn't beamed into their heads by the electronic brain washing smart phones.

Joe
Hairtrigger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hairtrigger »

That is nice!
Now I have to forget this post before I decide I need one
I am one gun away from happy
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hairtrigger wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 am That is nice!
That which has been seen cannot be unseen. :)

Joe
Scrateshooter
Levergunner

Post by Scrateshooter »

Hairtrigger wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 am That is nice!
By the time I got this one in my hands I decided I did not need it and I could make due by loading 45 ACP up to 45 autorim specs and shoot deer/hog with it.

Your wants and needs can change a bit over nine months. I still want a Mustang Bullitt in Highland Green.

This may be the last conversion for me.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Wow, gorgeous gun and its nice it is marked .45 Colt..... Tidd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is a sweet looking gun! :mrgreen:

Sixgun, Y2K just turned 21 in May. One of his favorite rounds is the .45 Colt. There is hope yet! :D