Anyone use a satellite phone...?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Anyone use a satellite phone...?

Post by AJMD429 »

My son is out of cellular service most of the time, but I thought a satellite phone could be an answer. I think I knew someone with one 10-15 years ago, and it was $3,000 and calls expensive. Now I see plans in the $1,000 or less range per YEAR.... :?:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anyone use a satellite phone...?

Post by GunnyMack »

Buddy of mine used to rent a sat phone when we went to our Quebec fish camp. The rental fee wasn't terrible but the calls were kinda pricey.

Not sure if a cell booster would work in his situation but that might be cheaper to try.
Heck during summer when I'm in the house my phone won't ring. I'll get voicemail then go outside to make a return call. Come winter my signal gets much better.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I have one I use on the boat to send position info to family. That's a no charge event. I used it in YT when my alternator DIED and I was out of everything range.

But I had only prepaid something like 20 min of talk time, and no way to add on over the phone that I could discover....

Yes talk time is very expensive, it wouldn't do for chatting about the night before.

AND, if I get far enough away from the equator mine won't work. I imagine there are polar orbit satellites that will.....,
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What I see are plans with 2 or 3 hours per month of talk-time (and usually unlimited text) for around a hundred bucks a month. Not good if you're a bored teenage girl on a campout with the grandparents, but that's not at all bad if you just need the phone for urgent matters or emergencies.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

The wife and sisters have been bugging me to get one. They complain that when I'm out in the desert I often don't have cell service, and "you're getting older". What they don't know is that often I have service, but I don't want to answer. I'll check the voice mail when they're done telling me about the latest "disaster".

We have come to an agreement, and I'm looking for one of the emergency location beacons.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

"What they don't know is that often I have service, but I don't want to answer."

Haha. I got away with that for a couple years out at my rifle club. Took the wife and part of the brood of grandkids there for the Independence Day picnic and fireworks and while there she noticed her phone worked just fine. Oops, busted.

Post by Rusty »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:26 am What I see are plans with 2 or 3 hours per month of talk-time (and usually unlimited text) for around a hundred bucks a month. Not good if you're a bored teenage girl on a campout with the grandparents, but that's not at all bad if you just need the phone for urgent matters or emergencies.
I don't think teenagers use phones as phones anyway. All I see them do is text anyway. They might as well be using morse code.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

i rent them up here when we go into the mine....service we use , the calls are a bit pricey but texts are free !
cable
moxford
Levergunner

Post by moxford »

One saved my butt on a SAR callout way back in the boonies - Air National Guard came and lined us out of the canyon we were searching near dusk.

I have a Delorme now - pairs with my cell phone (Bluetooth) so I can send texts back and forth via sat. Much cheaper than a Sat phone, but it's text and not voice ... and it's been many years since I was a teenager. =P

The sat-tracking breadcrumb feature is neat too; my wife can see my tracks online.

Cheers,
-mox
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

moxford wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:15 amI have a Delorme now - pairs with my cell phone (Bluetooth) so I can send texts back and forth via sat. Much cheaper than a Sat phone, but it's text and not voice ... and it's been many years since I was a teenager.
What is the exact device you have...? I will let my son and gf know about that.

moxford
Levergunner

Post by moxford »

I have the DeLorme (now Garmin) InReach.

Cheers,
-mox
moxford
Levergunner

Post by moxford »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:26 am
moxford wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:15 amI have a Delorme now - pairs with my cell phone (Bluetooth) so I can send texts back and forth via sat. Much cheaper than a Sat phone, but it's text and not voice ... and it's been many years since I was a teenager.
I have the DeLorme (now Garmin) InReach.

Cheers,
-mox
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I kinda like being out of cell service occasionally! Reminds me of those times when nobody could get ahold of me when we were doing remote generator site installs. Peaceful, and trouble free!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't even answer the landline.....don't have a cell phone either...everyone else does.....no one has ever called me to say they found a hundred dollar bill with my name on it. My BP is 120/70.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Doc, make sure your son and GF aren’t on the same plan! :mrgreen:
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

GM's OnStar is a sat based system. Could by a new car or truck and usually get a years free service. :roll: