The First Intelligent Bullet?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The First Intelligent Bullet?

Post by JimT »

CIMG6341.JPG
CIMG6344.JPG
CIMG6345.JPG
CIMG6346.JPG
CIMG6351.JPG
14354927_1043911762391449_295765650821294163_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: The First Intelligent Bullet?

Post by Pete44ru »

Here's an answer, Jim.

https://quodata.de/fileadmin/forensik_2 ... nition.pdf

We call them intelligent bullets because they recognize the hardness of the target at the moment the projectile hits it, and in nanoseconds the projectile configures accordingly.
Thus, if the target is very hard, the IQ bullet will have superior penetration while maintaining its weight and size.
If the target is ballistic gelatin, it will not over penetrate, transferring all the energy into the soft target, and breaking apart into three or four sharp fragments, each creating independent wound channels.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JimT wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:37 am "I am not sure why it's an intelligent bullet"
Marketing gimmick for mush brained idiots.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Interesting article with forensic results from a homicide from an autopsy. After reading most of the article, with the exception of the scientific description of the electron microscope findings, I have no reason to doubt the bullet's performance is much as advertised...

"Intelligent bullet" is really stretching it though. The bullet/alloy/velocity just reacts differently in different media...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Yeahbut, my hard cast PileDrivers also react differently in different media. Against a 70# lead ball they cup into the crater in a uniform thickness. in water jugs the bullet pencils through, and against steel plates they make a nose depression and bounce back.

I guess I could drill a hole thru and see what happens... some day.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

This kind of reminds me of that PMC load they had back in the 80's where the bullet was just a copper tube with a plastic gas check on it. Another gimmick that didn't last very long.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

J Miller wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:00 am This kind of reminds me of that PMC load they had back in the 80's where the bullet was just a copper tube with a plastic gas check on it. Another gimmick that didn't last very long.

Joe
They sent me some of those, back when I was writing for The New Gun Week. I shot some critters with them and you are right Joe. They did not work. The plastic wad on the base of the tube made a hole in the critter .. IF you were close enough for it to have some velocity. But the bullets just cookie cuttered through and you could not even find the wound easily. Most of the time the animal did not show any signs of being shot.

I called them and asked them if they had shot anything that was living and breathing with those bullets and they said, No, they had not. I told them they were gonna get someone killed, advertising them as a self defense round. From that point on I was dropped from their contact list. I wasn't trying to anger them. I wasn't trying to be superior. I was just reporting on how it performed for me. I still have some them in my junk.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Is it just me or does anybody else scratch their heads and wonder about the brainless masses who worship at the altar of the gelatin tests and the f.b.i. protocols?

There was once a guy on here that insisted you must use federal hst just because he had been to a demonstration of them. This was along about the time "they" started saying you might as well shoot 9mm because "they" had decided it was better than anything larger. Someone replied and said that they would just stick with tried and true brand x and "starts with four".....

No! You must use federal hst or you are irresponsible and should not be allowed to go about armed!

You don't have to watch carson or dangerfield to get a few good laughs.....Just lurk about on the various gun boards.

Case in point.....the question was asked, "what gun and load did you carry to town today?"

i honestly replied, S & W 24 with fiocchi 247 gr. .44 russian at about 540 fps.

How i was castigated.....

One camp thought too anemic.....

The jello/fbi tribe thought irresponsibly overpenitrative.....

A similar question was asked on another board. My reply was xds .45 and hardball.....You could almost hear the sawing and hammering as they erected the gibbet.....
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

But ...
It HAS to be good!
It worked very well in jello.

ahahahaha
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JimT wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:43 pm
J Miller wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:00 am This kind of reminds me of that PMC load they had back in the 80's where the bullet was just a copper tube with a plastic gas check on it. Another gimmick that didn't last very long.

Joe
They sent me some of those, back when I was writing for The New Gun Week. I shot some critters with them and you are right Joe. They did not work. The plastic wad on the base of the tube made a hole in the critter .. IF you were close enough for it to have some velocity. But the bullets just cookie cuttered through and you could not even find the wound easily. Most of the time the animal did not show any signs of being shot.

I called them and asked them if they had shot anything that was living and breathing with those bullets and they said, No, they had not. I told them they were gonna get someone killed, advertising them as a self defense round. From that point on I was dropped from their contact list. I wasn't trying to anger them. I wasn't trying to be superior. I was just reporting on how it performed for me. I still have some them in my junk.
I never shot any living things with those bullets, but what I did shoot left me less than impressed. About the only thing they did good was cut holes in paper targets.

Joe
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Weird. I posted a reply to this thread yesterday, and today it's gone? So here it is again.

I have multiple concerns with this "alloy" bullet. First being what the heck is it made of? And then how hard is it, and how will that hardness affect the rifling on my guns? I'd like to see a Brinnell hardness test on it before I shoot it down my barrel and end up prematurely wearing out my rifling.
And as a lightweight bullet, how stable is it beyond defensive ranges? Will it begin to destablize soon after exiting the barrel and shoot inaccurately? My guess is it will, and probably not far from the muzzle too. I'd like to see some fired groups at 10,20, and 30 yds. just to see what it does.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:00 am Weird. I posted a reply to this thread yesterday, and today it's gone? So here it is again.

I have multiple concerns with this "alloy" bullet. First being what the heck is it made of? And then how hard is it, and how will that hardness affect the rifling on my guns? I'd like to see a Brinnell hardness test on it before I shoot it down my barrel and end up prematurely wearing out my rifling.
And as a lightweight bullet, how stable is it beyond defensive ranges? Will it begin to destablize soon after exiting the barrel and shoot inaccurately? My guess is it will, and probably not far from the muzzle too. I'd like to see some fired groups at 10,20, and 30 yds. just to see what it does.
For those that replied but skipped the basic info, most answers here. Bullet is zinc alloy.
https://quodata.de/fileadmin/forensik_2 ... nition.pdf
Mike
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

If you are going to carry a gimmicky bullet, then this one might work......

very low recoil.....

penetrates many popular vests the bad guys might be wearing......

if the video link works, you can sure see how it makes the jello wiggle.....

the sight of the smoke coming out of the entrance hole is interesting....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_O5EDFQsv4

ezgif-3-fba1e0c2d424.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
m.A.g.a. !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Zinc is bad stuff to be shooting down your bore. Zinc has no lubricating qualities and will prematurely wear out your rifling. BHN of most lead bullets runs around 12 bhn, but zinc runs around 82 bhn. Not what I want in my bore. Since it's also got aluminum (15 bhn) it might be slightly softer, but still not soft enough for me to want to use them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Just wondering, from those condemning ballistic gelatin, what is a better test medium? I don't know anyone that has some cows to shoot, or can afford big chunks of beef...
Mike
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

:evil: :evil:
Mike
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

mikld wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:19 am Just wondering, from those condemning ballistic gelatin, what is a better test medium? I don't know anyone that has some cows to shoot, or can afford big chunks of beef...
Back in the 1980's I shot a lot of wild dogs. This was in the mountains of southeast Arizona. One year, between May and September I shot nearly 40. There were several dog packs in the mountains. They killed and maimed cattle, deer and decimated the rabbits. They provided a fairly good test medium for a number of bullets and loads.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I was digging through my junk and found a box of those IQ bullets. It took a while to remember how or why I acquired them. At a gun show I think I got them thrown in when I bought a gun. I have never fired them. Probably never will. Even back then, they didn't seem like a solution to a problem. I just am sort of against throwing loaded ammunition in the trash. Sooner or later I will pull the bullet and reload the cases with a good fmj.45 hardball bullet. I can use the zinc for something else. That way I can turn trash into something useful.

I have shot those high velocity Glaser style slugs at a few things. I am not impressed. A good XTP or JSP or JHP seems to do everything I need.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

JimT wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:38 am
mikld wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:19 am Just wondering, from those condemning ballistic gelatin, what is a better test medium? I don't know anyone that has some cows to shoot, or can afford big chunks of beef...
Back in the 1980's I shot a lot of wild dogs. This was in the mountains of southeast Arizona. One year, between May and September I shot nearly 40. There were several dog packs in the mountains. They killed and maimed cattle, deer and decimated the rabbits. They provided a fairly good test medium for a number of bullets and loads.
This is exactly how I developed deer loads. Look at results, adjust, etc. Thanks for posting Jim. I never ran into wild dogs in AZ, even though we spent a lot of time out of town. You did a good job!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

13-1.jpg
m.A.g.a. !