1877 Sharps Article Finished For "Rifle" Magazine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

1877 Sharps Article Finished For "Rifle" Magazine

Post by Shrapnel »

This project started over 5 years ago when I ordered my 1877 Sharps from Shiloh Rifles in Big Timber, Montana. What was expected to be a 15 month wait turned into 5 years. Finally this October, I got the rifle in time to use it for the hunting season.

I was able to shoot turkey, antelope and a deer with it. Mike Venturino and I worked on an article for "Rifle" magazine, combining my smokeless loads and hunting with his research on the 1877 and black powder loads. Once finished, the gun is magnificent and the article quite enlightening to the history and use of the rare 1877 Sharps...

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1877 Sharps Article Finished For "Rifle" Magazine

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I just read that article online the other day. Pretty nice piece of wood there. I may go back and re-read.

I'm wondering what the original purpose of the Rigby Flat was? I Googled it of course. In the case of some of the pictures shown, it seems to bring the barrel and receiver together aesthetically.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I have only used a Sharps rifle once, a retired army officer let me use his on a 200m range, to say I was VERY impressed would be a great understatement.... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Congratulations, Shrapnel. I will hunt down a copy of that issue. Gotta love a Shiloh.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:31 amCongratulations, Shrapnel. I will hunt down a copy of that issue. Gotta love a Shiloh.
+1.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's the whole article available online. A great read!

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/ ... rtial5.pdf

There's also a great write up on color case hardening by Mike Venturino, featuring the work done by Al Springer. I've used Al for quite some time now, and it's nice to see his work recognized by this article.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 am Here's the whole article available online. A great read!

There's also a great write up on color case hardening by Mike Venturino, featuring the work done by Al Springer. I've used Al for quite some time now, and it's nice to see his work recognized by this article.
Pack hardening is a much nicer and harder to achieve finish. It is worth it though. Al is really an exceptional guy and his work is exceptional as well. He is a knowledgeable guy and easy to deal with...
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Are the pic of the pages creating an optical allusion or is the rifle sort of an 1877 saddle rifle?
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Leverluver wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:39 pm Are the pic of the pages creating an optical allusion or is the rifle sort of an 1877 saddle rifle?

This is the original photo, it is an 1877 rifle...

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Kirk, if you could own just one single-shot rifle, would this one be it? I know, tough question! 8)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Shrapnel wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:16 am
marlinman93 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:54 am Here's the whole article available online. A great read!

Pack hardening is a much nicer and harder to achieve finish. It is worth it though. Al is really an exceptional guy and his work is exceptional as well. He is a knowledgeable guy and easy to deal with...
Couldn't agree more about Al! I've used his services for years, and it's comforting to know whatever I want will be done exactly as I noted. Only time anything changes is if Al wants to make it better, and calls me to ask if he can spend some time on this or that. Of course I always agree with him as I know he wont ask if it isn't needed.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Love articles like this!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Does Al Springer have a webpage ?
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

6pt-sika wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:21 pm Does Al Springer have a webpage ?
Yes, as mentioned in the article.