Marlin 990

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 990

Post by Nath »

Well folks I got me one of the above.
They were only made between 79 & 87 apparently.
It's a great shooter and very reliable. I particularly like the cycling. I am not a fan of a lot of auto 22's by their cycling sensation but these are sweet.
Accuracy is excellent too.
Got two bunnies today. One at 47 (photo) and one at something like 130 yards.

Oh, the glasses are for big brothers benefit not you guys.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Marlin 990

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice going whoever you are....... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Please tell me you aint gonna go all "tactical" along with spray and pray! :lol: todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:33 pm Please tell me you aint gonna go all "tactical" along with spray and pray! :lol: todd/3leg
By the time I get on my knees to pray, pray and get up again the shooting will be over any way!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

That's a very nice looking riffel, looks a lot like the model 60- yes they are great 22s. When I lived out in Colorado I kept my 22s sighted in for 100, 6000 ft elevation (sure helps rimfires ) and would use it out to 200 with about a prarie dog of hold over while shooting up the dog towns.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Not bad Nath......you look like Elton John with those "glasses". (I still prefer the "fox look".). -----6
Model A Uzi’s
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I had the Glenfield Mdl 60 version of that rifle back in the late 70s. Shot great and functioned well too.
It was stolen and although I'd love to get another, I never have.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm Not bad Nath......you look like Elton John with those "glasses". (I still prefer the "fox look".). -----6
That's it Six!! Perfect idea for you Nath you need to photoshop a fox head onto yourself when posting pics!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:13 pm

That's a very nice looking riffel, looks a lot like the model 60- yes they are great 22s.

It looks like you grabbed a nice specimen, Nath !

And, yes - Marlin made literally dozens of "different" models (names/numbers/stock design/stock material/etc), all using the same action.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Who was that masked man ?

Hioooo Silver away. :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm
Sixgun wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:24 pm Not bad Nath......you look like Elton John with those "glasses". (I still prefer the "fox look".). -----6
That's it Six!! Perfect idea for you Nath you need to photoshop a fox head onto yourself when posting pics!
Oh man! My sickness is rubbing off on you Gunny. But....that would be perfect......Nath wearing a fox hat with a bullet hole through the forehead.....the foxes head mind you......we can't lose any pro gun guys from the big island. We could rename Nath "Nathan Crockett"....King of the English Frontier.!---6
Model A Uzi’s
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sixgun wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:22 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm
Oh man! My sickness is rubbing off on you Gunny. But....that would be perfect......Nath wearing a fox hat with a bullet hole through the forehead.....the foxes head mind you......we can't lose any pro gun guys from the big island. We could rename Nath "Nathan Crockett"....King of the English Frontier.!---6
Ok ok. Drop the fox head thing now. Step away from the fox head ,big Island and frontier thing.
Besides, it's more like a jungle, like the one Guns n Roses describe!!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have an old Marlin Glenfield 60 which looks similar. It hasn't been fired in years. I probably need to get it cleaned well enough to remove the lead buildup. It used to shoot accurately, but not anymore.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

piller wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:53 am I have an old Marlin Glenfield 60 which looks similar. It hasn't been fired in years. I probably need to get it cleaned well enough to remove the lead buildup. It used to shoot accurately, but not anymore.
You not been putting Remington ammo through it have you :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The 990 Marlin is the same tried and true action used for many decades in the Model 60. The Model 60 design has spawned a great number of other models of Marlin .22RF rifles, and will just keep chugging along reliably if it just gets occasional cleaning and maintenance.
I bought a Model 60 in 1968 and had it up until a couple years ago when my youngest daughter asked if she could have it someday? I gave it to her then so she wont have to wait until I'm gone to enjoy it. It still functions perfectly, and is very accurate.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My MagTec 2270 is a cheap knock off of the Marlin action, for a cheap semi auto .22 it is pretty smooth. I always wanted the Marlin 60 they made with a M1 style stock. The 990 looks like a quality rifle.... :mrgreen:
IMG_20170523_111331.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Been working on the trigger today. Must be half the weight and still on standard springs.
It strips down easier than a 1022 too.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nath wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:43 am
piller wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:53 am I have an old Marlin Glenfield 60 which looks similar. It hasn't been fired in years. I probably need to get it cleaned well enough to remove the lead buildup. It used to shoot accurately, but not anymore.
No, Winchester.
D. Brian Casady
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

piller wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:11 am
No, Winchester.
I have run 100 t22 through it and they are not very good but the Winchester lasers are excellent.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nath wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:10 am
No, Winchester.
I have run 100 t22 through it and they are not very good but the Winchester lasers are excellent.
I used to only use the Federal 36 grain copper plated HP, and it was as accurate as I could ask for it to be, then the shortages hit. I ran about 100 Winchester through it and it has never shot accurately since. I tried Ed's red to get the lead out. No luck. I have avoided anything that is non FMJ by Winchester since that time.
D. Brian Casady
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

piller wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:22 am
Nath wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:10 am

No, Winchester.
I used to only use the Federal 36 grain copper plated HP, and it was as accurate as I could ask for it to be, then the shortages hit. I ran about 100 Winchester through it and it has never shot accurately since. I tried Ed's red to get the lead out. No luck. I have avoided anything that is non FMJ by Winchester since that time.
Interesting and noted.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

That's some darn fine shootin' with that blindfold on!
Slow is just slow.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

cas wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:20 pm That's some darn fine shootin' with that blindfold on!
8)

Did an experiment yesterday.
The lightest of oiling resulted in ejection failures and feeding issues.
The oil withing 50 rounds had turned to sticky gunk!
Cleaned and run dry, back to normal!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Which brand of ammunition?
D. Brian Casady
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

piller wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:07 am Which brand of ammunition?
Two
Fiocchi and rws.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nath wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:43 am
piller wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:07 am Which brand of ammunition?
Two
Fiocchi and rws.
I don't know anything about RWS, but Fiocchi is often available near me. I find it to be dirty. The powder they use in all 3 calibers I have tried leaves a lot of residue. It is a little cheaper than some, but the extra cleaning time is not always worth it.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Too bad you are not closer to Texas. I have good results with CCI and Browning .22lr, and they are easily obtained near me. The Federal copper plated is available from time to time now. It gives top results for me in my Ruger MkII with a 6 inch tapered barrel and my 10/22 standard model. My Son's 10/22 likes CCI brand.
D. Brian Casady
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Nice picture, umm... George. Thanks again for sharing,

I know a fellow just south of me that takes folks out on hog hunts. They bring every manner of centerfire loudenboomer known to man. His standard backup rifle is his Marlin .22 mag. Everything that starts to run gets a single .22 mag right in the noodle. They always stop.

I think Florida hunters are the most overgunned people anywhere.

Congratulations.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

piller wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:25 am Too bad you are not closer to Texas. I have good results with CCI and Browning .22lr, and they are easily obtained near me. The Federal copper plated is available from time to time now. It gives top results for me in my Ruger MkII with a 6 inch tapered barrel and my 10/22 standard model. My Son's 10/22 likes CCI brand.
Yes, can get CCI and federal. Will as and when.
The fiocchi ain't to bad. I'm use to black powder so any smokeless seems positively clean to me!

Shooting the gun in the dark on its side so the the firing cycle can be observed reveals an orange flame and combustion material being vented into the action.
That happens with any cartridge in this context.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Aguila 30 gr super max velocity shells have nice ball of flame at dusk. Are those available at a reasonable price there! Its funny to hear people whine about dirty ammo, i akways wanna slip them some shells loaded with BP just to shiw them what dirty is. Have you seen Hickock45 do the Glock shooting with BP ammo?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:58 am Aguila 30 gr super max velocity shells have nice ball of flame at dusk. Are those available at a reasonable price there! Its funny to hear people whine about dirty ammo, i akways wanna slip them some shells loaded with BP just to shiw them what dirty is. Have you seen Hickock45 do the Glock shooting with BP ammo?
No not seen any of that ammo and not seen that Hickock45 video....yet.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath, my wife and I will be wandering around the northern half of Scotland in October. That's quite a ways from where you live, but I figured I'd let you know just in case, by some wild stroke of luck, you happened to already be up there for some other reason, maybe we could meet at a pub.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

KirkD wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:19 pm Nath, my wife and I will be wandering around the northern half of Scotland in October. That's quite a ways from where you live, but I figured I'd let you know just in case, by some wild stroke of luck, you happened to already be up there for some other reason, maybe we could meet at a pub.
Hello old friend.
Nice to hear from you again.
How are you all?

I doubt we will be up there Kirk.
Do you know where about a you are visiting?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 pm Hello old friend.
Nice to hear from you again.
How are you all?

I doubt we will be up there Kirk.
Do you know where about a you are visiting?

N.
Nath, we'll be flying in and out of Glasgow, and that's the furthest south we'll be. From there we're heading up to the Skye area for some hiking, and areas around the central highlands. I think we arrive Sept 29th and fly back to Canada on October 9th. If some wild stroke of luck takes you up to Glasgow or parts north, by all means let me know and maybe we can meet somewhere.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8) your in for a treat.
I will keep it in mind but I am sure you won't need me to have a fantastic time.
All the best Kirk.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:52 pm 8) your in for a treat.
I will keep it in mind but I am sure you won't need me to have a fantastic time.
All the best Kirk.
That is certainly true. Touring old castles, hiking along beautiful trails in the highlands, we are going to have a wonderful time.
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

wow ..... a Marlin 990 ?? that thing is older than I am ..... well, maybe not.

Amazingly enough, I have one !! And I can't get it to fire 100% every time I pull the trigger. It's been been cleaned and re-cleaned, oiled and re-oiled, adjusted and re-adjusted. Everything functions just like it should ..... and sometimes when the trigger is pulled it does not fire. I load 18, it will fire 18. Then I load 15 and 1 will not fire. Just yesterday I loaded 13 and got 4 no-fires ..... then loaded 15 and all 15 fired.

And the Glenfield Model 60 ?? It is "relatively identical" to the Marlin 990. And I have a Glenfield Model 60. It fires all the time, every time, never ever a no-fire.

Both are great rifles !!!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

new pig hunter wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:43 pm wow ..... a Marlin 990 ?? that thing is older than I am ..... well, maybe not.

Amazingly enough, I have one !! And I can't get it to fire 100% every time I pull the trigger. It's been been cleaned and re-cleaned, oiled and re-oiled, adjusted and re-adjusted. Everything functions just like it should ..... and sometimes when the trigger is pulled it does not fire. I load 18, it will fire 18. Then I load 15 and 1 will not fire. Just yesterday I loaded 13 and got 4 no-fires ..... then loaded 15 and all 15 fired.

And the Glenfield Model 60 ?? It is "relatively identical" to the Marlin 990. And I have a Glenfield Model 60. It fires all the time, every time, never ever a no-fire.

Both are great rifles !!!!
Could the firing pin on the 990 be a thousandth or two short? Could it have a peened spot on the breechface that allows fot what acts like a short strike? Just throwing some possibilities out to be checked and maybe dismissed.
D. Brian Casady
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Interesting. Added oil to mine and it played up!
Degreased it so it's dry again and it works again.
Mine definitely needs a few thou more pin travel, next job.
I also noticed that any debris on the breech face or bolt face causes issues. Fortunately my Mrs toothbrush fits perfectly.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Nath wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:19 am Interesting. Added oil to mine and it played up!
I also noticed that any debris on the breech face or bolt face causes issues. Fortunately my Mrs toothbrush fits perfectly.
Wow! Better make sure the Mrs. does not find out you are using her toothbrush to clean guns with! :) :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Beaker wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:55 pm
Nath wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:19 am Interesting. Added oil to mine and it played up!
Wow! Better make sure the Mrs. does not find out you are using her toothbrush to clean guns with! :) :)
:lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Let's all hope that she doesn't read this thread. Nath might not be able to post until he recovers.
D. Brian Casady
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I added a few more thou of pin travel last night. Pin still does not contact the barrel.
There did appear to be an improved impression on the cases over the previous ones.
The reason I did this was due to the rws ammo! Not any fault with the rws ammo. In fact it has been flawless in the Brno but in the marlin I would get squibs and once a delayed ignition!
Unfortunately I have no rws left to test. That's ok though as I don't want to use wet lubed bullets in this auto.
Now have the trigger how I want it, lighter but safe and on standard springs.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

On my 990, there is plenty of firing pin length. There is plenty of firing pin travel, and the firing pin itself has been smoothed to ensure no-hangup travel in it's slot.

Breech is nice and flat, and inspected with magnifying glasses and straight edges.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

So. The squirrels are on the move again over here and the Marlin is ticking along nicely.
IMG_20190621_111612.jpg
I put a scope on it to test its accuracy and sure enough it is very impressive!

I intend to remove the scope but keep it in battery, ready for night time duties!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Just to update for new pig hunter.....I realized recently the wire case ejector length is crucial to function!
It is the other end of the cartridge lifter spring.
If it is exposed to early in the rear motion of the bolt it affects the ejection and the collection of the next round.
I don't know how I did it but once I carefully reshaped it normal service returned!
Hope this helps some one.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

UPDATE ..... 17 JULY 2019

The short story is that with Nath's help, my own Marlin 990 is now working just fine !!!! We've been sharing notes back & forth, and just the other day he said, "change the recoil spring."

Now, I have a Glenfield Model 60 rifle, which is "identical" to the 990. So Nath said, "Hey, why not. You've cleaned and smoothed everything in the 990. You've installed both a new hammer spring and a new firing pin, and neither of those fixed it. And there's no reason the recoil spring should fix it, which is all the more reason to try it."
-- So 10 minutes later, the Glenfield recoil spring was installed into the 990 and I was on my way to the range ..... and SUCCESS !!! I loaded 198 rounds total with zero no-fires.
-- Then this morning, with no cleaning, I fired another 162 rounds, and had 2 no-fires. Not sure about that, but I'm plenty happy.

This morning Nath and I e-chatted a bit more and we are both in agreement that the recoil spring was the fixit !!!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's great :D did you notice anything different about the recoil springs when you changed them?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hey it was fun.
How did the springs compare?
I wonder if someone had replaced it with a subtle difference like wire thickness.
I know guys over here run sub sonic ammo all the time and any cyclic issues they foolishly cut the spring length!

What is overlooked is bolt bounce! Any slight bolt bounce and even the slightest failure to completely return fully to the barrel results in increased headspace, weaker pin strike and also messes with some designs of hammer function to the rear of the bolt.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

With my SoCal-calibrated MK I Mod 0 astygmatic eyeball, they both look identical. When the action is hand-cycled, the Glenfield spring does not feel any stiffer.

And Ebay is to the rescue: an hour ago I ordered a new recoil spring so we'll see how that works out when it arrives.