Big Power........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Big Power........

Post by .45colt »

This is for everyone who needs more thump at both ends. :shock: . If I was 40 years younger.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFLXjfiklnQ
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Big Power........

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Is he running a 350 grain bullet up to 2800fps? I don't even want to know the pressures. That seems pretty high for the 50-110. 2350fps with 350 grains is plenty stiff enough for me.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah those loads give a beating on both ends! Impressive what those did to the steel, wonder how thick it is.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Enjoyed the video!!!
But since he mentioned the 1886 .45-90, here is a tidbit or two:

My 1886 .45-90 has taken game with the Kodiak heavy jacket FMJ 450 grain bullet with a MV of 2150 fps. The energy slightly exceeds that advertised for the .475 Turnbull. Many believe that with modern bullets and powders, 450 grains is as heavy as needed for game in any .458 rifle.
My .45-90 and .405 BOTH shoot through 5/8 inch steel plate using Punch bullets. Anything over 2000 fps with the Punch seems to PUNCH through most anything, including frontal brain shots on Ele.

Our bullet testing with the 1886s easily reached 2600 fps with 300 grain bullets and a gunsmith friend tells me that he has safely reached 2800 fps with 300 grain bullets. The darned modern 1886 can be used to take any game on earth.
From the video, the same is also true for the 1886 .50- 110. Did you see the curved butt plate on the 1886 .45-90? It is all technique.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I was confused as to what he was using the Caldwell bags for. Clearly not their intended purpose.

At 2600fps, that 300 grain bullet is still in the 4500 ft-lb area. But 350 grains at 2800? That's 6000. I'm not sure I want to see that at the end of a curved butt plate.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm Is he running a 350 grain bullet up to 2800fps? I don't even want to know the pressures. That seems pretty high for the 50-110. 2350fps with 350 grains is plenty stiff enough for me.
My 375 Ruger will get around 2500 fps with a 350 grain bullet, but that's about it....

....should I feel under-gunned....???

As far as the '1886' action, the '1889' hybrid of the 1886 and 1892 Big Horn Armory calls their '89' seems capable of terrific pressures (500 S&W, 460 S&W), and so the concept IS reasonable, given modern steel and manufacturing.....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Of course there's no "need" for it but like 800 horsepower Hell Cats, someone has a "need" for it.

It's not for me or probably everyone here, except AJMD and CRS, but last I heard it's a free country. :D

Guys at our handgun silhouette matches use 460, 500, and 44 Magnum S&W handguns with full power loads. Let em....they flinch, I win using a 44 Magnum with 210 gr. cast bullets with 7.5 gr. of 231......go for the gun and cartridge that meets your "needs".----6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If needs were all, then most of us here would have one-third or even less of our current collection of firearms. I do not need both a 30-30 and a 35 remington caliber Marlin. I don't need half of my handguns. I don't need a 7mm-08. I want them. As far as my guns, some have never even been to the field. I am trying to find time to correct that.

Just don't keep a gun that you are afraid of. That is my advice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

piller wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:23 pm If needs were all, then most of us here would have one-third or even less of our current collection of firearms. I do not need both a 30-30 and a 35 remington caliber Marlin. I don't need half of my handguns. I don't need a 7mm-08. I want them.
....Blasphemy.....!!!!!!! :o
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Rimfire,
I think the bags were for protection from bullet and/or plate fragments or from a direct bounce back bullet. At Ricky's range, 86er avoided that by having the 5/8 inch thick plate suspended so that the bullet strike would move the plate and direct the bullet into the dirt below.
It was impressive to see the hole in the plate made by the .45-70 with brass Punch bullet. If it will punch that plate, no animal skull will withstand it.

Gunny,
I think the man said the steel plate was 5/8 inch thick.

Six,
Those heavy loads were intended for large and dangerous game and worked quite well for that purpose. One of the 450 Kodiaks at 2150 fps dropped a running bison for me too; as usual it was a shoot through and no bullet was recovered.

Those loads are not for plinking or target shooting and believe me, most of my North American hunting loads are tame by comparison. For instance, this big old Red Deer cow was taken a couple weeks ago with one shot from my .405 DR. A 300 grain Barnes at 2250 dropped her like, well a pole axed cow:

BTW, the smoked German sausage and the tenderloin medallions are great! Roast and steaks yet to be tried.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

CRS...I'm still impressed by your ability to work up those big loads and deliver them accurately for humane kills.....good shootin! Big loads like that make me flinch too much----6
Model A Uzi’s
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:10 pm I was confused as to what he was using the Caldwell bags for. Clearly not their intended purpose.

At 2600fps, that 300 grain bullet is still in the 4500 ft-lb area. But 350 grains at 2800? That's 6000. I'm not sure I want to see that at the end of a curved butt plate.
I got the impression he was kind of worried about the gun blowing up and that's why the bags were over the action...?

5/8"? Didn't look that thick to me, have to watch it again.

After waay too many shotgun slugs over the years. I'm with Six, too much recoil for my taste. Are those loads useful- sure for dangerous game but the average 150# whitetail all ya need is an 86 grain out of your 25-20!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

"CRS...I'm still impressed by your ability to work up those big loads and deliver them accurately for humane kills.....good shootin! Big loads like that make me flinch too much----6"

I shot that one left handed and left eyed. :)

Plus rifle weight and design:
1886 .45-90 and .405 double and .45-70 double all weigh 9+ pounds each!

For those that have fired an 1895 .405 with 300 grain factory ammo, imagine it from the bench with 400 grain DG ammo!
However, my Simson .405 double is very easy to shoot 400 grain DG loads from the bench! Stock design + weight.
In the field, all .405 ammo is easy with Simson. Note the carry sling in the picture with the Red Deer cow? Makes the 10 pounds easier to walk with.