Remington 40X

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Remington 40X

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve had a hankering for a Remington 40X in 222 REM or possibly 6x47 REM (222 REM MAG necked up to 6mm) . Have my eye on a 40X-BR in 222 that’s up for sale . I think it’s a late 60’s to late 70’s gun . If I can acquire it I’ll most certainly make it my “for fun bench gun” and try for those mythical 1/10” groups :wink: 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Remington 40X

Post by AJMD429 »

Sounds fun.....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Buddies Dad has a 40X .22lr- has to be the MOST accurate rimfire I've ever seen. Tiny bug hole groups with just about every type of ammo. You won't be disappointed if you get one.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:11 am Buddies Dad has a 40X .22lr- has to be the MOST accurate rimfire I've ever seen. Tiny bug hole groups with just about every type of ammo. You won't be disappointed if you get one.
This gun I think has a Remington 2 ounce competition trigger , which will have a getting used to curve . My CZ 527 HB 222 and Grendel have recently been changed over to RifleBasix non set triggers that are both set at 6-8 ounces . So I think the getting used to curve won’t be that acute . And if the two ounce trigger just doesn’t work for me if I’m able to obtain the rifle I can always get another Timeny like I recently put in my 700 5R 260 REM , I have that one set at 10 ounces at the moment and like it quite a bit . I didn’t used to be a trigger snob , but I suppose it evolved over time . :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Only thing I’m afraid of getting this 222 is going to be me wanting to get a second one in 6x47 :roll: Years ago when I delved in the 6mm PPC I wanted to put together a bench rest pair to compete of a 22 PPC and a 6mm PPC . Now I’m a bit more nostalgic and would rather have the old darlings of the BR circuit 222 and 6x47 . I’ve almost talked myself into buying a 250 piece bag of Nosler 222 REM Mag Brass to have on hand in case I blunder across a 40X in 6x47 8)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's a rifle I wouldn't mind having. It's too bad the .222 Remington has all but disappeared. I have an older Sako that will put 5 rounds into a nickel sized group at 100 yds if I do my part. It's been my woodchuck/ varmint rifle since I was a teenager.

Good luck bagging the Remington!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Back when I was in gummsmiff skool I found a Remington 600 Mohawk action , I put an air gauged Douglas on it , chambered it for 22-250. Timney trigger that is set at ounces, blasted a bunch of p-dogs with it. Sadly no place to shoot ground hogs here anymore.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

6pt-sika wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:29 pm
GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:11 am Buddies Dad has a 40X .22lr- has to be the MOST accurate rimfire I've ever seen. Tiny bug hole groups with just about every type of ammo. You won't be disappointed if you get one.
This gun I think has a Remington 2 ounce competition trigger , which will have a getting used to curve . My CZ 527 HB 222 and Grendel have recently been changed over to RifleBasix non set triggers that are both set at 6-8 ounces . So I think the getting used to curve won’t be that acute . And if the two ounce trigger just doesn’t work for me if I’m able to obtain the rifle I can always get another Timeny like I recently put in my 700 5R 260 REM , I have that one set at 10 ounces at the moment and like it quite a bit . I didn’t used to be a trigger snob , but I suppose it evolved over time . :lol:
That 2 oz trigger is something else. I had a 40X with it. The trigger was totally worthless for any sort of varmint hunting, but for a pure dedicated benchrest gun it was fantastic. You can almost breath on it and it's gone.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have one in 223 that was made in 1989 and it shoots 1/4" groups at 100 yards with 55 grain power lokt hollow points.