Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Watch Out For Windows 10 - 1903 System Update: It Takes Hours!!

Post by AJMD429 »

I didn't even know they had computers in 1903.... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:11 pm I didn't even know they had computers in 1903.... :D
Doc...your sicker than me.....i like that!

Nothing has made me happier since I ditched our computers and went Apple iPad........the tablet for idiots.--6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Word: I-Mac :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Windows 10?

I gave my fancy new W10 laptop to my grandson and stayed on W7.

One day next year W7 support will be dropped and then maybe I will change. :(
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Oh no. Does this mean when I try to use my cheapy Lenovo laptop in a motel, I won't be able to get on line for days? I hate Windows. Use an iMac at home.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Windoz forced Win 10 on my after I refused it 3 different times. I had to uninstall it and download a program called NEVER 10 to protect myself.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

long live linux

even though I do use win10 and actually like it for what I use it for

but now my VPN runs on ubuntu so I can do the financial stuff on linux again
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Whatever all the above means... I'm glad it's workin' for ya! My laptop and android tablet seem none the worse for all the denigration everyone likes to heap on 'em! :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Steve, you should ditch that rotational drive and move to a SATA SSD or, if you've got the port, an NVMe SSD. Nothing changed my view of Windows more than that one move to new solid state drive technology. I'm in Win10/Pro about 3.5 seconds after my machine powers on.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Love my big old desktop iMac after using Windows machines at home and at work for years, where they drove us all crazy.
That said, hat's off to Steve for the update warning. I am going through the update process here at home on my laptop so I won't be grinding my teeth on a trip next week.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Just checked my update history. Last update was 1805. Doesn't even show a 1903 as being available. Is this a new machine? Did you not update for a long period on an older machine?

Or there is the other possibility. Your computer doesn't like you! :lol: These things do have a mind of their own. I personally think artificial intelligence is already here and is just hiding until it finds all of our weakness'. :roll:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I installed version 1903 yesterday. It does take some time. If it isn't offered in settings yet you can ask for it. Something like 'advanced'. I've tried apple software, don't care for it.

underneath apple's operating system is unix, similar to the way that android sits on top of linux...

I still like that I can get into the win registry and totally frustrate the msft script kiddies... :lol:
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Though it's not very straightforward, these updates can be put off. I was on 1709 for a log time and just moved to 1903 recently ... on my own schedule. It's unfortunate that some of these enormous updates are set to d/l and install automatically.

In the command bar, type 'gpedit.msc' and hit enter. Go into (in the left pane) Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update. Then in the right pane, double click on Configure Automatic Updates item. There are several controls in that pane to customize the way Automatic Updates work for the system. The Group Policies are typically used by businesses to obtain tighter control over their systems and not be at the whim of Microsoft as to updates and frequency of checks.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sun May 30, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

BTW, I'm not paying the exorbitant price of Apple products just to have and "I" something. Yes, they work well but the premium price Apple charges for it's products in no way is justified in my opinion. Yes, I've used Macs and I-Phones and I-Pads and you can have them.
Be my guest to continue to have issues...all kinds of issues. Don't be a cheapskate, Steve. Macs don't have issues. Don't know anything about their phones, never had one. Don't need any kind of pad, my phone works just fine for all that stuff. BTW, my I-Mac is going on 8 years old....I vaccume the dust out once a year or so and it just keeps on going. Ok, I did have to replace a cooling fan.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

My machine is loading 1809, which isn't large.

I've owned three laptops in the last 20 years. The first ran XP and was more reliable than the Apple Air I bought 10 years later, although neither was much trouble. The software base is far greater for Windows, and when I couldn't get a replacement battery for my Apple, I went back to Windows.

My current laptop is 1 year old and came with 10 and it's never had a hiccup. Same story with my son's laptop (now with him at college), and he's had 10 since it came out, an upgrade to the 7 it shipped with and which he used without issues for a year before the 10 update.

I don't add a lot of fancy software to my Windows machines. I was told by a Windows software developer that nearly every problem people have with Windows can be traced to third party software, usually crappy drivers from low end Asian computer makers (but sometimes from purchased software). My two laptops were from IBM (when it was an American company) and from Microsoft; perhaps that explains something.

I have a recent iPhone. It will likely be my last Apple product. It's software is inferior to the aged Windows Phone it replaced. The number of shortcomings in the iPhone are simply embarrassing for the price, as compared to the Android phones the rest of the family uses. One point in the Apple's favor is it does give longer battery life once you get all the settings right. Cursed Android is always burning data sending marketing info on you to the mother ship at google.

My brother in law maintains Apple computers as a sideline. He kind of mumbles when I ask about software updates from Apple. He does say never install an Apple update until a few months after the change in major version number. I followed his advice and never had a problem, one time skipping a major version change altogether. Windows 10 updates for more often than Apple ever did. I wonder how diligent is Apple.

update (so to speak): I had a pending minor update. With that in place, it now says a "feature" update, 1903, is ready. Those are always large and come once or twice a year. They really suck down the bandwidth on my DSL line, so I'll start that late some evening.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Windows 10 updates for more often than Apple ever did. I wonder how diligent is Apple.
Most of the Window updates are security patches that are directed toward the multitude of virus that hits Windows. I'm not saying Mac is virus-free, but it usually never happens. Therefore, updates not constantly needed. I'm just talking about computers, as I would not own an Apple phone if they were giving them away for free.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

In just the past few years, Mac users have endured a ceaseless stream of new threats, just a few of which include the Flashfake botnet, the Koobface worm and Mac Defender malware... The truth is that both Macs and PCs are very vulnerable to web threats and cyber-attacks... Apple's patch for the vulnerabilities exploited by Flashback took almost 50 days to be ready for distribution to Mac OS X users...
Admittedly, Kaspersky wants to sell you something, but similar points are made on numerous other sites. Apple is relatively secure only in that Windows is the bigger target and therefore more likely to be lucrative should a hack succeed.