leather lace on a saddle ring ,will it cause rust?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

leather lace on a saddle ring ,will it cause rust?

Post by remshooter »

back in mid 1970's my dad bought me a daisy ,winchester 94 BB gun with fake nickel, receiver with paint strips to look like engraving of curyly-q's and such and said Buffalo Bill , and a saddle ring with leather rawhide shoe lace on it ,medallion Of Buffalo Bill in stock .Found a real 1977 Winchester 94 Wells Fargo stagecoach commemrative just like it, engraved nickel receiver and all the rest ,had to get it and shoot it just like my kiddie days BB gun of course :P , anyway ,if i put a rawhide leather shoelace on it like my BB gun ,and to keep saddle ring from marring the receiver ,will it cause rust ? i know leather will sometimes do that from the tanning acid ,or whatever ,still in the leather ,do not plan on getting it wet, ...ps ,it came with the box ,with stagecoach on it ,and was never fired ,i think store owner thought i was nuts for wanting to shoot it, but since a kid always wanted a real one like it ,.oh well ,gotta relive my youth :mrgreen: ,
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: leather lace on a saddle ring ,will it cause rust?

Post by M. M. Wright »

No, the leather won't hurt it. I have one on each of my 73 SRCs, old one and a Miroku. No problems, just keep an eye on it and some Ballistol.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yes, the leather lace an cause rust on the steel ring. I once bought one of the saddle ring action screws for my Win 9422. When I took it out of the package there was the start of rust under the leather.

Unlike the pre-war versions, modern Winchester saddle rings are designed so the ring will not hit the receiver. The shoulders on the threaded base prevent that. No need for the lace.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had a leather lace on a saddle ring and didn't notice a rust problem but found the lace did get in my way.
BTW Joe you never told me your 9422 saddle ring was rusty when I bought it.... :lol: I still have it on my 9422 and it looks great.. :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The salts used in tanning leather lace will indeed cause rust on a saddle ring. If it hasn't done so on your gun it's because it's not been there long enough, or not gotten enough humidity to start the rusting process.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

It certainly can cause rust. Chrome tanned leather (which most shoelaces sold today are) is the worst for rust. Vegetable and brain tanned are.much "safer" but can still trap moisture and cause rust but unless you tanned the laces yourself I can guarantee you dont have brain tanned shoe laces.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I dunno, I've never experienced saddle ring rust on several leverguns I've put leather thongs on - but I use leather laces meant for boots, etc.

It might make a difference, though if a different leather lacing is used.

Whatever's used (IMO) looks cool, regardless.

The OP asked about using rawhide - rawhide is just that, isn't it ? (un-tanned, so acid-free)

This 9422 has had it's thong for over 10 years w/o rusting or damaging the receiver finish.

This .30-30 Trapper has had it's saddle ring thong for about as long.

Ditto, this Henry

remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by remshooter »

yea i was talking about using leather shoestrings ,you buy at the store ,i just always called them rawhide strings
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by remshooter »

Pete44ru, were did you get that slip on sling ?,i could use a few of those for my lever actions ,i dont want to drill holes in ,like my Win 1886
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:24 am I had a leather lace on a saddle ring and didn't notice a rust problem but found the lace did get in my way.
BTW Joe you never told me your 9422 saddle ring was rusty when I bought it.... :lol: I still have it on my 9422 and it looks great.. :)
Gamekeeper,
When I took it out of the package I took the lace off and cleaned the ring. It was only the start of rust so it was not noticeable. I never had the lace on it after that. When I sent it to you I put the lace back on in case you wanted it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

The purpose of a saddle ring is to accept the metal carbiner of a cavalry sling. http://confederatesaddles.com/2008/10/2 ... ine-sling/
Why leather lace?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I always thought the leather lace was just to stop the ring rattling against the receiver.
Joe, I was kidding you about the rust, the saddle ring was perfect when I received it from you and it just looks right on my Winchester, handy as the takedown screw too 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

As others have pointed out, yes it can cause rust. It can on the lever where some folks like to wrap it for the coolness factor.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:56 pm I always thought the leather lace was just to stop the ring rattling against the receiver.
Joe, I was kidding you about the rust, the saddle ring was perfect when I received it from you and it just looks right on my Winchester, handy as the takedown screw too 8)
The original 94 saddle ring stud would allow the ring to rattle against the receiver. The later ones were made different so the ring wouldn't hit the receiver.
The 92s and I think earlier models were held on with a U-shaped staple and would really ding up the receiver. Thus the lace was used to stop the rattling.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

remshooter wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:00 am Pete44ru, were did you get that slip on sling ?,i could use a few of those for my lever actions ,i dont want to drill holes in ,like my Win 1886
I bought it many years ago from the sporting goods department of F.W.Woolworth & Co (WOOLCO< now defunct).

I've made copies for some friends out of the same 1" wide Cordua nylon (48" long), 8" of woven elastic strap, and short (3/8" length of a small diameter rigid plastic tubing.

The elastic holds the split end of the Cordua strap to the butt

The plastic tubing holds the noose tightly around the magazine tub & barrel

I sewed them up by hand.