I just saw that the 1895 is back.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

I just saw that the 1895 is back.

Post by piller »

My July issue of Shooting Times says that the 1895 is back in production. .405 Winchester was tested, and 30-06 is listed as available. Price was just a little over $1100, so it is not cheap. However, that is lower than a used one in good condition. Considering the amount of work that goes into a rifle like that, the price seems reasonable. I think I need to start saving my lunch money for one in 30-06. Or, maybe one in .405 instead. I am sure I can find something to shoot that is worthy of Teddy Roosevelt's Big Medicine caliber. A low power pistol scope to fit in the slot for the rear sight would sound ideal for 100 yards or a few more. My aging eyes are not quite good enough for tight work at 100 yards, but a .405 with a 2.5 to 4 power long eye relief scope should be able to take anything from deer or pig up to Cape Buffalo.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Re: I just saw that the 1895 is back.

Post by barbarossa »

I have one of the miroku 95 carbines in 30/06 and like it a lot and would luv to have one in 303 british
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Would not mind having a M95 in .30-40 in the vault.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Maybe steve hornady will read this and order his peoples to run some .405 ammo.

And maybe some 220 gr. .375"

And perhaps some more of the 150 products they discontinued in 2012-2013.
m.A.g.a. !
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Piller....you will enjoy the '06 a whole lot more........very versatile in loading and components are everywhere......the 405 will get old real quick. ...expensive to shoot and as we all shoot our guns a whole lot more than hunting with them, you'll see what I mean. I've owned and shot almost all of them in originals......the 405 was my least favorite...didn't own it..just shot it. The 35 is much more versatile as it's the 405 necked down and you can shoot cheap pistol bullets. The 30-40 and the '06 are the best.....in my view.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ray wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:47 pmAnd maybe some 220 gr. .375"
↑ ↑ ↑ THIS!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

A Model 1895 musket in 7.62x53mm would be worth lusting after.

Jack
Plottman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Plottman »

They are nice, I have an 06, Miroku with a peep sight, works very well, Made very well, I can not find an original I can afford, but am still looking for one in 06. I have a question for the guys with the originals with the scalloped stock, do you prefer that to the shotgun / straight cut stock?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Piller,
Peter Richards on this forum has an 1895 .405 with a scout scope and 86er and I have shot it - it works very well. That setup could work well with any 1895 caliber with QD rings and factory irons.

Six - Opinions differ on the versatility of the 1895 .405, but I just want to remind folks that the 210 grain bullets for the .41 mag pistol work well in the .405 rifle and can be loaded slow for plinking or warmer for deer, hogs and such. I have done that and the recoil is not significant. What you say about availability of loaded ammo and brass is true though.

As an aside, some recent posts on other sites about the 400 Whelen motivated me to research that cartridge and some other cartridges from 9.3 through .41 caliber rifles. What I found was that the .405 WCF is equal to or just barely exceeded in velocity with 300 grain bullets. Of course the .416 magnum rifles shoot 400 grain bullets at 200 or more FPS faster and provide for longer range shots, but for most hunting ranges, the .405 WCF is hard to beat for larger game. As I have previously documented, the 1895 .405 can be hand loaded to take large dangerous game with either NF 300 or Woodleigh 400 grain bullets.

You pays your money and takes your choice. :)
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

CRS.....well said......forgot about the 41 mag bullets............I was thinking from a "this or that choice" .......ahhh, what the heck, buy one in each caliber.---6

Plottman....I have em in both configurations......as expected, the shotgun butt is much more comfortable to shoot.
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I already have a Rem 700 in 30-06. I am leaning toward the .405 just because it is different.
D. Brian Casady
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

piller wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 12:56 pm I already have a Rem 700 in 30-06. I am leaning toward the .405 just because it is different.
Ok.....I get it.....your leaning towards the cartridge more than the rifle. It sure is different and most certainly nostalgic....I've always trusted my gut feeling and throwing out practicality, especially when you already have an example of this or that...go for the mighty one!----6
Model A Uzi’s
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The 30-06 is a great caliber and it would be as good as anyone could ask for in the 1895, but I only have a .45-70 Guide Gun for anything larger than a 30-06 would be my choice for. I am leaning toward the heavy caliber. I have a chance coming up for a job that is Monday through Friday. If I get it, I am hoping to get to the range more often. I need to go back to the .22 for a while. Last week I got 1100 rounds of Federal .22lr for $45.00. Still, I am looking at a heavy caliber.
D. Brian Casady
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

One of my favourite levers
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

With that curved metal butt, I shot about one box of Hornady 300s in mine and put it into the safe for lots of years until I met someone who wanted it. If I didn't have a nice .444 I might have had it cut and a nice PPad put on it. Brutal.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Scrumbag
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scrumbag »

Interesting option for an 1895.

The guy who owns this 1895 is Finnish and I think it is chambered in 7.62x53r

It's a custom mount for an Aimpoint H-1 (2?) that fits in the rear right block. Interesting eh?

Check out Leogronlund_outdoors on instagram if you have it. Some cool hunting.

Scrummy
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I guess I would be the oddball and wish they would chamber it for the 35Winchester.
Like that aim point gadget, doesn't look right, but for those of us with "no more open sights" eyes, might be practical.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I like the 35 Winchester idea too, but what would really ring my bell would be a 303 British as someone else has mentioned. Some people have had their 30-06 95s rebored to 35 Whelen which is kinda like a 35 Winchester..., but from a nostalgic point of view, it isn't the same. Isn't splitting hairs fun?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'm with you, too, Marlin. The .35 Winchester has always really intrigued me. I think it would make a fabulous cast bullet cartridge.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Agree on the 35 Winchester. Ken Waters had one made up on a Browning, think it was just a rebored 30-40 Krag. He did a write up on it in one of his Pet Loads columns.

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK....who wants a 35 Winchester Model 1895?.....I got a nice one here that's the scarce takedown with the scarce shotgun butt with the even rarer hard rubber butt plate. Bright shiney bore.....solid rifle.....excellent shooter with jacketed or cast.....solid 70% gun. $3200...more than fair....comes with brass and dies

Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow Six, rare stuff.

crs has a 405, iconic rifle, Big Medicine. Like to see him take more stuff hares to hair raising with it. .41 pistol bullets - interesting. Could qualify as Gun Digests One Good Gun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've always thought the '95 in .30-40 was the most historic version since they left Tampa with the Rough Ridders to go to Cuba. From a practical point of view I can see where the '06 would be the way to go.
Downloaded with cast bullets, that rifle in '06 would shoot forever.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

Sixgun wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:38 pm OK....who wants a 35 Winchester Model 1895?.....I got a nice one here that's the scarce takedown with the scarce shotgun butt with the even rarer hard rubber butt plate. Bright shiney bore.....solid rifle.....excellent shooter with jacketed or cast.....solid 70% gun. $3200...more than fair....comes with brass and dies

Wow Jack, nice rifle though well out of my range!

Eric
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Eric.....you ought to see the 95 takedown in '06 that's here....looks like it left the factory this morning but it was in 1917.
Model A Uzi’s
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Miroku makes a darn fine Winchester clone. I'll be looking to add a .405 to my collection since I already have a .30-06 and two .30-40 Krags.

peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

They sure work well on Buffalos’.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

There's a guy Ray Lewis on the show the Last Alaskans that uses a 95 in 35 win for moose & bear and walking about. Loaded up it would work on anything. danny
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I bought one in .270 about 20 years ago that I still have. At that time they weren't that popular.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I shoot an original take down version in .30-06. I actually had it reblued a couple years ago because it already had a replaced barrel so the receiver and barrell did not match. So now all the metal surfaces match. My gun, my choice. But getting a new one in .405 sounds appealing.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

elmo123 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:56 am I bought one in .270 about 20 years ago that I still have. At that time they weren't that popular.
The .270 ones are the highest priced right now.
They were so unpopular that the unsold ones got rebarrelled to .405, so the existing .270s became scarce.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

So far, I haven't seen one in a store. I really want to look over the fit and finish before I buy it. I probably won't shoot it a lot simply due to not having a lot of opportunity to hunt anymore. The lower powered loads using .41 mag bullets sound well matched for deer and wild pigs. I have a .30-30 and a .35 Remington levergun. Both of those are more accurate than I am, and they are just fine for deer and wild pigs. Just saying that need is not the reason. I just want one, and it sounds as if it would be fun. I am also looking for one of those funny side levers in .375 Ruger. I am saving up to go back to Africa, and want to do it before I get too old. I turn 54 in less than a week, so I still have time. I just want it to be as enjoyable as last time, and getting close enough to in shape as I can get will help. Taking a .375 caliber and a .405 caliber is my goal. Now I just have to do my part and reach that goal.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"I am also looking for one of those funny side levers in .375 Ruger. I am saving up to go back to Africa, and want to do it before I get too old. I turn 54 in less than a week, so I still have time. I just want it to be as enjoyable as last time, and getting close enough to in shape as I can get will help. Taking a .375 caliber and a .405 caliber is my goal. Now I just have to do my part and reach that goal."

I can't say enough good about my Ruger 375 'Alaskan'. It it accurately delivers over 4,000 ft-lbs and a huge Taylor Knock-out value, but recoils like a Tanker Garand or Marlin Guide Gun. Trajectory is almost as 'flat' as a 270 Win with factory loads, too. Plus, it is a Ruger, so what's not to like....?!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
1895 flatside
Levergunner

Post by 1895 flatside »

I collect original 1895's and have multiples of each caliber. While I don't have any modern reproductions, I do hunt mule deer with a 35 WCF and antelope with a 30-06 TD on my ranch in Oregon. The 405 isn't a lot of fun to shoot with full power loads, but can be loaded down. Buffalo Arms even sells a "cowboy action" 405 cartridge that is pleasant to shoot.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Wow, Flatside, hunting eastern Oregon mulies with a .35 Winchester. Doesn't get much cooler than that!
Used to live near Redmond. Hunted mulies in the Beulah unit back in the day. Miss that country.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

1895 Flatside,
The factory Hornady 300 grain loads are "big medicine" for most game, but recoil takes on a new meaning with my 400 grain DG hand loads at 2070 fps. Like many things in life, I got used to them and they do the job when needed.
Fortunately, my .405 double rifle handles them all with modest felt recoil.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

@csr:
That thick recoil pad on your 95 looks like it would help take out some of the recoil!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have Gun Genie set to send me an email when it is in stock. Only .405 and .30-06 to be produced this time. PillHer is fine with me getting it.
D. Brian Casady