Sold One...Bought One

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Sold One...Bought One

Post by jkbrea »

When I retired I bought a new 3rd gen .45 Colt SAA because I had always wanted one. Only thing is, it felt too small for may hands and ended up a safe queen. I didn't like my pinky under the grip and if I moved my hand up, the hammer dug into the web of my hand. Shooting it was not comfortable. So....I sold it couple weeks back, (at a decent profit!), and bought an original frame Vaquero in .44 magnum. It was built in '97. I shot it a couple days ago and love it. It fits my hand much better and shooting.44 specials is a pleasure! Magnum loads are manageable but does beat up the knuckle on my middle finger some. I'll probably just use mag loads when packing out elk or hiking back country areas. These are the first six shots using some .44 mag factory 180 grain JSP at 20 yards.
20190512_154719.jpg
20190513_113743.jpg
20190513_113706.jpg
20190513_113931.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Sold One...Bought One

Post by AJMD429 »

At first I thought maybe you went to a Bisley Vaquero....I didn't know the Colt grips were smaller than the regular Ruger ones....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I'm not an expert on them but I know the older Vaqueros are built on the Blackhawk frames. I know it fits my hand a lot better than the Colt did. Maybe the grips are just fatter.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This is a .45 but the grip is larger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I like the feel of the Bisleys better.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Allowing for tolerances and different generations, the Colt SAA and original Ruger flat top XR3 grips are almost identical in size and shape. They re so close that the Colt grips can be used on the Ruger if you drill another set of locator pin holes in them.

The Ruger XR3-RED grip frame as used on most later old and New model Ruger Blackhawks and original Vaqueros is not much different in size but is a bit different in contour and thickness. The biggest difference is the 1/4" extra room between the grip frame and back of the trigger guard.
They do however feel much bigger.

To me the Ruger XR3-RED grip style ruins the balance of the revolver. And they beat the stuffins out of my knuckle no matter how I grip them.
So I've retro fitted all my Ruger SAs to the original Colt style XR3 grip style. Much better ... for me.

Trading a Colt SAA for a Ruger? Ugh, that would be like trading a fine appaloosa for a mule.
Just teasing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

good move. the target says it all. that's a whole beach full of venison right there.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've had .357 Blackhawks (3-screw) & still have Colt SAAs , Joe is right. But, I think the 44 NM Blackhawks had a slightly longer grip. It'd have to be a fabulous mule for me to trade.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Something how that "grip-to-the-hand-comfortable" thing works. Everyone's hands are different along with how you perceive it should feel, where you hold your hand in relation to the shooting eye.

If your Vacaro fits your hand like you like it...stay with it.. how well you shoot it offhand is usually the final determining factor. I "cut my teeth" on an OM Ruger .357 with the XR3-Red frame but soon graduated to an N Frame Model 29 with the large target grips.......although I own many Colts, flattop Rugers, OM Rugers, DA Smiths and DA Colts from the 1870's on, I do my best offhand shooting with an N-frame Smith with the target stocks or the large Smith finger groove ones.

I do my worst with any semi auto, especially Glocks or the newer Smiths. A 1911 works for me.

Follow through is very important with any gun but especially more so with the single action due to the longer hammer drop.

Kinda reminds me...I need to drop the hammer on something.....this three week rain we've been having puts a damper on about everything.---6
Model A Uzi’s
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've been trading SAAs for 65 years or so and I used to run across one with an 1860 Army grip frame. What are they, 1/4" longer but that is enough to keep that pinky on the grip instead of curled under it. I guess Colt collectors have changed all of them back to the original grip frame to keep the collector value because I haven't seen one altered that way in a long time. I get along fine with my little finger curled under the grip. In fact I think it helps me keep the same grip while shooting SASS. My favorite class is Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter and If I were still able to compete I might use Colt Bisleys since, for me, they handle better one handed. I get a new knee next month so maybe....?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

Another reason I sold it off was it was too dang pretty to be taking out in the woods and beat up. Having a Colt in a box tucked away in a safe wasn't for me. This Vaquero is slightly used and is a tank, Plus with the money I made off of it I'm also getting a Smith & Wesson shield for concealed carry or when I'm riding , and probably a shotgun soon. And I'll still have money left over for a bunch of ammo! :lol: