Lead hardness testers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Lead hardness testers

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Except for a small batch of 20:1 alloy and some pure lead wire I have purchased over the years, I have been content to cast boolits using a little of everything and a lot of range scrap mostly casting handgun slugs for 25-yard work. I'd like to step up my game and be better informed about the general hardness of the bullets I cast and shoot, so I am looking at lead hardness testers.
The cheapest appears to be a set of art pencils of varying hardness -- if the pencil scrapes up a small shaving of lead, the pencil is harder than the lead. Lots about this at castboolits.com.
I'd prefer something more sophisticated and less fiddly. The interesting Lee tester is next up at just over $60, followed by the old workhorse LBT at $100, the Cabine Tree at $125 and the Saeco at $189.
Leaning toward the LBT but saw a good Youtube on how read the Lee properly.
Who has used these or has thoughts? JimT, I know you have Veral's tester by your recent posts.
JimT
Shootist

Re: Lead hardness testers

Post by JimT »

Yes, I have the LBT. I am not sure how old it is but it is simple, strong and will last .. I can attest to that. I think I have had it since the 1980's, but it could have been in the 90's.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I use the LEE tester and it seems to work fine but I have nothing to compare it with other than a portable Rockwell tester that works in the same manner except it just does C scale.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a Saeco hardness tester. I mostly use it to compare batches of alloy of unknown mix. It works well but no way to check accuracy or calibration.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I use an automatic center punch to give me a clue about the relative hardness of my scrap lead. Not that it matters, I melt and cast everything.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

My LBT is probably 30 years old by now. Always works and easy to use.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Saeco......very accurate from pure lead to the hardest of alloys----6
Model A Uzi’s
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:46 pmYes, I have the LBT. I am not sure how old it is but it is simple, strong and will last .. I can attest to that. I think I have had it since the 1980's, but it could have been in the 90's.
Likewise, simple and works... what's not to like?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I used to use a friends Saeco and liked it quite well . But he left us a few years ago and his heirs did who knows what with it .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

When it comes to precision measuring instruments, don't cheap out. You get what you pay for. I really like my Saeco. It's a very old one made of steel. The one drawback to it is that it will only test bullets, not scrap lead pieces or ingots. For those I have a Cabine Tree hardness tester. For me, the Saeco is easiest to use.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have a Lee tester, but had quite a bit of hassle with the microscope. I have a magnifying visor and dial calipers, so I just measured the dimple with my calipers. It's not difficult to "frame" the dimple with the calipers and the visor enlarges enough to get good measurements. There are many ways to mount the microscope (I used a 45 ACP taper crimp die to hold the 'scope and mounted it in my single stage press) but I prefer to just measure the dimple with my calipers. Works for me...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...